Do we sometimes get too hung up on looking like cyclists

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sandra6

Veteran
I wear whatever I feel comfortable in.
If I'm cycling to the shops its most likely to be jeans or a skirt. If we go for a pootle on a sunny day I'll put on shorts and a t shirt. If I'm going to be in the saddle for most of the day I do have padded pants for the occasion.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
:ohmy::ohmy::ohmy::ohmy::ohmy::ohmy:

No wonder some of you lot never get waved at or nodded to.

This is why I have different bikes. On long rides on the good bikes on the roads, I wear the kit, just because I'd be uncomfortable, and not enjoying myself, and unnecessarily putting myself at more risk, than I need to. On a short ride, through a park, or whatever, I just jump on the snotter and get on with it. There are a lot of folk, who will don the full pro kit, for a ride to the shops though.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Nothing makes you look more like a cyclist than a bike. It's a bit if a giveaway really, regardless of what you're wearing.

Personally I prefer MTB gear to road gear, as it most resembles the stuff I wore in my first cycling life in the 70s and 80s. Although to be honest I've never tried a full lycra gimp suit and duck shoes outfit, so I'm in no position to criticise it.

Each to their own.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Actually I've thought about it and I do care about some cyclists and what they wear ..... It's those ones who insist on wearing Lycra and getting their money's worth out of their shorts.... I don't want to see what colour underware or worse that you are wearing!:eek:xx(

screenman

Legendary Member
Nothing makes you look more like a cyclist than a bike. It's a bit if a giveaway really, regardless of what you're wearing.

Personally I prefer MTB gear to road gear, as it most resembles the stuff I wore in my first cycling life in the 70s and 80s. Although to be honest I've never tried a full lycra gimp suit and duck shoes outfit, so I'm in no position to criticise it.

Each to their own.

I think you just did^_^

Drago

Legendary Member
Commute is only 3 miles so I just wear normal clothes...
Not sure I would describe flares, a kaftan and sandals as normal!

yello

OK, so I'll join in.

I always wear lyrca/cycling kit for my rides. Because it's comfortable, I'm used to it and it takes no time at all to change into.

That said, I don't commute and if I'm nipping down to the shop then I walk. My rides are invariabley more than 90 minutes so comfort is key.

As ever, context is important.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
I dress contextually. If I'm going to shops, I don't want to look like the captain of a UFO. I tend to wear cycling gear to cycling events and when I am just riding for sport, but a much more toned down version for shopping or other errands. If you consider Jamaica shorts and a golf shirt(same as cycling jersey, without back pockets) toned down. Our club jersey is also rather loud and quite distinctive, so it doesn't fit in most non-cycling places.

Top Bottom