Go on, admit, who is both a 4x4 owner and a cyclist ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Labradorofperception

I have a Series III Lightweight. Driving from the days of the Empire. It runs on muddy 4 star and X3's.

The midget has a Kuga. It's a jacked up Focus with a sort of 4 wheel drive affair.

I take the view that if it does not have diff lock, then it's not a 4x4.

The main car is an XF -S - it did manage to get from Holmfirth to Kirkburton in the snow the other week, but it was a case of praying to whichever god was on duty and being glad for having fatties in the back.....

I've always fancied one of these.
4674335.jpg

Must stock up on Waxoyl, Jenolite and body fillers first!
Our first new car (girlfriend of time, & subsequently my wife since 1998) was a Panda - but just the standard FWD
It was an 'E plate' taken out of the showroom, because she wanted a black one

ooh, nice though.

Perhaps a 6x6 like the Scammell Explorer or the Alvis is the sensible buy after all

Maybe I'll compromise and have all 3 when my ship comes in
£5,000 !!!!
http://www.milweb.net/webvert/a1674

With the topic turning in a khaki green direction..

If anyone ever gets the chance to visit this dealer, grab it with both hands!!!!
http://www.ljacksonandco.com/index.php/aerial-photos

They're located roughly 2 miles due west (more by road) from RAF Finningley (aka 'Robin Hood Airport'), & to add an extra dimension, Jacksons yard was the base for the Bloodhound surface-air missiles that helped to protect the V-bombers at Finningley!
In fact, if you open the first of the aerial photographs, you'll see a Bloodhound, on its launch platform next to the offices, & notice the dispersal points for the missiles still provide the hardstandings for vehicular stock

Interesting thread. I have been looking for a cheap van for a while now, Kangoo, berlingo for dog and bikes to put in back etc. Replace my 176,000 mile Volvo v40 estate. Never thought of a cheap little 4x4 like a Suzuki

subaqua

What’s the point
Interesting thread. I have been looking for a cheap van for a while now, Kangoo, berlingo for dog and bikes to put in back etc. Replace my 176,000 mile Volvo v40 estate. Never thought of a cheap little 4x4 like a Suzuki

they are OK unless you need to go any distance in them. then they are back breakers.

RichardB

Slightly retro
The best 2WD car I have owned for driving in the snow.

My experience too. I had a 2CV6 Club (square headlights and luxury fittings) and it took me though several East Yorkshire winters. Sometimes I was the only one to make it to work. Never failed to get me there, or home. Unless I can control myself, I am close to getting another one. My wife will not approve.

The (original) Range Rover was the best compromise vehicle for me. but, it was also very, very capable

I once was clerk of the course for a 4x4 club and laid out a trial for everything from RTVs to Class 5 modifieds. To see if it could be done, I ran round it in my Range Rover 4.6 and it did it without a murmur. Extremely capable, and just as good as the Classic RR in my opinion. Also in my opinion, the P38A was the last proper Land Rover - everything since (Defenders excepted) have been style-led technological aberrations with all the charm of a dead frog.

My experience too. I had a 2CV6 Club (square headlights and luxury fittings) and it took me though several East Yorkshire winters. Sometimes I was the only one to make it to work. Never failed to get me there, or home. Unless I can control myself, I am close to getting another one.
A few years ago, a chosen few (press-ganged, more like!!) were on 'winter gritting rota' at work*
So, 2 of us, for a week at a time, were on call (1st Nov - March 31st) for ice/snow duties
This was after I'd sold my last Landie (typical!!)
However, I had the use of my mothers one week; a bog-stock, 1.0 ('R' plated, so a mark 1?), on skinny tyres
Like a 2CV, it had sod all power, but with steady driving, it could get most places, & impressed me

* I didn't mind, as to keep it all correct, the Trust paid for a weeks training, to get us the correct DVLA group for a tractor, & an industry recognised accreditation for JCB
A week of 5 hour days! playing with 'big boys Tonka toys'.
And paid (9 hour days) to do it:wahhey::wahhey::wahhey:

I once was clerk of the course for a 4x4 club and laid out a trial for everything from RTVs to Class 5 modifieds. To see if it could be done, I ran round it in my Range Rover 4.6 and it did it without a murmur. Extremely capable, and just as good as the Classic RR in my opinion. Also in my opinion, the P38A was the last proper Land Rover - everything since (Defenders excepted) have been style-led technological aberrations with all the charm of a dead frog.

