Giving blood

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

yello

[QUOTE 3739821, member: 259"]This is also the case in France![/QUOTE]

Indeed it is. Or so I was told. I'm "britanique" so was refused.

That said, it's difficult to know for sure what the rules really are in France... for anything. There are so many local variations and power crazed individuals (making the rules up as they go) that there tends to be the law in theory and the law in practice, the latter being variable in itself.

Or maybe they just didn't like me. That's within the bounds of comprehension too. :sad:

U

User33236

No transfusion record at hospital so I shall be off to the leech service later :smile:

Though they won't want my platelets as I took ibuprofen last night
It's possible they gave you your own blood back (or the cells at least).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intraoperative_blood_salvage

The technique is often used in planned surgery at is reduces the burden on the transfusion service and the risks associated with receiving third party blood.

BigAl68

Über Member
I agree with all of the observations on the ridiculous rules that were put in place post BSE. There is no actual link between blood transfusion and vCJD in humans and I hope the rules do change but working within the NHS machine I would doubt it happening anytime soon.

Tin Pot

Guru
Won't take mine either, usually because of trips to South America and otherwise because I occasionally black out when the needle goes in.

byegad

Legendary Member
I tried to give blood some 40 years ago, in total I went 4 times and each time I was refused for infections I'd had in the last 6 months, or med's I'd taken in the days before the session. I was quite keen to donate as my sister has a rare Type, and was on a list to be called in for emergencies for many a year, but they always refused me.

To all who can give, good on my, although with my current med's there's no hope they'd take me.

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
Duly leeched and booked in again for 1st October!

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
The National Leechery Service has now asked me if I'd donate platelets instead by dint of my weird A neg group being in demand, so I've agreed to go for the eligibility assessment. I certainly won't fail on the height-weight criteria!

Apparently you can give them every 2 weeks as they give the red bits back and the platelets replenish quite quickly. Bit of a commitment as it takes 2 hours and for me, the closest centre is a good 30 minutes away! You do get lots of biscuits during the process though it seems :biggrin:

Any others give platelets?

classic33

Leg End Member
Due to life long medication, for epilepsy, I'm not allowed to be a donor. Alive or dead.
Annoying thing when I tried to give blood many years ago, they could take it from an alcoholic/known drug user but my medication was on the banned list.

Always worse when a unit came to a workplace. Trying to explain why you were'nt donating, like they were.

Ern1e

Über Member
Simular thing happend to me @classic33 onlt thing different is that after I had donated it they got in touch telling me to go to doctors because when they screened it they found excess traces of uric acid in the stuff so they could not use it ! then told me that in future please don't go again. Best bit went to doc's they tested me for gout lol test came back negative lmao.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I had an operation three years ago during which a fair bit of donors' blood must have been put into me to make up for general leaks in the plumbing. I would dearly love to return the favour but I'm not allowed to because the drugs I'm going to be taking for the rest of my days are on a banned list. It really p#sses me off. They've been donated a load of my organs but I suspect they are going to be well passed their "sell by" date. If I'm lucky.

classic33

Leg End Member
Seems like the rules have changed again, now its just that last one stopping me.
http://www.blood.co.uk/giving-blood/who-cant-give-blood/
You should NOT give blood if...
  • You're a male donor with less than 12 weeks' interval between donations
  • You're a female donor who had given blood in the last 12 weeks (normally, you must wait 16 weeks).
  • You have a chesty cough, sore throat or active cold sore.
  • You're currently taking antibiotics or you have just finished a course within the last seven days or have had any infection in that last two weeks.
  • You've had hepatitis or jaundice in the last 12 months.
  • You've had a tattoo, semi-permanent make up or any cosmetic treatment that involves skin piercing in the last 4 months.
  • You have had acupuncture in the last 4 months, unless this was done within the NHS or by a qualified Healthcare Professional registered with a statutory body.
  • A member of your family (parent, brother, sister or child) has suffered with CJD (Creutzfeld-Jakob Disease).
  • You've ever received human pituitary extract (which was used in some growth hormone or fertility treatments before 1985).
  • You have received blood or think you may have received blood during the course of any medical treatment or procedure anywhere in the world since 1st January 1980.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
It's a bum covering list. I'm sure that the last clause is just a trip wire for further filtering of potential donors.

Otherwise they are going to have to use tomato juice.

Top Bottom