FNRttC Friday Night Ride to the Coast - Southend on Sea 7th November

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

frank9755

Cyclist
A good thought, Grace, but I fear that beer could prove irresistible! But will be good to see you at breakfast.

Mmm is right about Borough Mkt. I know it's not everyone's favourite pub but that all bar one on Shad Thames is hard to beat for parking and capacity.

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
Such excuses Frank...

All Bar One - huge number of cyclists x however many existing punters = never shall a drop of alcohol pass thee lips. Take note.

Zee

Veteran
The George is a no-no. They don't want us - although, going by the five minutes or so I spent waiting at the bar we shouldn't feel uniquely unloved.

St. Christopher's just down the way has a space out the back for parking bikes. Should I ask there?

The Old Thameside Inn perhaps? Slightly off the public thoroughfare, outside seating and with more railings than you can shake a stick at.
Opens 10am Saturday and serves food all day.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Saturday near London bridge, Borough market, etc - v busy. Not surprising they don't want you.

The City on the other hand will be deserted on a Saturday, so if you can find somewhere open there you'll be welcomed I'd have thought.

Not much help though am I?
I might have mentioned somewhere upthread (a) that the City will be busy because of the Lord Mayor's show, and (b) that the Crosse Keys on Gracechurch Street is a big Spoons pub open from 9am.

If I have a quiet moment in my insane diary tomorrow I'll pop in.

rb58

Enigma
Trust me Martin, I would LOVE to do the ride through the night but it's too much of a risk. I'm hoping to be there in the morning, perhaps more of you would consider the SMrbtL?
Normally I pop into my Mum's in Hadleigh before heading home. But his time I'll be on the regulation SMrbtL. Maybe the South London peloton should head to Woolwich ferry this time instead of Dartford Crossing?

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
@rb58 on fixed?
I'm waiting for short reach levers in the post and need to fit those to the bike. Either way, if I'm off colour still I might be @arallsopp guest stoker instead, if he brings the super recumbent-mobile. Tickets booked so I'll be there.

rb58

Enigma
Good idea..
I have a route I'll send you.

Will you guys be heading straight home or back to the pub?
Straight home. :smile:
As Loaf (anagram - 4 letters) has put in an appearance on this grand finale thread for 2014, I can only reminisce on the Manchester to Blackpool ride of 2011.
Such was the 'esprit de corps' among Blackpoolians that their tower escaped, during the hostilities of 1939-45, that they gave thanks via their shops:
2roluv4.jpg

That was a sortie. A select band returning to London encountered a variety of dogs, some roaming, some sitting and there was even some conversation. Under the guidance of Mistral and Adrian, we discovered the 'natural' world before us...we were All Shook Up, for sure.
214a3ap.jpg

We saw other sights apart from the local fauna and flora(was that her name, Adrian?)
slqvrp.jpg

There was even a Roy Rogers Breakfast tribute band to welcome Simon Bolivar to the breakfasterie.
312bk0m.jpg

But, to be frank, we were not impressed; wading through dogshit to get a pint was just a step too far...even if Frank was offered a buff of a very different complexion by the lady with the infant in the pram + the ASBO.
2qdx6v4.jpg

Thankfully, Adrian didn't take the piss too much on this ride - although I'm sure there''s a photo of him having one on the platform...^_^

Top Bottom