FLAT 100 km ride from Garforth, Saturday 11th June 2022

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Buck

Guru

Just a word of caution and not wishing to put a damper on a good day out in fine company but there is mention of a possible national rail strike beginning around that time.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Just a word of caution and not wishing to put a damper on a good day out in fine company but there is mention of a possible national rail strike beginning around that time.

Oh, SUPER! :sad:

Well, if that happens we will have to postpone until the trains are running again.

Fingers crossed that there isn't a problem on the day.

I have been thinking of organising a hilly forum ride round here. If the Garforth ride needs to be put back a few weeks, I might substitute the local one on the 11th. Most people seem to drive or cycle to our rides so that might be doable. Not being able to get to my own Garforth forum ride would be a bit embarrassing! :laugh:

Last edited:
OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

How hilly is hilly? :wacko:

Like this... :whistle:

Tod hilly 100 profile.png

Domus

Guru
Fingers crossed for running trains. :eek:

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Fingers crossed for running trains. :eek:

It isn't quite as bad as it looks because I have designed in some bailout options... You could go directly back to Todmorden on the A6033 from Littleborough at the 68 km point. That would only involve 50 more metres of gentle climbing and about 10 km. Alternatively you could avoid the 2 big hills at the end and head 2 km straight back into Todmorden from the 77 km point. You could make it even easier by continuing straight down into Hebden Bridge from Pecket Well (44 km point) and heading along the A646 to Tod, but then you would miss the cafe stop at the 60 km point ('Craggies').

Domus

Guru
Have been to Craggies before. From Sunny Radcliffe through Rawtenstall and Burnley, left at Toddy, through Hebden to Cragg Vale and on to Number 1 Daughter's at Sowerby, however all that was at my pace. :bicycle:

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Have been to Craggies before. From Sunny Radcliffe through Rawtenstall and Burnley, left at Toddy, through Hebden to Cragg Vale and on to Number 1 Daughter's at Sowerby, however all that was at my pace. :bicycle:

I would probably be looking at about 8 hours of riding time for the full hilly 100 km PLUS another hour or so of stops.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

There is a surprising lack of interest in the Garforth ride this year compared to previous ones! :sad:

Anyway... @Soltydog - what is the latest rail industrial action news? Are Northern trains likely to be running as planned on the 11th? :whistle:

Top Bottom