Go on, admit, who is both a 4x4 owner and a cyclist ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Cyclist yes, 4x4 not guilty m'lud

Lonestar

Veteran
[QUOTE 4121828, member: 45"]Some people do get awfully defensive on some matters.[/QUOTE]

I am.I haven't got a wpanzer or a car for that matter.:cursing::tongue:

Jimidh

Veteran
The Mini is "on-demand", so technically AWD rather than true 4x4.

wot Jeep do you have?
Cherokee - it's a great car to drive. Bought it because we live high up when it snows it's useful to have something that can cope and get me to work. Plus is great for slinging bikes into the roof and driving up fire roads and going mountain biking - which is where I have just corn me home from.

I live in a relatively rural area and there isn't a big issue between cyclists and 4x4 driver. In fact I never really have problems with drivers but I tend not to cycle through busy towns or cities.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
It's not so much the car, its the driver*.

Last time we had any appreciable snow (two or three years ago) I got to work without incident in a small hatchback (very much 2WD) on normal tyres. A colleague, with the sort of full size heavy duty 4x4 that the United Nations use, claimed he couldn't get in as the roads were impassible...

* - although certain marques do seem to be over represented in the numpty stakes

Defenders are very good, but distinctly over rated their off road prowess by people with beards who smoke roll-ups made with licquorice paper. Having been lucky enough to be at the UK press launch of the Fiat Panda 4x4 a few years back (a frined of mine is a freelance motoring writer) I saw the Panda in unskilled Journo hands successfully getting through where the defenders and Jeeps provided for comparison were consistently getting stuck.
Wheeler Dealers did an episode on the Panda. Can't say I liked the finished look but it was performing well against full sized 4x4 at the end of the show

Renmurew

Veteran
Golly, I have 3 4x4's. A Rav 4, a Suzuki Grand Vitara and a Land Rover Discovery. I live on a farm so they come in handy particularly in winter. Only got 1 bike though, so maybe I should push for a +1 :laugh:

Globalti

Legendary Member
A Polaris Mountain Marathon some time in about 1993 or 1994. On one particular event the only vehicles that could get out of the field were 4x4s so my lovely old Landy was in its element. This one was in Derbyshire and only the last few yards to the road were muddy.

P1040967_zps4pdascdc.jpg

Venod

Eh up
I have had a Honda HRV a Freelander MK1 and a Freelander MK2, I don't have one at the minute but an Audi Allroad or Skoda Yeti would be nice.

Skoda Yeti would be nice.
We looked at Yeti's when we were looking for a new car (& bought the Octavia), but it was just after (a fairly snowy) winter & they were at a premium
However, at that time, Joanne (wife) was travelling down to Leicester, Newport & Cardiff 2 -3 times a week on business, & the economy of the Octavia over a Yeti was one factor

Sadly, now Skoda, in common with other manufacturers (even Land Rover, with the 'Ewok'), offer a 2wd version of the Yeti
'All mouth & no trousers', 'Fur coat & no knickers' are 2 phrases that spring to mind

The local Skoda main-dealer were writing to every Yeti owner in the groups (DM Keith) books, to ask if present owners wanted to sell ,as they could sell them on basically the same day!!!
When time comes to replace it, I'd like the new Octavia 4x4 estate, not the Scout, it's not got the wheel-arch plastic, & rides a bit lower than the Scout (only an inch or so, higher than the FWD versions)

I've seen some of the new ones on the road. YAS has a couple as Fast Response Cars, I'll no doubt catch one at work & have a decent look at one, & talk to the Paramedic driving it

I don't have one at the minute but an Audi Allroad.
Why not save money & look at the Octavia 4x4, or Scout???
The Superb is available in both guises too

Having just looked at their website, Audi UK haven't put a price up for the A4 All-Road yet, but the cheapest A4 Avant shows at £27,300 (1.4 TFSi??)

As an indirect comparison, Skoda have their cheapest Octavia 4x4 estate (1.6Tdi - same engine as mine) listed at £22,300

£5,000 would buy a lot of fuel. Or bikes.........................

Top Bottom