Holme Moss Loop

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Chris James

Über Member
fossyant said:
I won't be going fast on that descent....it's as rough as hell, massive contrast to the 2 mile twisty climb on the other side....smooth, and a hellish climb...the buggers that have painted the signs every 1/4 mile need shooting !!!!!

The descent to Woodhead scares the living daylights out of me. Last time I braked almost all the way down with a death grip thereby making me paranoid my vice like grip would induce shimmy and that all that braking would make my rims so hot that the air in the tyres would explode them!

Obviously this just served to make me more scared, braking more and making the whole cycle worse.

If I recall correctly there are a whole series of adverse cambers tending to push you out onto oncoming traffic.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation

a_n_t

longers said:
Secret Start at Surosa: 8.30/8.40 ish - Dan Bo, a-n-t and myself

actually, think it'll be easier for me to meet at greenfield. fingers crossed! Is the pub just before the junction of huddersfield/manchester rd?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
First one - dubbed 'other side'..... you can see the camera shaking ..... it's a crap surface....

I like climbing that side better.... the Holmefirth to Manchester bit is out of my comfort zone.....just a bit too steep and long...and the markers....

a_n_t

fossyant said:
sod it 39 x 21 bottom....:mrpig:..!!!

:biggrin: indeed..............34 x 29 for me :blush:

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
On the descent I'd certainly say the first big corner needs care. The gradient kicks upto about 15% and long corner. The sections thereafter are hard to say, depends on the surface but are straighter.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Listen...I'm no mad descender at all...... I chicken out - more like preserving the bike than me.......

It can be a mad descent....I'll be taking my time, but as Dan says, the sun will be on it.....I'm more worried about getting out of my estate......in Looks.....

Just checked my training logs - I last went up in early November last year and had a good ride....the wind is a killer on Holme Moss.....and the Snake....

Top Bottom