Go on, admit, who is both a 4x4 owner and a cyclist ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Never an owner.

But very fond memories of driving employers' Landrovers (series 2 and 3). Toyota Landcruisers - from the BJ40 thru to great white whales. Toyota 4x4 pickups. Various Daihatsu 4x4s (nasty). Even a Lada Niva once (nice).

Smurfy

Naturist Smurf
@Drago 's dream vehicle?

916440_1514912018808124_1740131506_n.jpg

Venod

Eh up
Why not save money & look at the Octavia 4x4, or Scout???

That makes sense.

We have just got a Fabia Estate 1.2 TFSI for the wife as a placement for an Audi A1 2.0 diesel that I had to keep thrashing up and down the M62 to clear DPF problems, very impressed with the Fabia.

It will be a while before I change my Nissan Qashqai (2WD, but I got a good deal) I borrowed the sales managers top of the range 4WD X Trail, very nice

D

Deleted member 23692

I've had two 4x4's as 'company' vehicles. A 55 plate Mk3 L200, and that was followed by a 58 plate Mk7 Hilux.

After 2012 the Hilux became a pool car until it was got rid of last august. Now I have shared use of a Peugeot Partner :sad:

vickster

Legendary Member
My parents have a 2wd Yeti, suits their aging bodies well :smile:

I have a Fabia VRS estate, quick and practical. For sure useless in snow (although less useless than my brother's RWD Alpina estate) but I avoid driving in tne hateful stuff anyhow!

Drago

Legendary Member
Problem with stuff like the NedFlander, the Yeti etc is that they've got on demand AWD rather than permanent or switchable 4wd, which greatly limits their of road ability.

[QUOTE 4122411, member: 9609"]Here is an interestingly shod landrover I spotted today (screen shot from dashcam hence poor image)
a touch illegal but I guess it will be pretty useful on soft ground
Imagetyres2_zpsimyv9jqc.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Avon Flotation tyres, an approved fit, for 'special purposes', on suitable rims (need such a big off-set, to allow some degree of steering lock

Never an owner.

But very fond memories of driving employers' Landrovers (series 2 and 3). Toyota Landcruisers - from the BJ40 thru to great white whales. Toyota 4x4 pickups. Various Daihatsu 4x4s (nasty). Even a Lada Niva once (nice).
My brother-in-law had a Niva at one point, one of the later ones
It died, after losing a wheel (& stub-axle) on the M62!!!

Even though I'm a Land Rover man, I quite fancy one of the very early (1980?) Hi-Lux pick-ups, when they were on skinny 7.00 tyres, & had a 1.6 petrol engine
Ie; this shape
4eb54f309574b72088b68775cfa80c90.jpg

Failing that, an original 1977 Subaru estate (again, 1.6L, & selectable 4wd)
Around 1979/1980, they also offered the 4x4 as a saloon, pick-up & hatchback

subaru_leone_4x4.jpg

mustang1

Legendary Member
Absolutely, but even a Corsa could be made good in the snow if you start to modify it. Out the showroom, box stock as most folk will use them they offer virtually no all terrain or inclement weather advantage.

Defenders are very good, but distinctly over rated their off road prowess by people with beards who smoke roll-ups made with licquorice paper. Having been lucky enough to be at the UK press launch of the Fiat Panda 4x4 a few years back (a frined of mine is a freelance motoring writer) I saw the Panda in unskilled Journo hands successfully getting through where the defenders and Jeeps provided for comparison were consistently getting stuck.
Yes, agree about stock out of the showroom. But then again tires are consumables and easily switched. We have bot h snow tires and regular tires for our cars. People in some parts of Europe and north America keep both sets of tires even for regular 2wd cars (yes including rear wheel drive perfoamce cars).

Edit:fixed typo

Last edited:

Drago

Legendary Member
Switching tyres on AWD vehicles can make them worse. Grippy muds may never allow the fronts to slip, which means the rear axle will never engage. AWD is really out of its depth on anything beyond a farm track.

Something that was fit for purpose to begin with is a better deal for so many reasons.

mustang1

Legendary Member
Wheeler Dealers did an episode on the Panda. Can't say I liked the finished look but it was performing well against full sized 4x4 at the end of the show
Someone on these forums recently bought a dacia (iirc fab foodie) so it got me interested in checking out their 4x4 range. The YouTube videos showed it doing a-ok. :okay:

Venod

Eh up
[QUOTE 4122721, member: 45"]The Yeti isn't intended to go off road[/QUOTE]

Not in the same league as a defender but still quite capable.

Top Bottom