Dunwich Dynamo 2016

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

martint235

Dog on a bike
@jefmcg did on a folder a few years back

It sells out so don't dilly on booking, especially return transport
I didn't know you had to book to ride the DD? Or is it just if you want transport back rather than riding back?

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
That's a pity. You could always reassure him that you'll ride at his pace, after all it isn't a race it's just a jolly bike ride.

It's a long ride. "Can I keep up?" shouldn't be the main question, more "can I last the distance?" Neither of you will be going full blast - it's a long way. I've ridden a fair bit of the route (never done the event tho') and I don't remember it being very hilly so I doubt the extra weight (or age!) of your friend's bike will be much of a handicap. And as @User13710 says, you can always tell him that pace won't be an issue.

Ive reassured him already, I told him he'll be fine as we'll have a bunch of people on bromptons (& maybe the odd fixie??) in the group with us and its all about starting and finishing together (if possible)

He's still not sure though as he hasnt been able to arrange days off with work and other stuff. I told him to pull a sickie and just go :tongue:

Ive been trying to get him to go on a few FNRttC rides too but he doesnt have insurance on his bike or 3rd party insurance and doesnt want to get either of them so that pretty much ruled him out of FNRttC rides.

This guy has been commuting to work much much longer then i have and was one of the people that got me back into cycling. He hates how everything has to be so complicated and insists that he doesnt need any insurance so I didnt press the issue further.

rb58

Enigma
I'm highly likely to be doing it this year having missed the last Dun Running due to a severe case of couldn't-be-arsed-itis. I'll be riding back via Dartford Crossing, so if anyone else is going that way and wants company.

Ive been trying to get him to go on a few FNRttC rides too but he doesnt have insurance on his bike or 3rd party insurance and doesnt want to get either of them so that pretty much ruled him out of FNRttC rides.

The FNRttC doesn't require anyone to have bike insurance. Only that the rider has insurance, and seeing as you can get that for only £24 as an affiliate member, it's a bargain.

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
The FNRttC doesn't require anyone to have bike insurance. Only that the rider has insurance, and seeing as you can get that for only £24 as an affiliate member, it's a bargain.

Tell that to my friend. He doesnt care for it though I have constantly told him about the benefits of having liability insurance. But all he wants to do is get on his bike, and ride because cycling is/should be free etc etc and if youre insuring your bike or buying rider insurance then then cycling isnt so free anymore... Thats the way he thinks, Despite my best efforts to sway him.

Good example of him buying insurance for him and also the bike is he actually fell into a river last year before christmas after trying to dodge around a duck on the towpath by the river one day when he was cycling to work.

The bike was recovered by some of the barges that were in the area but he had to pay a little over £200 to have the bike ready to ride again, which for that bike isnt worth it. Part of the problem was bought on by the fact that he has no idea how to maintain his bike, doesnt touch the bikes drive train with any sort of lube or anything EVER. Again, I have tried to talk him into having the bike serviced or even a mini service every few months as he rides a lot more than i do but that to him is an unnecessary expenditure. A lot of that £200 he paid to have the bike up and running again were for parts he had to replace, New chain, cassette, cables etc etc.

I told him that if he was insured then his insurance company would of covered all of it but he's stuck in his stubborn ways and refuses to bend so I just give up trying to explain things.

A bike is a machine to a lesser extent, and like every machine out there, it works better when its well maintained & looked after.

I think hes a little pissy as he's the one that got me back into cycling, we used to go out for rides and stuff but since ive bought 2 other bikes and started hanging out and doing rides with CC'ers (& FNRttC soon!) and being a lot more serious about cycling, he's been a little jealous of how ive progressed beyond him and being his cycling partner that I once was and still am. Though thats not to say i wont go out for rides with him, I dont mind at all. but work keeps us out of each others way most of the time.

He's got to come off his high horse and get with the times.

Last edited:
U

User10571

Wow. A real stubborn character!
Most likely he has the makings of an accomplished Audaxer.

Don't blame me, Louise (otp) intimated a few years ago that her persistent stubborness was the reason she was drawn to Audax.

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
Wow. A real stubborn character!

Stubborn but he's got some cojones though. A few years back his ltd edition cube got stolen. He only managed to get it back because some police raided a crackhouse a few miles away and found it inside, because he had reported the bike as stolen to the police, they called him up to come collect it.

Since that day, he rides around with one of these big heavy gauge chains that weigh at least 8-10kg that people use to lock motorcycles with. He took it with him on a Dun run about two years ago. He actually completed the ride! he's the one that got me into doing the ride with him this year funnily enough.

I think my new wheels costing more than his bike does put him in a bit of a strop also lol, thats why he doesnt want to do the ride with me no more because my bike is just so much more technologically advanced than his that ive scared him off!

On another occasion when i tried to talk him into doing a ride with FNRttC, he told me he would rather do the ride by himself or with another person rather then pay to go as part of a bigger group.

Theres no talking to this guy.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Dunwich.png

This is my 2015 ride. 134 miles in all, but the actual 'Dynamo' is nearer to 115 miles. There's no long or hard hills on it to be worried about.
It's a great ride, but getting out of London was chaotic at about 20:00.

Hopefully I'll be on this years ride.

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
I will be doing it again, this will be my 9th all in and 4th double. Hills nothing to worry about, not much in the first half of the ride and only half a dozen smaller ones in the 2nd half from Sudbury onwards which always seem harder due to tiredness at that point.

Any pace goes, its a cracking ride.

Does anyone know if the bus tickets are transferrable? I'm thinking of trying to nag some reluctant cyclists into giving it try, and the tickets are now £25 shortly to go up to £45. If it would be allowable to pass it on to someone else (for the same price originally paid), I might be able to convince them to cough up now.

(at £25 it's less than the trip back from Whitstable on saturday)

Does anyone know if the bus tickets are transferrable? I'm thinking of trying to nag some reluctant cyclists into giving it try, and the tickets are now £25 shortly to go up to £45. If it would be allowable to pass it on to someone else (for the same price originally paid), I might be able to convince them to cough up now.

(at £25 it's less than the trip back from Whitstable on saturday)
Coach tickets are transferrable - liaise directly with Southwark Cyclists to arrange that. It can be done short notice too - even on the night or on the beach. :okay:

mattobrien

Guru
I am planning my first there and back this year, so will be dropping the car off at Dunwich on Saturday morning and cycling to London Fields and then cycling to Dunwich, a mere 225 miles...

Might take a camp bed with me for a more comfy snooze on the beach afterwards.

Top Bottom