Dunwich Dynamo 2016

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Got my return coach tickets !

Surely it is a single, not a return? :blush:

Brian Stacks

I'm going to do it this year for the first time with a couple of friends who have previously done it. My only concern is that I have type 1 diabetes so can't use energy bars/gels so burn out quicker than others. I guess I might have to stop every 30 miles to check blood sugars and eat plus insulin before I continue to the finish.

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
I'm going to do it this year for the first time with a couple of friends who have previously done it. My only concern is that I have type 1 diabetes so can't use energy bars/gels so burn out quicker than others. I guess I might have to stop every 30 miles to check blood sugars and eat plus insulin before I continue to the finish.

post-36211-dead-or-alive-youre-coming-wit-Y41m.gif

Pack plenty of food, but I don't think stopping will be that onerous. It's all part of the fun. When I did it in 2012, there was an official food stop (which I never noticed) but also a local group giving away flapjacks and a van selling bacon sandwiches. So I probably stopped every 30 miles (including the combine puncture repair and lunch stop around midnight) without needing to.

Stopping is part of the the whole dunrun dynamic. If you set a good pace, your first and second stops could be at a pub. Are you riding with friends? If so, I'd hope they understand your needs. If not, there is zero problem (assuming you are confident in keeping your blood sugar under control and you are wearing appropriate id in case something does go wrong).

Last edited:

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod

I think I stopped at least every thirty miles just for another bacon buttie!

As others have said, Dun Run ain't a race. In fact I think I go a little slower each year! Fine by me, being later to arrive in Dunwich helps avoid the queue for the fry up :smile:

Reactions: 4F

Lee gg

Really getting close to booking this, God knows why just want to try it, what's the worst that can happen ??? Lol.

Lee gg

How hard is it really ? Pace ? all night ride, morale as a solo rider ?
Still want to to press confirm.

It's a lark. I did on my "own" in 2012, but found it pretty enjoyable. I had a flat tyre at one stage, and dozens of cyclists asked if I was ok. There was plenty of company. You can take all the time you want, it isn't a race, though they may "race" at the front. I took about 12 hours (ie slow), and there were plenty of riders behind me. The queue for the buses was very long, there's no chance you will miss the bus.

Lee gg

It's a lark. I did on my "own" in 2012, but found it pretty enjoyable. I had a flat tyre at one stage, and dozens of cyclists asked if I was ok. There was plenty of company. You can take all the time you want, it isn't a race, though they may "race" at the front. I took about 12 hours (ie slow), and there were plenty of riders behind me. The queue for the buses was very long, there's no chance you will miss the bus.
Thanks for the replys, think I'm doing it.

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
Too bad Abellio Greater Anglia train operator has banned bicycles on some of their trains or has set a limit to 10 per train on others. Ive heard that even if you make it to the station for a ride home you'll be given a ticket with a number on it and you're not allowed to board any train with your bicycle until they call out your number.

For that reason, Ive already got a friend who will meet me at the finishing point to drive me home. I had to buy a 'trunk rack' for his car to carry my bicycle & pay for his diesel & food on the day but thats about it.

Originally planned to hire a van and have people pay for feel and a little towards rental to bring back more people but the cheapest idea in the end was just to get a friend with a diesel car to drive me back.

The other friend who i was going to be doing the ride with isnt so sure if hes going or not anymore since I got a new carbon bike and told him about me doing rides with the Fridays & folks on CC - He doesnt think he'll be able to keep up with his 13kg Cube ltd edition hybrid bike thats around 7-8years old. so I may have a space in the car for one passenger.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
The other friend who i was going to be doing the ride with isnt so sure if hes going or not anymore since I got a new carbon bike and told him about me doing rides with the Fridays & folks on CC - He doesnt think he'll be able to keep up with his 13kg Cube ltd edition hybrid bike thats around 7-8years old. so I may have a space in the car for one passenger.

It's a long ride. "Can I keep up?" shouldn't be the main question, more "can I last the distance?" Neither of you will be going full blast - it's a long way. I've ridden a fair bit of the route (never done the event tho') and I don't remember it being very hilly so I doubt the extra weight (or age!) of your friend's bike will be much of a handicap. And as @User13710 says, you can always tell him that pace won't be an issue.

Just noticed that it's BHF London-Southend the next day and am now wondering how to combine the two somehow... anyone tried this? :smile:

Top Bottom