Drafting on the commute - Guardian article

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jezston

Über Member
Not enough cyclists of similar level to myself on my pretty low cyclist-encountering commute - everyone else is either pootling about on a mtb, old tourer or hybrid and way slower than me, or some deeply serious roadie and faster than me.

Think I would feel uncomfortable if someone I didn't know starting doing it to me - not so much the personal space but I would be concerned about safety.

Bicycle

If they don't take their turn at the front its a compliment. If they do, its an advantage.

I like the spirit of this response... but on a bad day I'm not that accommodating.

I used to commute a lot in the sticks (10+ miles between villages). It was lonely, so meeting another rider added colour and variety.

Few went at exactly my speed, but those who did almost all 'got it' and would share the work. It was like having a pop-up training partner some days... :biggrin: .

Only embarrassing moment was when I spat (almost) straight at a 'ghost drafter' who was right on my wheel without having announced himself. I look behind a lot, so I have no idea how he got there.... and he was TdF close.

I felt bad, but I imagine he felt worse.

barongreenback

Über Member
Don't think I have ever seen drafting in Birmingham. To be fair Brum doesn't seem to have the same concentration of cyclists as London except maybe a couple of routes on the west side.

What's your usual route? Don't see many of us on the A38 on the way out to Longbridge, despite the marked lanes and bus lanes.

Drafting is a bit more dangerous than not drafting.

But it more efficent.

Same for cars... but is even more dangerous - so wouldn't do it. For anyone that has a trip computer with MPG, follow a lorry at a set distance, and then get closer - it works really well sometimes, makes you think that all these tailgating loons aren't actually money saving experts :tongue: (probably not with all the braking some of them have to do).

So if you want to be safer don't draft - but if you're like one of the many that can make resonable judgements and not cry over others not using a helmet etc - you're probably okay, away from busy streets and cities.

I do think commting drafting a few inches is silly though, a foot or so will do :tongue:

Having just completed a 3up TTT last night, drafting is niiiiiiiice. High speeds with bugger all effort is the future!

Leaway2

Lycrist
I don't see many others in the morning, but they are welcome to draft. On the way home though its sometimes difficult not to, I need to be close enough to pass when traffic allows.

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
Me too.
;)

You didn't take your turn at the front? You lazy bum!

Lap 2 I had to do solo! As rider 1 had a puncture (it was reversed from the normal all riders start and one peels off style).

It's crazy how easy it is to maintain these speeds when barely pedalling :biggrin: at times having to coast too lol

rowan 46

Über Member
What's your usual route? Don't see many of us on the A38 on the way out to Longbridge, despite the marked lanes and bus lanes.

Thinking about it. It was more wishful thinking than actuality when I said a couple of routes in the west of brum There appears to be more riders on the west side but the only time I can recall a concentration of cyclists is probably the skyride a few weeks ago. blush.gif

Top Bottom