England : West Yorkshire Forum WALK - Haworth Old Road, Hardcastle Crags from Hebden Bridge, Sat 4th May

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
My first forum walk went well, so I have decided to organise another one as part of my gradual build-up to fitness. This walk has to be on a Saturday because we will start off by catching a bus from Hebden Bridge and the service is poor on Sundays. I have chosen Saturday 4th May.

The bus leaves Hebden Bridge at 10:12 so let's meet at Market Place car park, Hebden Bridge at 09:45. If you are parking there, I suggest that you pay for 5 or 6 hours to include the cafe stop afterwards. The car park is inexpensive but the parking fines are not, and wardens are always on the prowl!

Map showing HB car parks.

The centre of Hebden Bridge is now pedestrianised and there is a one-way system. To get to the car park turn right up Commercial Street as you come into HB from the Halifax direction, second left after about 100 yards by the White Lion. Follow that road round over the river. The car park is then on your right.

If you are coming from the Todmorden direction, turn left down Old Gate (one way street) at the end of Market Street, just after the pub/bar/restaurant on your left. Follow the road round past the Hole in t'Wall and the new council building. The car park is straight ahead on the right.

We will stroll round to the bus stop at 09:55. NB The buses are only once an hour so if you are late you risk making us all hang about for an hour waiting for the next one!

The bus does a lot of climbing for us and lets us start from further away to cover countryisde that some of you will not be familiar with.

Here's a brief description of the route with some photographs that I took last time I walked it ...

We get off on the descent from Cock Hill and walk beside a water conduit to a bridleway going back over the hillside towards Hebden Bridge.

leeshaw-reservoir-penistone-hill-from-conduit-wide.jpg

From the summit, we'll have great views of Stoodley Pike in the distance.

heptonstall-stoodley-pike-from-stairs-lane-wide.jpg

We descend the bridleway to the Haworth Old Road.

shackleton-knoll-from-haworth-old-road.jpg

A bridleway snakes its way up the hillside on the RHS of that photo, as far as the building in the distance, at the foot of Shackleton Knoll.

paddock-beck.jpg

We walk up that bridleway ...

shackleton-moor-from-calder-aire-link-bridleway.jpg

Then turn right to skirt round the brim of Shackleton Knoll, with more fine views, down over Hebden Bridge.

hebden-bridge-from-shackleton-knoll-wide.jpg

We come down to the hamlet of Walshaw. More fine views ...!

stoodley-pike-from-walshaw.jpg

From there we walk down a woodland road to Gibson Mill in Hardcastle Crags.

walshaw-to-gibson-mill-hardcastle-crags.jpg

We could go to the cafe there, or if it is a nice day and our legs are up to it, we could take an interesting path up to the cafe in Heptonstall. We can make our minds up on the day.

If we don't go to Heptonstall, there are several easier routes back to Hebden Bridge.

Depending on the exact route, we will cover 8-10 miles. I guess that we'd be back in Hebden Bridge 14:30 - 15:30.

I hope that some of you like the sound of that. If so, please register your interest below - all welcome, including well-behaved pet dogs! :hello:

Colin,

That looks a terrific walk. Mrs Littgull and myself were up walking from Hebden Bridge to Hardcastle Crags yesterday afternoon. It was a pleasant Spring day despite the strong south westerly gusts of wind which were at least warm rather than the month-long bitter easterlies. Unfortunately we will be away visiting my son in Herts the weekend of 4th May - as we were for your Stoodley Pike walk.

Terrific that you are now making such good progress from your illness.

Enjoy the ramble and I'm looking forward to seeing you again on one of your forum rides later in the year.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Colin,

That looks a terrific walk. Mrs Littgull and myself were up walking from Hebden Bridge to Hardcastle Crags yesterday afternoon. It was a pleasant Spring day despite the strong south westerly gusts of wind which were at least warm rather than the month-long bitter easterlies. Unfortunately we will be away visiting my son in Herts the weekend of 4th May - as we were for your Stoodley Pike walk.

Terrific that you are now making such good progress from your illness.

Enjoy the ramble and I'm looking forward to seeing you again on one of your forum rides later in the year.
Thanks! Pity you can't make this walk, but I will do my best to get fit enough for a forum ride later in the year.

Alun

Guru
Looks good Colin ! I won't be able to make it unfortunately as I'll be on my way home from Majorca, hopefully fitter than when I went.

Glad to see you are making progress!

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Looks good Colin ! I won't be able to make it unfortunately as I'll be on my way home from Majorca, hopefully fitter than when I went.

Glad to see you are making progress!
Blimey - how long are you out there for in total?

That sounds like a very long, fun holiday!

When I used to go on my 2 week cycling holidays on the Costa Blanca in March, I always encountered the same group of pensioners who spent the first 3 or 4 months of every year out there.

Alun

Guru
Blimey - how long are you out there for in total?

That sounds like a very long, fun holiday!

When I used to go on my 2 week cycling holidays on the Costa Blanca in March, I always encountered the same group of pensioners who spent the first 3 or 4 months of every year out there.
Only 7 days cycling in Majorca, last week was my drinking holiday in Benidorm!

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Only 7 days cycling in Majorca, last week was my drinking holiday in Benidorm!
Ah yes! (I knew that there was a Spanish theme ...)

I've been thinking about those pensioners (who also stayed in Benidorm). They said that you can block book hotel rooms really cheap in the off season. If you work out how much you save in heating and cheaper food prices, it can work out almost free to go out for 3 months. Tempting ...

Alun

Guru
Ah yes! (I knew that there was a Spanish theme ...)

I've been thinking about those pensioners (who also stayed in Benidorm). They said that you can block book hotel rooms really cheap in the off season. If you work out how much you save in heating and cheaper food prices, it can work out almost free to go out for 3 months. Tempting ...
I've heard that as well, looks like a good deal, as long as you can take your bike!

Think i might be off that weekend so will keep it in mind and let you know closer to the day. If it would be ok to leave the bike again that would be great. A lot will depend on how my knee is.

tubbycyclist

The walk sounds like a good craic, although unfortunately I can't make it because of LEL prep.
A good route and hope the weather is kind. You ought to add a diversion down to Lumb Falls if the weather is nice and see if you can find anyone foolhardy enough to swim :whistle:

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

The walk sounds like a good craic, although unfortunately I can't make it because of LEL prep.
A good route and hope the weather is kind. You ought to add a diversion down to Lumb Falls if the weather is nice and see if you can find anyone foolhardy enough to swim :whistle:
Or jump from the ledge down into the water ... My stepdaughter tried it when she was a teenager and didn't jump out far enough, landing on one of the rocks below! (She was lucky to get away with just cuts and bruises.)

bicyclos

Part time Anorak
Hi Colin,
I would like to come along on walk #2 if its OK to add to my CC walking portfolio and to explore a different neck of the woods..looks an interesting walk by the look of the photo's.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Hi Colin,
I would like to come along on walk #2 if its OK to add to my CC walking portfolio and to explore a different neck of the woods..looks an interesting walk by the look of the photo's.
Yes, of course. It would be nice to see you again.

It would be good to get the numbers up to 5 or 6 again, so does anybody else fancy joining us? :hello:

Top Bottom