England : West Yorkshire Forum WALK - Haworth Old Road, Hardcastle Crags from Hebden Bridge, Sat 4th May

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
It has been pretty dry recently so trainers should be okay. There are a couple of places where conditions can be gloopy after heavy rain but none is forecast. (But if there is some mud, don't blame me! :thumbsup:)

How is the bad knee?

PS Ha - I just checked the forecast and some rain IS now forecast for tomorrow, but the ground is pretty dry so I wouldn't have expected it to get that muddy overnight to Saturday!

Might stick the boots in a back pack then.

Knee is kebabed but sod it, Walking, swimming etc are all fine but get on a bike and there is pain a soon as I start, just before the apex of the pedal stroke and down the other side. Can't make my mind up what it is. Going to give a physio a go, hope it is just a bit of inflamation.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Colin, I'm not going to make this now, had a better another offer of a 50 mile bike ride instead.
Considering I'm so far behind certain people in the MCL stakes and I'm even getting picked on by skolly I need the miles :thumbsup:

Have a good one, look forward to seeing some pics.
But ... you are up on your projected mileage of 100/week! :cry:

Oh well, looks like we will just have to manage without you - have fun! :hello:

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Might stick the boots in a back pack then.

Knee is kebabed but sod it, Walking, swimming etc are all fine but get on a bike and there is pain a soon as I start, just before the apex of the pedal stroke and down the other side. Can't make my mind up what it is. Going to give a physio a go, hope it is just a bit of inflamation.
Better to walk in decent boots and not need them, than to find a really muddy patch and get your nice trainers full of mud and cow pats! (The main gloopy bit I am thinking of is next to an old barn which a local farmer sometimes keeps his cattle in, so if it is mucky there, it will be very mucky and there isn't an obvious way round it without scrambling over walls and wandering through fields!)

The knee sounds dodgy! My right knee is getting a bit worn now. It aches for about 5-10 minutes while I am warming up on the bike though it seems okay after that. I also struggle a bit walking down very steep slopes.

PS I just had an idea about your knee pain on the bike - check that your seatpost hasn't slipped down. Mine did that once and I didn't notice for a while and ended up with a sore knee!

PS I just had an idea about your knee pain on the bike - check that your seatpost hasn't slipped down. Mine did that once and I didn't notice for a while and ended up with a sore knee!

Thats what I thought it was after riding back from yours last time, but after raising it, it was no better on the Red Rose at the weekend, nor on the turbo, or on the road bike, either it is completely buggered, or it is inflimation from over use during a chilly 260 in March.

Did visit quacks a couple of weeks back and though it clicks and grates he just said rest and said if he sent me to physio they would just stick me on a bike!!!

ATM my best bet I think is my sons sports physio and just keep going, if it doesn't improve then I'll have to demand a scan :sad: scared what they might say though tbh with LEL looming.

Cubist

Still wavin'
Any changes to the plans last -minute @ColinJ ? I subscribed to the OS Getamap site recently, so I'll see if I can't do some A4 printouts. I'll try and work it out from your description.... briliant that it is.

I take it you've been round Gibson Mill? Last timje I was there I was treated to a long and involved conversation about the sewage wormery. :stop:

Sorry folks I am going to have to desert the merry band, the bairns physio as just rung with a cancellation for tomorrow and seen as nhs can't fit me in with a consultant for another 3 weeks I couldn't turn this one down.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Any changes to the plans last -minute @ColinJ ? I subscribed to the OS Getamap site recently, so I'll see if I can't do some A4 printouts. I'll try and work it out from your description.... briliant that it is.

I take it you've been round Gibson Mill? Last timje I was there I was treated to a long and involved conversation about the sewage wormery. :stop:
Nope - meet in the car park 09:45ish, and stroll round to the bus stop at about 10:00 to catch the 10:12.

The forecast is now saying sunshine and showers in the morning, and sunny later, with a gusty wind blowing. I'll have to think what to wear for those conditions ... :whistle:

As for the composting toilets ... I've never used them, but I do know about them!

OFF texted me to say that he has a physio appointment for his bad knee in the morning (as he has just reported above!) so it will be just you (plus dog?), me and bicyclos, unless anybody else turns up announced - LAST CALL EVERYONE! :thumbsup:

Cubist

Still wavin'
Nope - meet in the car park 09:45ish, and stroll round to the bus stop at about 10:00 to catch the 10:12.

The forecast is now saying sunshine and showers in the morning, and sunny later, with a gusty wind blowing. I'll have to think what to wear for those conditions ... :whistle:

As for the composting toilets ... I've never used them, but I do know about them!

OFF texted me to say that he has a physio appointment for his bad knee in the morning (as he has just reported above!) so it will be just you (plus dog?), me and bicyclos, unless anybody else turns up announced - LAST CALL EVERYONE! :thumbsup:
Where does the bus drop us off?

As for the weather, I'm thinking Ronhills plus overtrousers in the pack.

bicyclos

Part time Anorak
I'm still in for tomorrow, just charging the batteries for the camera and getting my kit together......Did you mention wintery weather? ski boots,thermal's and full waterproofs needed:eek:

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Where does the bus drop us off?

As for the weather, I'm thinking Ronhills plus overtrousers in the pack.
SE 017 337 - on the way down from the summit of Cock Hill, just after the car park on the left, a few hundred metres before the pub on the right.

What looks like a stream either side of the road is actually a concrete water conduit with a grassy access path alongside it. Here's a picture of it on the other side of the road, heading in the opposite direction, towards Oxenhope Moor ...

conduit-oxenhope-moor.jpg

I'm still in for tomorrow, just charging the batteries for the camera and getting my kit together......Did you mention wintery weather? ski boots,thermal's and full waterproofs needed:eek:
The Met Office reckon a 'feels like' temperature of 8 degrees while we will be out. I think I might chance it with a long-sleeved jersey and a gilet, with arm warmers in case I start to feel cold. I'll decide at 09:30 when I look out of the door to see what the weather is doing!

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

It looks like the forecast was about right. I think I'll take a chance on us avoiding heavy rain and wear lighter kit.

Gosh. I'm all homesick again.

Hope you have a good walk.
Cheers - we will!

Lots of photos, please :thumbsup:
I'll take some pictures with my phone camera, and I know that bicyclos is bringing his digital camera so he should get a few decent ones.

Oops - my 'get off the computer and get ready alarm' has just sounded! Catch you later ... :hello:

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Aaaaargh - I just typed a long post about the walk and then my bloody browser crashed so I lost it! I am just about to watch the cycling on Eurosport so I don't have time to type it all out again. :cursing:

I'll just say thanks for some fine company to Cubist and bicyclos - they took loads of photos so I didn't bother. I'm sure that they will eventually post a selection of them at some point.

Bicyclos had a GPS logging the walk and he said we did 10.8 miles. With the walk to and from the car park, that would be 11 miles for me.

I felt pretty good all day (apart from a dodgy tum which I won't dwell on :ohmy:) though my legs feel a bit stiff now.

I will organise more forum walks from time to time, but my thoughts are now turning towards a forum ride. I might suggest one out Garforth/Selby way where the flatter roads will suit my unfit legs. Give me a month or so to get some miles in first though!

Top Bottom