Holme Moss Loop

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Calum

It was a good one that's for sure. Holme Moss into a very strong, freezing headwind took the mick though! We ended up sheltering to the side of two cars in the car park at the top!

trio25

Über Member
3090092900_6e9f275b80.jpg

3090092766_4b7afcdedb.jpg

Great ride, nice and cold and the sheltering in the cars was funny! Above is the loop we did and the elevation!

Nice to meet everyone and thanks longers for organising it.

OP
OP
longers

longers

Legendary Member
I hope everyone made it home safe, has had a good hot bath and a brew :smile:.

More importantly I hope you had a good day out.

The weather was kind to us, the headwind up the hill was a bit unpleasant but apart from that and the ice and the cold it was perfect :smile:.

I must apologise because I should have described the dual carriageway bit beforehand rather than just hoping you'd follow me and a-n-t and get it right. Soz, I did realise but it was too late by then.

Fossy - don't worry mate it was crap :laugh: shame you couldn't make it though.

Nice to meet new faces and see some old ones too :laugh:.

colly

Re member eR
Back in, scrubbed and tubbed, belly full, couple of glasses of the old red falling down water. Luverly.

Great ride nice to meet you all. Thanks Longers.

Apart from me failing to notice some ice until it was under me (new shorts please!), the conditions were pretty good.

Biting headwind up Holme Moss though.

Hope you all made it back safely, nice to meet everyone - cheers Longers.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I was all kitted up for the cold - I was steaming (literally) by the time I had to turn back..... well hissed as the roads were terrible getting through to where I knew they were OK....can't afford a serious off....

The state of the main roads really shocked me.... I new I'd have to walk to the main road - did that, with me Spesh Pro Carbons in my hands...... changed, shoved flip flops in pocket, set out.....Fine, then all got rather nasty...... tyres started frosting, road went from gritted to white out - tyres running on ice - passed through about 3 or 4 bad bits, but then saw the state of the road just before the climb up through Hattersley........ no chance....... that's when a landrover slid everywhere as I was stood texting Longers.....brown pants.............

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Next time...... we'll be there..... this sodding headwind that seems to stop us lot getting back West doesn't stop....... it wasn't pleasant last time Longers and I climbed Snake back home............... an omen perhaps.......

Chris James

Über Member
Thanks Longers for organising it. And thanks for the rest of you for waiting in a snow bank at the top of the Isle of Skye for me to hove into view. By that point I was at one speed - dead slow.

Although not too bad on the downhills - a hefty steel bike and years of beer and pie abuse sort that side of things out nicely!

I wish I had put some more layers on though. It was absolutely freezing waiting around on the top of Holme Moss.

I am looking forward to Dan Bo posting his pictures - if they came out.

Hope Paul (Marin York) made it back okay as it was a bit of a trek back to Sheffield.

colly

Re member eR
I'm afraid a couple taken at the top of Holme Moss didn't come out. No idea why.
These did though.

Top of ? Saddleworth? :bravo:

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Hey. I got back fine. Getting back out of holmfirth the second time was 1.5 miles of fair pain and then after that trundled happily back home apart from the climb out of Sheffield city centre. Spun the legs out slightly afterwards. 67 miles for the day so a good total and 5050ft of climbing, Legs feel fine now (body cold and tired), if I didn't have something I've had to work on this afternoon I'd have hoped on the bike and tried for an Imperial Century. Had a fairly long cafe stop on the Stocksbridge bypass in a cafe I've been past before and it was very good. It was good of people organising it :laugh:. Some great views from Hade Edge when the sun was out about midday. In hindsight I would have taken less clobber, had a cafe stop on the way there on the bypass to split up the climb to just outside Holmfirth (and this weird diversion that seemed to take it out of me). The descent was pretty fun, didn't really realise how steep the very bottom of the climb was before the zig zags until I went the other way.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Which ones? Strangely enough my feet were not cold much on Sunday but I've looked at endura overshoes. There seem to be several endura ones in a LBS for about £20, unfortunately they didn't have size on and the thing I was wondering was how do they fit on when the hole for the cleats seems to be in the wrong place?

Top Bottom