Go on, admit, who is both a 4x4 owner and a cyclist ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
I'm trying to persuade the Missus that I need a 4x4 quad in my life.

How about an environmentally friendly 4x4? Electric motor driving every wheel, none of this diff locks and transfer box nonsense, and by not needing any axles at all an impressive amount of axle articulation - claimed 70 degree slopes and 50 degree slope traversing.
The Swincar

Having seen it on a Boys Toys program it struck me its wasted as a 'toy' as it reminded me of an episode of Top Gear where they did an off-road race against 3 wounded servicemen. I can't help but think the swincar couldn't have a better use with the disabled troops.

Think the designer was using bicycle wheels too! At least on the prototypes.

Last edited:
As are the little Suzuki 4x4s, don't know if ever went to the 4x4 meets at Glasshoughton, I was out running one day and stopped to watch, a few were trying to get up this steep hill with a sharp crest at the top the only one I saw get over was the Suzuki after a few attemps.
I did indeed, up in the sand quarry off Holywell Lane
Work out a few seals, & brake pads in that morass!

Plus you get to play with all sorts of accessories, like snorkels, lift kits etc (still waiting for my lift kit to arrive from Russia).
It already looks quite high enough to me

Oh, and ps. Also stating the ability of 4 x 4's off road ability based on what you've heard, or read is pretty silly too. I've been on a proper off road course and seen what Land Rovers (RRS, RR Vogue, and Defender), can do, and I guarantee no saloon, or Yet, or Panda would do the same. It's not just down to whether you have 2 or 4 driven wheels, it's the electronics, the amount of clearance, the wheel travel, and a hundred other things which you haven't thought about, as well as wheel and tyre choice, or course, which as cyclists we should all know will make or break the traction efficiency of any wheeled vehicle!
I know all about that, having driven practically every LR product, barring the present models

You can certainly get a Series model as far as a modern Range Rover, or Defender, possibly further? (given a good tyre choice)
It was often stated (approximate words) that the driver would break before a Series Land Rover - due to the leaf-springs

The (original) Range Rover was the best compromise vehicle for me. but, it was also very, very capable

Darien Gap, anyone???
http://www.range-rover-classic.com/Home/range-rover-darien-gap

tyred

Legendary Member
I've always fancied one of these.
4674335.jpg

Must stock up on Waxoyl, Jenolite and body fillers first!

Profpointy

Legendary Member
The best 2WD car I have owned for driving in the snow.

how about the 2cv sahara - 4wd that was, and double the horsepower too.

Had an extra engine in the boot to drive the back wheels.

I've never seen one but could be tempted if there are any left

Drago

Legendary Member
And I'd sell my left nut for a HUMVEE, the proper military one, not the reduced fat low carb civilian Hummer. Proper ex military jobs go for reasonable price in the states and I'd often been tempted...

Top Bottom