I wasn't too sure about the P38, when it came out
My first drive of one, was at a demo-day (I think it was the Doncaster dealer), at a site on the outskirts of Bawtry,
Whilst it wasn't anything particularly difficult, the invitees who'd stepped out of their M-B & B*Ws were impressed

My 2nd drive was not long after, a 101FC owning friend & I went to (as it was then) Appleyards, in Leeds, as he wanted to look at them
By letting a salesman try his 101FC, we got a drive out (swapping between us) in a 2.5DT (manual)
It may have been a good engine in the relevant B*W cars, & a comparative flyer in the Vauxhall Omega (which also used it), but a P38, not that good
No doubt, it'll have been even worse in the automatic 'box versions

Third close encounter was in 1997 at Copley Land Rover (Halifax), when I was buying -at the time- a 3 year old 110(300Tdi)
It wasn't ready when I arrived for it. so was browsing the forecourt, & looked at a 4.6HSE
The salesman I was dealing with came out, with the keys, & asked if I fancied a ride

Now, if anyone reading this knows the Halifax area, & the dual-carriageway (sadly, better known at the moment for being in the background of some TV film of the partially collapsed bridge at Elland), that climbs up to jct 24 of the M62 (Ainley Top), will know that it's a fair old climb.

This was when it was a national speed limit (& pre camera days), once away from the traffic lights, he booted it
For such a big vehicle, the acceleration was very impressive, & I'm not going to tell you what speed we crested the hill at, as it passes under the M62

Whilst I couldn't, & wouldn't have tried to do the same in my 110, when I drove away, it did crest the hill at probably about 65MPH, not bad for what it is

RichardB

Slightly retro
I really liked my P38A - probably the 'best' car I have owned. I didn't think it was fast, though. The arithmetic was nice - 225 bhp and a weight of 2.25 tonnes - but the best you could say was that it moved well for a big 'un. But the interior was a lovely place to be, the ride was smooth and quiet, I couldn't find a way of getting it stuck off-road, and it towed like a dream. But 16 mpg (14 towing) and the thought of all those little computers waiting to go pop made me sell it eventually. I am doing about a third of the mileage I used to do back then, and I would consider having another, but I would choose carefully. They have the potential for being a serious money-pit.

Money Pit?
True enough, if you get a bad one

I don't like the present L405 at all, looks too trans-Atlantic, it could be a Lincoln, or a Buick (which in itself would be a bit ironic, given the origins of the Rover 3.5 V8)

However, a nice L322 TVD8 would be acceptable, & they sound nice too, or an early straight-6 (3.0 litre), as a few were manual transmission

RichardB

Slightly retro
Money Pit?
True enough, if you get a bad one
Much as I love my Land Rovers, I'd have to say even an average one has the potential to clean you out. The infamous porous liner issue in the 4.6 is a case in point. But having said that it is a lovely, lovely vehicle to ride in, whatever the conditions. Just personal taste, but for me the L322 was where it started to go wrong. Following one, it looks like a fat man in a top hat.

Actually, scrub that. The Freebie was where it all changed, when they cut out the transfer box and centre diff and replaced it with electronics. Subsequent to that, anything that followed down that line was a soft-roader, regardless of how many cameras and gimmicks it came with.

This thread is very bad for me. I may need to change my car soon (might need an automatic) and I am now seriously considering another P38A. As the dyslexic said, Get thee behind me Santa.

Top Bottom