Drafting on the commute - Guardian article

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rowan 46

Über Member
Don't think I have ever seen drafting in Birmingham. To be fair Brum doesn't seem to have the same concentration of cyclists as London except maybe a couple of routes on the west side.

Sensibly done I've not issue with someone behind me, I dont make an effort to do it myself but as long as I dont notice you I dont care :thumbsup:

The only time it annoyed me was on a canal towpath, at night, with the chap behind me having lighthouse grade illumination :rolleyes:

Boris Bike

I'll do it if there is a long stretch with a strong headwind and I can find a hefty guy on a MTB to slot behind, but in general the traffic in London is too stopy/starty for me.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
No one to draft on my commute, apart from the occasional single-decker bus or tractor. Social riding, or club runs, I only draft with people I really trust.

But I do try it when atop a Boris Bike, just for laughs, when in town.

Alan Whicker

I cannot be caught. Therefore, I cannot be drafted.
whistling.gif

Simba

Specialized Allez 24 Rider
If anyone tries to draft me they better be prepared for a sudden large increase in the pace. I don't like anyone on my back wheel as I've almost been hit by a moron drafter at speed. Had someone try to draft me yesterday at around 22mph, when I noticed them I upped the pace to 32mph and they couldn't keep up.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
I cannot be caught. Therefore, I cannot be drafted.
whistling.gif

I can always be caught but not sure of how useful drafting would be for someone at my speeds :biggrin:

Personally I couldn't care less, but run into the back of me, or try to whinge that I haven't pointed out a pothole, and you can f*ck right off and pray you haven't damaged me or my bike.

martint235

Dog on a bike
I also tend to speed up if someone drafts me. I'm not overly comfortable with it as I'm unsure of their cycling ability (and I know that my own bike handling verges on the very poor!!).

jagman.2003

Über Member
I sometimes draft or slipstream to have a short rest & gauge how fast & when I can overtake. I was having a nice little rest behind a mountain bike the other day, then he pulled over to let me pass. Not sure if he was being polite or just wanted to tail me for a while. I had to put the foot down then to make sure he didn't.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Personally I couldn't care less, but run into the back of me, or try to whinge that I haven't pointed out a pothole, and you can f*ck right off and pray you haven't damaged me or my bike.

This

I also tend to speed up if someone drafts me. I'm not overly comfortable with it as I'm unsure of their cycling ability (and I know that my own bike handling verges on the very poor!!).

And this.

However it can be very enjoyable sometimes, especially if both (or more) cyclists know what they are doing and are aware.

400bhp

Guru
I'm not really bothered too. Why not help each other (if done properly).

I haven't had many opportunities to do this though. I will sit on someone's behind who has made a conscious effort to pass me at an inopportune moment (like waiting at T lights and someone pulls alongside).

Top Bottom