Go on, admit, who is both a 4x4 owner and a cyclist ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Hugh Manatee

Veteran
I was a 4x4 owner up to a few months ago, have had a couple.
But the way the weather is going with no hard winters down here any more I can see a few coming on the second hand market.

We got an older Nissan X-Trail for the winters. There has barely been a frost since!

I have grown to really like it. Two wheel drive for most of the time with switchable four wheel drive if required. It even has a diff lock option.

Not in the same league as a defender but still quite capable.

As stated, I'm definitely a Land Rover man, but I'd quite honestly prefer a Yeti, to a FreeLander

The Octavia Scout is also very capable
Given the factors that don't help; tyres, ground-clearance, & 'ramp-angles', both it & the XC70 acquit themselves very well indeed

Someone earlier mentioned the Panda 4x4, yes, they are very capable indeed, when sensibly (or crazily?) driven, & on suitable tyres

Sadly, now Skoda, in common with other manufacturers (even Land Rover, with the 'Ewok'), offer a 2wd version of the Yeti
'All mouth & no trousers', 'Fur coat & no knickers' are 2 phrases that spring to mind

[QUOTE 4123011, member: 43827"]Why sadly? Having a 2wd model available does not affect 4wd Yeti owners at all, unless they are worried that other drivers might not know they are driving a butch 4wd.

I've got a 2wd Yeti and love it. I like boxy shaped cars that I can put the bike in, have back problems that are helped by a high driving position, and never drive off-road, nor do I have any problem with driving in a 2wd in 99% of the snow conditions we have here in the south of the UK. I would not have bought a Yeti, at the extra cost and fuel consumption, if the only models available were 4wd.[/QUOTE]
Have to agree with User43827. My parents have a 2WD Ssangyong Tivoli - they will never need 4WD (thought there is a 4WD version coming at some point). And I suspect most of the Nissan Juke/Quashquai owners probably wouldn't notice any difference either, apart from possibly wallet related ones in running costs/servicing.
The SUVs are a new way of manufacturers getting us to buy cars, selling a lifestyle. I've read a prediction that'll they'll account for around 50% of car sales in 5 years.

Tyre wear tends to be less on a 4wd derivative, than a FWD, as the tractive effort is shared
Cornering, even on just a wet road can be better, less 'understeer' in tighter corners (if taken at higher speeds)

Fuel economy, yes, as there's always an extra loss, with the transfer-box - like anything dependant on driving style/geographical location/useage

(I can get 20%, on average, more per gallon than my wife, out of the Octavia, as I'm not as harsh on brakes or accelerator. I don't hang on to low-gears/'slog' in too high a gear)

I was also thinking of servicing and repair costs, should it all go wrong. 4WD systems do have a lot more components in the drivetrain to wear than 2WD.
Theres always some sort of trade-off with whatever you drive. Unless of course you drive Homers car
homer.jpg

Venod

Eh up
Someone earlier mentioned the Panda 4x4, yes, they are very capable indeed

As are the little Suzuki 4x4s, don't know if ever went to the 4x4 meets at Glasshoughton, I was out running one day and stopped to watch, a few were trying to get up this steep hill with a sharp crest at the top the only one I saw get over was the Suzuki after a few attemps.

Last edited:

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
A colleague got rid of his Defender after getting sick of a never ending round of repairs and bills and bought a Suzuki Jimny, which he really rates.
He says it can do virtually everything that he needed the Landy to do, plus it's never needed a penny spending on it apart from servicing and consumables - and he now has a heater that blows warm air out! :laugh:

Sara_H

Guru
We've got a 4x4. We got ours as in the winter everything grinds to a halt where we live after snow. Can't run a normal car and the public transport stops. As my OH's kids live 60 miles away from us he used to have sweats about not being able to get to them in an emergency during the winter.
We've had it a few years now and it's come in handy a few times.

Drago

Legendary Member
The extra complexity of 4wd drivetrains dont worry me. With the exception of LR's, which are made from recycle toilet roll, most manufacturers proper 4wd powertains and drivetrains are pretty tough, engineered as they are for all sorts of manly driving, and regular fluid changes and greasing is usually sufficient for a long and hassle free life. Plus you get to play with all sorts of accessories, like snorkels, lift kits etc (still waiting for my lift kit to arrive from Russia).

Salar

A fish out of water
As are the little Suzuki 4x4s, don't know if ever went to the 4x4 meets at Glasshoughton, I was out running one day and stopped to watch, a few were trying to get up this steep hill with a sharp crest at the top the only one I saw get over was the Suzuki after a few attemps.

I had a Suzuki SJ413 back in the 90's strong as anything, easy to work on, easy to fix, that was the design brief, to be able to agriculturally fix them.

One slightly scary fault was that the pin holding the gear stick on would shear off and fall into the gubbins. A bit worrying holding a gear stick in one hand and trying to steer and stop, cost of replacement pin in them days 99p.

Last edited:

bozmandb9

Insert witty title here
I was a 4 x 4 owner, and a cyclist, and now I'm not, and I'm still a cyclist. So far as I'm aware, whether I drive a 4 x 4, or a two wheel drive car, does not really affect me as a cyclist, or a person.

On the first point though, I would say mounting four bikes on roof mounted bars on a Range Rover was bloody hard work. Next time I buy a 4 x 4 I'll get a rear mounted rack!

Oh, and for the record, I would say judging anybody based on what car they drive is pretty damned stupid. Even if you think they could find a more cost effective solution to their transport needs, surely that applies to pretty much every one of us in terms of our bike choices!

Oh, and ps. Also stating the ability of 4 x 4's off road ability based on what you've heard, or read is pretty silly too. I've been on a proper off road course and seen what Land Rovers (RRS, RR Vogue, and Defender), can do, and I guarantee no saloon, or Yet, or Panda would do the same. It's not just down to whether you have 2 or 4 driven wheels, it's the electronics, the amount of clearance, the wheel travel, and a hundred other things which you haven't thought about, as well as wheel and tyre choice, or course, which as cyclists we should all know will make or break the traction efficiency of any wheeled vehicle!

Tin Pot

Guru
I think the thread had gone OT.

Nobody cares about legitimate 4WD usage, it's Chelsea Tractors.

Who here owns a 4x4 to pick up Tarquin and run over to Sainsburys?

I'm counting two so far...and good on them.

Top Bottom