How "Busy" is England?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
The Scottish coasts are wonderful and I love how quiet they are.
Maybe the rain factor? :whistle:
I think it's a distance thing, even from Manchester it's 125miles just to get to the Scottish boarder nevermind a coast.
How many miles to get to a sunny Spanish seaside resort? :whistle:

Also Scottish tourism promote the city breaks, lochs & mountains more than the coastline.
One can drown in a stormy sea, walking in the rain is safer :laugh:

We went to Alnwick, which looked lovely and we'll go back (without the dogs) soon for a walk about. We then went to Craster, Seahouses and Bamburgh and they were rammed. Which was the real shock as I thought they'd have been fairly quiet. We ended up in Eyemouth for ice-cream. Which was very nice.

I didn't think they places we went (see above) were tourist spots.

It was more the difference between England/Scotland that surprised me (only 30 mins drive) - now, I am not claiming that Eyemouth is the hottest tourist attraction in the world but the ice-cream and fish'n'chips at Giacopazzis is loads better than anything a van on the shoreside (which seemed to being doing a roaring trade in the other places) can do.

Anyway, I plan to go back to Alnwick for a wander and food, and Craster (for a pint and food) and Bamburgh (Castle) and Seahouses (no idea why but I suppose I should) when it's a lot quieter...if it ever is!

You didnt think they were tourist spots?? Probably the four most 'tourist spots' there are in Northumberland !

I wouldnt say it was "horribly bucket-and-spade commercial" but cant understand why anyone would go there 'for a look'. The fish and chips (if you ever get served) are amazing but, unless you are there between October and April you may have a bit of a wait (worth it mind) :-)

OP
OP
Pro Tour Punditry
Seahouses, but a fellow denizen of the B&B said it was horribly bucket-and-spade commercial.

Aye there looked to be that kind of thing going on - I quite liked the vibe of it due to childhood memories of bucket and spade holidays, but I had not gone there expecting "people".

I'm not being critical of the places I went, more "surprise". Especially due to the "just over the border" difference.

OP
OP
Pro Tour Punditry
Thats because you went to the 4 biggest tourist attractions there are in Northumberland in the height of summer lol
As I typed earlier, I did not know that. It's only over the border from me, and I am used to the "seaside" here. So was wondering why it was so busy when a few miles north is so quiet.

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
[QUOTE 3816988, member: 45"]I think I need to get working on that wall again.[/QUOTE]

To keep you English out?? Yes, a very good idea!! :giggle:

Loads of quiet beaches out here on the Cumbrian coast. Most people don't venture out to the coast as you have to get round the Lake District.

Yebbut Sellafield is also a bit of a handicap too!! :whistle:

The thing is, when I've been to the nice coastal areas of Scotland (up North) they've all been inhabited by ex-pat English too. I think the Scots just don't like the sea :tongue:

Yeah, I will admit that I find that too, and it is slightly galling at times.

How many miles to get to a sunny Spanish seaside resort? :whistle:

Ah, but that will 'different'.

One can drown in a stormy sea, walking in the rain is safer :laugh:

Stand in the rain with your mouth open and breath in as the water falls in.... :giggle:

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
Eyemouth is hell. My worst ever job was tailing prawns in Eyemouth - literally ripping live prawns apart with your bare hands. We lived there for about six months and the wife says she'll divorce me if she ever has to clap eyes on the place again.

And btw, the fish at the fish n chip shop isn't fresh, it's frozen. I used to have to thaw out the huge blocks from Russian factory ships overnight on a Wednesday then deliver the fish on a Thursday.

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
I live near go Glasgow but have loads of nice quiet countryside on my doorstep, BUT the one thing I have never got my head around in certain areas of England, like the Midlands, is the fact that you have loads of cities practically right next to each other.

Now I admit that you could just think of them as being big towns, but I am afraid that to me, cities should be a remotely sensible distance appart, never mind the fact that there must be far, far too many people and general urban sprawl to make it a bit.... Well, crap!

It is also why I could never live somewhere like London - It is just TOO big!!

Last edited:

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
We went to Alnwick, which looked lovely and we'll go back (without the dogs) soon for a walk about. We then went to Craster, Seahouses and Bamburgh and they were rammed. Which was the real shock as I thought they'd have been fairly quiet. We ended up in Eyemouth for ice-cream. Which was very nice.
Well, those are the tourist spots, tbh... This was Druridge Bay the other morning...

11722096_10153489393284740_4513787413716840344_o.jpg

Dave 123

Legendary Member
@Marmion

You ought to come and sample Silver Street/Kings Parade area in Cambridge. Beautiful architecture, verdant lawns, the river....

Half the populations of Japan, China, France, Germany and an assortment of other nationalities.

The orientals...... They are out of control! A bus rumbles down the street- Mr oriental will walk out into the middle, crouch down and take a picture of his wife giving a peace sign. It's a miracle one hasn't been squished!

EDIT- I forgot to mention the punt touts, who should all be shot.

Last edited:

Angry Blonde

Über Member
They should have voted for independance, then we should have put the wall back up. Then took back all our forces off them oh and the oil rigs !

Theres nowt but hills and grass there, no point to it really haha !

byegad

Legendary Member
But it's also school holiday time in Scotland. Although well in to it so I guess the 'going and doing fun stuff' euphoria you get at the beginning of things may have calmed down there.

When I was a kid, Redcar, not the most salubrious of English Seaside towns, used to be packed by Scottish holidaymakers during Scots school holidays. I cycle in Northumberland twice a year, at Easter and in October and it's really not very busy. As to going to Scotland for a holiday, I've done it in the past and the webbed feet have nearly cleared up.

Top Bottom