Drafting on the commute - Guardian article

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bicycle

where do we stand on drafting Tractors :biggrin:

Tractors.... some of them do just under my cruising speed out in the sticks.

Uphill they are faster and downhill they are mobile chicanes. If we didn't need all that food they help to farm, I'd ban them tomorrow!

And they are not good drafting material.

The drivers don't want anyone too close to them and even quite modern tractors are inclined to move around laterally when driving at 20-ish mph.

Driving a tractor on tarmac (especially with something hanging off the twin arms) is a bit of a task. Not for the novice.

They also sometimes chuck mud off the rear treads.

Jonathing

Über Member
I'll post here what I posted there

Yes, I draft. And I expect to be drafted in return. On some of the coastal roads around here there have even been echelons formed of commuting cyclists. As a club rider I'm used to someone sitting on my wheel and to sitting on theirs too, I don't break suddenly and I don't expect others to either, if someone looks like a liability I don't sit behind them, I get out of the saddle and overtake.

Sometimes I pick up a drafter and decide to see if I can drop them, for sport, I start channelling Jens Voigt and make them suffer on my wheel until they cannot hold on any longer. And sometimes they rise to the challenge and I get dropped myself. But it all adds to the fun.

Bobtoo

Über Member
Doesn't it cause extra drag for the leading cyclist?

I have to say I would regard uninvited slipstreaming as an invasion of my personal space.

400bhp

Guru
No, generally it benefits.

Tynan

Veteran
anyone wants to draft me is welcome, and I draft others whenever it suits, if I'm going quick enough to care I'm usually chasing someone that's passed me so it's more like following them closely as I like to think of it

it's certainly a massive advantage when you do it, I feel quite embarrassed by my freewheel going and maybe even a dab of brake when someone else is putting serious effort in

Bman

Guru
TBH the most slipstreaming I get is when I find myself behind a bus or other slow vehicle.

I dont see many other cyclists.

Slipstreaming motorists is a funny game. I DONT want to be "brake tested".

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
I'm a bit ambivalent about this - I really don't like a motor vehicle tailgating me, it gives me the willies, but I'm totally happy for another cyclist to draft behind me. I'm also happy to draft others, or vehicles even. Maybe that's a bit hypocritical? Maybe not, I'm at big risk from a vehicle tailgating me, but the other situations don't present much danger, if any, to others.

schlafsack

...I'm totally happy for another cyclist to draft behind me. I'm also happy to draft others...

I feel pretty much the same way and I was wondering if skating in a pack has helped. It's certainly made me feel a lot more comfortable moving at speed in close proximity to others.

Top Bottom