First live gigs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
Without my parents (we saw Sky, Dave Brubeck, the Animals, probably more), I went to see Jean Michel Jarre Oxygene at Docklands with my brother when 15.

First gig without a family member, was A-Ha :wub::wub::wub: at Earls Court I think, got a lift there and back from friends dad, was probably around 15 then too

Slioch

Guru
Eddie & The Hot Rods, possibly at the Rainbow around '79 ish

U

User33236

Mine was 'Lloyd Cole and the Commotions' in 1986. Main reason was that my older sister's brother in law was keyboard player for the support act 'The Big Dish'.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
While I'd like to say it was The Fall at Preston Poly or something the truth is the first live rock band I saw was some evangelical christians who were touring schools in the late 70s. It was the first time I felt the bass right in my gut and I liked it.

First proper gig was Weather Report at the Dominion, went after school. Strange kid.

Tim Hall

I'd like to think it was the Tom Robinson Band at the Music Machine, Camden, but I think I saw Supertramp at the Brighton Centre before that. Even worse, The Devil aka Chris de Burgh was the support.

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
UB40, Birmingham University, in 1980 (I think). They had just released their first single, the double-A-sided "Food for Thought" and "King". "King" went down fairly well, and "Food for Thought" went down a storm. Everything else they did was either booed or met with stony silence. They ended up playing the same songs over and over again to appease the mob. Must have played "Food for Thought" at least 4 times. Looking back now it reminds me of the "Rawhide" scene in The Blues Brothers.

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
Most embarassing gig would have been the one a girlfriend dragged me to in Guildford in 1984 or 85. I was resplendent in Doc Martens, tight jeans and a U2 Red Flag muscle shirt which looked a tad out of place at an Imagination concert.

Levo-Lon

Guru
Most embarassing gig would have been the one a girlfriend dragged me to in Guildford in 1984 or 85. I was resplendent in Doc Martens, tight jeans and a U2 Red Flag muscle shirt which looked a tad out of place at an Imagination concert.

and now your just like your mum moaning about a little bit of car exhaust noise...

sorry couldt resist

Top Bottom