England : West Yorkshire Forum ride - Hebden Bridge to Otley, 15th July

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Now who's back pedaling :giggle:

TF :tongue:
I got caught out on my MTB in strong winds and heavy rain on Saturday and it wasn't nice! Some of our group were almost hypothermic when we got back to Hebden Bridge. That was bad enough but if you chucked glacial steep road descents and lightning into the mix as well ... :eek:

This crappy weather might have gone by the 15th, but none of the forecasters seem to be promising good news any time soon.

Let's be positive - it will be a lovely sunny day out! :sun:

potsy

Rambler
I seem to have picked up the knack of setting off on the commute just before the heavens open :rain:
Twice in 2 days it's happened, lovely one minute, bucketing down the next.
Maybe it's preparation for the weather jinxes visit at the weekend :tongue:

ps- dr_pink, can you give TF a slap from me? Ta. :boxing:

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Well, as you have probably noticed on the news - we have had some pretty extreme weather here recently!

Aftermath of flashfloods in Hebden Bridge

flashflood1.jpg

flashflood4.jpg

I don't want to get caught out in conditions like that so I'm keeping an eye on the forecast for Sunday but it can't be relied on until much nearer the weekend ***.

If by Friday evening the forecast for Sunday is dire, I will postpone the ride for a week and see how the following Sunday is. If the forecast is for something like showers and sunny spells, I'm happy to set off on the ride with the option of shortening it if conditions deteriorate.

Assuming that we are lucky and get good weather - does anybody else fancy joining us?

*** Actually, the storm that caused the flash flood wasn't forecast at all so every forecast has to be considered as just the 'best guess'! :thumbsup:

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Just looked at the route profile and wow thats a ton of hills......the word 'scenic' gave it away again Colin....

So enjoy and have a good time.
Not got your new low climbing gears yet then k-S? :whistle:
Hopefully the weather will hold up ok.
It has been nice and sunny here today, just to remind us that is actually still summer! I went for a walk on the tops and it was great to be under blue skies again. There was a pretty strong, cool wind blowing though. I was getting a bit of earache walking into it.

Latest forecast for Sunday - a mix of sunny intervals and showers with a fairly strong westerly wind.

Invite still open to anybody who does do 'slow and hilly'! :thumbsup:

Rider list:
  • ColinJ
  • bromptonfb
  • Pennine-Paul
  • Alun
  • skudupnorth
Maybes:
  • potsy??? (I reckon he's backing out now!)
Guest appearances for first part of route:
  • tubbycyclist

Alun

Guru
Yes, I'm still up for this ride!
I reckon if you put 2 cafe stops in though, it would tip the scales enough for Potsy to join us!

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

The forecast is improving as we get closer to Sunday! :thumbsup:

Yes, I'm still up for this ride!
I reckon if you put 2 cafe stops in though, it would tip the scales enough for Potsy to join us!
Some of you could always arrive early and get yourselves a brekkie at one of the HB cafes which wasn't affected by the flooding!

The cafe stop planned is at the halfway point so another one wouldn't really fit in.

No I still have my compact shimano, so no good for tackling this sort of ride. I stick to 'sensible' hills.....
By the end of it, I will be probably be wishing that I had been 'sensible' too! :whistle:

Alun

Guru
The forecast is improving as we get closer to Sunday! :thumbsup:

Some of you could always arrive early and get yourselves a brekkie at one of the HB cafes which wasn't affected by the flooding!

The cafe stop planned is at the halfway point so another one wouldn't really fit in.

By the end of it, I will be probably be wishing that I had been 'sensible' too! :whistle:
Is it any hillier than your other hillfests?

Top Bottom