Do we sometimes get too hung up on looking like cyclists

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BigAl68

Über Member
I wear cycling gear on most days as I ride at least 30 miles most days. I don't when I cycle a few miles to the pub or to go shopping. Yesterday I had a go at downhill MTB so put on my bibs and then a baggy pair of shorts and a tshirt on top. I think wear what you want or what works for you. Riding the bike is more important than what you look like doing it.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I cycle in what I want to wear that day, with quite a few days being leggings, proper cycle gear is more likely in winter or rides over 20 miles.

Julia9054

Guru
I haven't worked out a way of cycling even relatively short distances without turning into a sweaty mess! So I wear sports gear for commuting and change when I get to work and Lycra for longer rides at weekends. Cycling specific clothing is designed to do the job and, although I'll spend money on decent padded shorts, much of the rest of my stuff is second hand from eBay so no more expensive than regular sports wear.

Drago

Legendary Member
I wear the gear because it's most comfortable, appropriate and workable. Ending up looking like a 'cyclist' is simply an unavoidable by product of that, not the goal. I'll no more ponce around in Team Sky gear than I will drive to the shops in Ferrari overalls and helmet.

Last edited:

jazzkat

Fixed wheel fanatic.
I always wear 'proper' cycling gear because all my rides are either out all day or one hour full on training type efforts and Lycra stuff is just the best for that type of ride. I've got a few merino mix jerseys that are quite retro and look great off the bike. I dislike team kits and wouldn't be seen in one.

Dave7

Legendary Member
I wear padded shorts (lycra) but wear a pair of "Funkier" shorts on top..........just so I dont look like a real cyclist :smile:
I never used to wear padded shorts but in my old age:smile:.......as I've got back into cycling........I just cant do without them (or my bum can't)
I do believe that the right clothes help i.e. they are designed to do a specific job such as wicking base layer so you dont get overly sweaty & cold etc.

TheJDog

dingo's kidneys
Cotton underwear and jeans are fine for anything less than a mile, which is my cut off for walking. Anything over a mile and they get horribly sweaty. Maybe that's just me.

yello

Does anyone else just get the feeling that maybe we all get too bothered about being 'cyclists' ?
Just wondering.

I think I know what you mean, and I like wondering about stuff too! As I stood and watched cyclists in London only a couple of weeks ago, it was difficult NOT to notice the amount of full-on roadie kit on display. (I have no problem with that BTW, just an observation).

I reached no conclusion with that thought (there are many things one might conclude) but I did also notice, in amongst the lyra and specs, cyclists in civvies. The blokes in suits on Boris bikes made me smile. I saw bikes as function and not just fashion.

Noise can obscure. It is too easy to see only the kit (maybe there's roleplay too but that's harmless enough) and not see the big picture. People on bikes are OK by me in whatever form they take.

Hill Wimp

Fair weathered,fair minded but easily persuaded.
If i am going out on the road bike it's lycra and a cycle jersey anything else just doesnt feel right.

On the hybrid it's whatever suits the weather conditions and what i'm doing such as now when its shorts and t shirt as i have just cycled to the beach.

On the tourer it's lycra bottoms but whatever on top.

When I played cricket, I wore cricket clothing.

When I play golf, I wear golf clothing.

It goes without saying that I wear cycling clothing when I cycle - although not the replica wannabee team kits, but lycra and proper clothing for an improper cyclist (i.e. not a serious cyclist).

Top Bottom