England : West Yorkshire Forum ride - Hebden Bridge to Otley, 15th July

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

potsy

Rambler
Colin of you are going on the askwith to otley road checkout the Cock Pit Farm cafe on that road it is on the LHS as you are facing otley all it is usually full of cyclists.
2 cafe stops? :hungry:

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Colin of you are going on the askwith to otley road checkout the Cock Pit Farm cafe on that road it is on the LHS as you are facing otley it is usually full of cyclists.
Thanks for that, Phil. I like the look of that cafe - their website. It might cost a bit more than the one in Otley itself, but it might not be quite as busy. It also deals with the problem of having to ride up the tough climb to The Chevin almost immediately after the cafe stop. I've made an executive decision to go to Cock Pit Farm cafe instead, a few kms before Otley!

2 cafe stops? :hungry:
INSTEAD! :thumbsup:

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Got the nod and i can come out to play :bicycle:
That's good!

So now ...

Rider list:
  • ColinJ
  • bromptonfb
  • Pennine-Paul
  • Alun
  • skudupnorth
Maybes:
  • aJohnson (only if he can get a lift)
  • potsy (I reckon he's backing out now!)
Guest appearances for first part of route:
  • tubbycyclist

***** NB I've just added a route elevation profile to the first post in the thread *****

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Be nice to get out with you again Colin,it's been ages since i've hit the hills of Yorkshire
It does seem a while, and yes - it will be nice to ride with you again! Unfortunately, I am still slow so hopefully we will get good weather and you lot can have a nice chat and enjoy the scenery at the summits while you wait for me to arrive ...

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
It does seem a while, and yes - it will be nice to ride with you again! Unfortunately, I am still slow so hopefully we will get good weather and you lot can have a nice chat and enjoy the scenery at the summits while you wait for me to arrive ...
Don't put yourself down Colin ! It's going to be a good day

tubbycyclist

Looks like a good route and good company (with the exception of potsy :laugh: ), I will see whether I can make a cameo appearance for a bit of a spin. Doubt I could get out for the whole day.

potsy

Rambler
Looks like a good route and good company (with the exception of potsy :laugh: ), I will see whether I can make a cameo appearance for a bit of a spin. Doubt I could get out for the whole day.
:ninja:
Oi, I don't come here to be insulted you know. I have the tea thread for that :tongue:

Still a possible only Colin, my climbing legs are having some time off.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

I've created a category just for you tc! :thumbsup:
Still a possible only Colin, my climbing legs are having some time off.
Don't leave me at the back all by myself!

Oh, hang on - I'll have Alun for company, unless he has been doing some serious training recently ... :whistle:

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

I hope this spell of foul weather comes to an end before the 15th. If it doesn't then I'll postpone the ride. I don't mind a bit of drizzle or a few short showers but long spells of torrential rain and thunderstorms are not only no fun to ride in, they are potentially dangerous too when you consider that we would be very high up in places and good targets for any lightning bolts zapping down!

I very nearly got caught out by a thunderstorm on Cock Hill once but had seen the storm blowing in and had taken shelter in Oxenhope. From there I watched bolt after bolt of lightning hitting the top of the hill next to the road. Scary stuff ... I got talking to an old local man while I was waiting for the storm to pass on and he told me that one of his neighbours had once been hit by lightning while trying to take her washing in. The blast knocked her over her garden wall! (She survived it but had nasty burns.)

Let's keep an eye on conditions at the end of next week.

Top Bottom