Drafting on the commute - Guardian article

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I cruise at 22mph waiting for someone a bit quicker to overtake me and then suck their wheel all the way to my destination.

At least my way I don't have to feel guilty about not taking a turn because they chose to overtake me in the first place.

billy1561

BB wrecker
How does drafting work? If someone catches me they are obviously travelling quicker and invariably pass me. Same the other way round too I never sit on the back wheel if I have caught them up unless traffic dictates I must.

biking_fox

Guru
Laden lorries are the best thing to draft. They take a little while to accellerate so you can keep up with them from a dead stop, have huge drafting zones, and generally aren't turning off down the side roads like buses or tractors.

I tend to draft a bit and then overtake. Few if any people who draft me seem to do the same.

What's "the signal" to say, 'oi your turn now!' ? (I'm on a hub gear so I can't obviously downshift which I thought was the 'normal' signal.

martint235

Dog on a bike
Someone actually thanked me this morning when I turned off a road. He'd been drafting me for a mile or so on the London side of Shooters Hill. I think he said thank you anyway.

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
How does drafting work? If someone catches me they are obviously travelling quicker and invariably pass me. Same the other way round too I never sit on the back wheel if I have caught them up unless traffic dictates I must.

Pedal like crazy until you catch up, then sit behind for a few minutes whilst you recover and get your breath back. Wait a bit longer until you are feeling strong again, then overtake.

And if you are well behaved, give them a draft too.

I'm a bit ambivalent about this - I really don't like a motor vehicle tailgating me, it gives me the willies, but I'm totally happy for another cyclist to draft behind me. I'm also happy to draft others, or vehicles even. Maybe that's a bit hypocritical? Maybe not, I'm at big risk from a vehicle tailgating me, but the other situations don't present much danger, if any, to others.

Like that uber racing bent of yours has enough of a profile to draft for others anyway! ;)

Saundie

Über Member
I seem to fall into the awkward gap of being much faster than commuters on MTB/hybrids, but not fast enough to keep up with "roadies", so drafting doesn't really come into it for me. I try to avoid getting to other cyclists as a general rule anyway, as I find I can't trust them not to do something silly :smile:

Jonathing

Über Member
And if you are well behaved, give them a draft too.

I've never worked out how to do this. I overtake, slow a little but keep the pace at about what they were doing and when I next look over my shoulder they've dropped way back. I can only assume everyone here is working so hard to keep ahead of me than by the time I overtake they've blown.

thehairycycler

I had a drafter on my way to work tonight, I was at a TL and he pulled up beside me and asked politly if he could draft on my wheel for a bit I was fine with it, the fact he knew what he was asking made me feel better. he followed until I had to turn off onto another road at the next set of lights. and I got a polite thankyou and a recommendation to join the Local cycle club ( i've been a couple of times but been at the back so not many people will know my face haha)

Vikeonabike

CC Neighbourhood Police Constable
There are few cyclists on my commute that both parties end up riding side by side. However I have a couple of peeps that regularly blast past me and shout a cheery "Hop on" as they pass. I have the same attitude, If I don't want to slow down for a chat and I pass, get on the back wheel, it's not like riding in the city here, I only have 6 junction to negotiate in 15 miles.

Top Bottom