Do we sometimes get too hung up on looking like cyclists

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
I do like my padded shorts. Damage to pelvis and a damaged coccyx that refuses to mend properly is all helped with a bit of padding. Tomorrow morning I have a quick 4 miles each way trip and it'll be done in jeans and a teeshirt, possibly with my plimmy bag to carry a lock and a pair of sneakers, as not everyone appreciates cycle shoes on their floors.

Anything over about 10 miles, I rather need the padded shorts and I tend to use cycling shoes the whole time now, especially after a foot slipped off a regular pedal and I fell off rather nastily (not my bike).

Sometimes I ride in my fleece, rather than my Altura. I regularly wear a normal tee shirt and take my hiking bum-bag thing with me.

matiz

Guru
I just jump on and go with what I'm wearing on the hybrid and MTB but its always the Lycra on the road bike I don't feel comfortable in anything else

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Never wore 'cycling' kit until about 10 year ago but it does work. Jeans now seem to 'drag' on my legs making every mile seem more tiring, plus I got fed up wearing the arse out of decent (faded and properly 'worn' looking denims) so now it is Lycra and Altura cruisers (summer or winter versions) for me
Still wear undercrackers though, none of this 'commando' styleee for me thank you. xx(

winjim

Smash the cistern
I've got cycling gear I can wear in normal situations, rather than normal clothes I can ride in. So baggy shorts or 3/4 with a loose jersey or jacket and spds I can walk in. It takes me less time to get changed than it does to get the bike out of the shed.

That's on the CdF. Full kit on the roadie, obv.

anothersam

SMIDSMe
I don't wear much in the way of "cycling" clothes because I don't tend to like them against my skin. Lycra just feels like it's molesting me. Get by with cotton Ts and women's (you read that right) shorts when it's nice, something longer topped with a light fleece in the winter.

The only cycle-specific apparel I wear are stiff-soled shoes, woolie boolies (actually the only socks I wear full stop), and padded gloves.

woolie.gif

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I'm happy to ride in jeans and a fleece/T shirt/ sweater for 20 miles. When going for longer rides, I resort to padded lycra bibs. The good news is that I never venture out with my figure-hunging attire until it's dark, thus sparing the sleeping population some considerable distress.

Keith Oates

Janner
If I'm going out for a ride I use cycling clothes, It's just as easy to put that on as any other clothes. I also sweat very quickly so so using non cycling clothes doesn't make sense.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

numbnuts

Legendary Member
horses for courses

screenman

Legendary Member
Full kit for me, I only do training type rides. I fully understand for others that use their bike like the OP mentions that it would seem maybe a waste of time to get dressed up, which for me takes about 3 minutes. So if that would make up 1/2 the ride, well to be honest I would not plan on a 6 minute ride.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Bumbling round with kids or popping to the shops then it is just regular clothes, for the commute then it is spds and high vis. If out MTB'ing or on the road then it is cycle specific baggies / Lycra.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Full kit for me... time to get dressed up, which for me takes about 3 minutes.

Takes me longer than that to find my kit, and the only cycle specific clothes I use are padded shorts.

Then there's tinkering around with water bottles, a lock, snacks, followed by mounting a bag on the bike to carry it.

Removing the bike from its 'secure' storage takes a bit more time.

So for me, preparation can discourage starting a ride.

screenman

Legendary Member
Pale I am slightly more organised than that, every bike is ready to go along with tubes co2 etc under the saddle. 3 pairs of cycling shoes in my office by front door along with 2 helmets, buffs, caps, gloves etc. Garmin is on charge on a shelf beside where the bikes hang up. At least 3 complete sets of cycle clothing hanging in the cupboard ready to choose from. Bottles a choice of quite a few in a specific cupboard in the kitchen, beside whatever I decide to add.

It seems to work for me.

Levo-Lon

Guru
I wear roadie gear on my road bike and mtb gear on the mtb.
always wear padded shorts commando, never used to until i tried it..what a difference..
i like cycle shoes whether its spd spdl or flats..

that said i just hop on a bike and ride it with what ever if its a quick couple of miles..

Top Bottom