Giving blood

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Different focus in different countries. Australia seems more widely interest in different uses, so even if you don't produce sufficient platelets, they have still many other uses for the plasma.
Edit: Wrong again. In fact plasma donation and platelet donation are 2 separate things. I'll stop being "helpful". Though I am now guessing platelet separation takes longer, as I am pretty sure it took nothing like 3 hours for me, and I am a very slow whole blood donor.

But I think I may have found why they are particularly interested in your negative blood.

http://www.donateblood.com.au/about-blood/anti-D

Other thing I learnt from google: US as well as Australia only take donations once a month (though I remember it was safe to give more often). Maybe that's because the commitment turns away so many donors, that they end up with less by taking it every fortnight, as seems to be indicated by comments in this thread.

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
:smile:
Yes platelets are teeny tiny bits, plasma the liquidy yellowy bit that contains the platelets, growth factors and what not. The stuff that was meant to heal my elbow. I can't recall if that was before or after I tried to separate my tendon from its moorings on the way to Brighton :ohmy:

I think they take the plasma from whole blood I guess using a centrifuge (my blood was spun, I was lucky not to get dizzy :biggrin:), for the platelets the piccies suggest a much bigger machine and you get the red stuff back (which is why you can donate relatively often compared to whole blood). They don't let you give both, once they get you on the platelet programme, that takes priority

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
:smile:
Yes platelets are teeny tiny bits, plasma the liquidy yellowy bit that contains the platelets, growth factors and what not. The stuff that was meant to heal my elbow. I can't recall if that was before or after I tried to separate my tendon from its moorings on the way to Brighton :ohmy:

I think they take the plasma from whole blood I guess using a centrifuge (my blood was spun, I was lucky not to get dizzy :biggrin:), for the platelets the piccies suggest a much bigger machine and you get the red stuff back (which is why you can donate relatively often compared to whole blood). They don't let you give both, once they get you on the platelet programme, that takes priority

This is correct, one can not donate blood and platelets. The machine does spin the blood, the platlets go into a bag and you get the red stuff back.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
image.jpg
Another trip to JR today to donate playlets. Just thought I'd share.

I used to donate blood regularly before I got married but then stopped once the kiddies came along. I had thought recently about doing it again but I had a blood transfusion after the birth of my first child so it seems like I won't be able to. Why is that? Couldn't they screen the bblood to see if it's got any nasties in it before deciding they don't want it at all?

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
I've given the blood sample for the platelet testing, 5 tubes of the stuff! I did have 3 custard creams though while waiting

Find out in 2 weeks if I'm eligible. They'll have to use my left arm, apparently the vein on the right isnt suitable to receive the red stuff back once they've spun off the platelets

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
Well I've heard back from the Leechery, they don't want my platelets as I have HLA antibodies (15% of females do, not entirely sure how I have them never having been pregnant, had a transfusion or transplant). So just the usual 4 monthly blood donations for me :smile:

colly

Re member eR
Platelet donation takes a bit longer than giving blood, about 90 mins, maybe 2 hours, and they are keen for you to go every 3 or 4 weeks or so.

It seems if you have had a particularly fatty meal in the hours before hand it can make the platelets all thick and gooey, even unusable in bad cases.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Well I've heard back from the Leechery, they don't want my platelets as I have HLA antibodies (15% of females do, not entirely sure how I have them never having been pregnant, had a transfusion or transplant). So just the usual 4 monthly blood donations for me :smile:

That's a pity. I'm currently on a break from donating platelets, last time I went I got sent home because my iron count was on point below their standard.

They said if I go for check up at my GP and have a blood test, providing the results are ok I can get reinstated. I just had the test today, so now I have to wait for results now.

It's a pity they don't want your platelets, but giving blood is needed more than ever, so it might be a blessing for someone, seeing as you can't donate blood if you donate platelets, for most people a blood donation centre is easier to get to than the platelet centre.

Different focus in different countries. Australia seems more widely interest in different uses, so even if you don't produce sufficient platelets, they have still many other uses for the plasma.
Edit: Wrong again. In fact plasma donation and platelet donation are 2 separate things. I'll stop being "helpful". Though I am now guessing platelet separation takes longer, as I am pretty sure it took nothing like 3 hours for me, and I am a very slow whole blood donor.
@vickster solved this riddle for me. They import plasma in the UK, as you guys all** have vCJD.

** ok, maybe not all of you :smile:

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
I'm off for my 4 monthly leeching tonight...free custard creams** and lemon squash for me later :biggrin:

** possibly penguins, bourbons and crisps too :hungry:

I do this for the good of society not the free scoff...honest :whistle:

Smurfy

Naturist Smurf
I haven't given blood for years, I got up to 10 donations before giving up. Even after the new system to make appointments rather than just waiting in line, the waiting time was still far too long. Surely if having donations is so essential they ought to invest more in staff and resources.

Top Bottom