How "Busy" is England?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Brandane

Legendary Member
As to going to Scotland for a holiday, I've done it in the past and the webbed feet have nearly cleared up.
If I didn't live here, I doubt if I would ever come near it. I love the scenery and most of the people, but the weather really is rank rotten - especially in the west.
I have actually seriously considered emigrating to Ingerlund purely because of our weather, but I always manage to convince myself that constant wind and rain isn't really THAT bad.

byegad

Legendary Member
I think it's a distance thing, even from Manchester it's 125miles just to get to the Scottish border nevermind a coast.

Something people in Lunnun will find amazing. Seeing how HS2 'to the North' was going, in its first phase to Birmingham!

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
I live near go Glasgow but have loads of nice quiet countryside on my doorstep, BUT the one thing I have never got my head around in certain areas of England, like the Midlands, is the fact that you have loads of cities practically right next to each other.

Now I admit that you could just think of them as being big towns, but I am afraid that to me, cities should be a remotely sensible distance appart, never mind the fact that there must be far, far too many people and general urban sprawl to make it a bit.... Well, crap!

It is also why I could never live somewhere like London - It is just TOO big!!

But I could throw a stone from Renfield Street and have it land in Princes Street. :smile:

SpokeyDokey

If I didn't live here, I doubt if I would ever come near it. I love the scenery and most of the people, but the weather really is rank rotten - especially in the west.
I have actually seriously considered emigrating to Ingerlund purely because of our weather, but I always manage to convince myself that constant wind and rain isn't really THAT bad.

As a fellow sufferer of this (albeit a bit South of you) I extend my sympathies.

I'm ok (ish) until drizzle 'sets in' for quite literally 2 or 3 weeks - and then I get in a real fug/tizz/fret.

SpokeyDokey

I ventured to Englandshire yesterday and visited what I thought would be quite Northumberland coastal areas and everywhere was rammed with people, parking restrictions were in force and it was not at all as I had envisaged - it came as quite a shock, as I am more used to the "almost" if not "Completely" deserted coastal places of Scotland.

Mrs Marmion mentioned it to her sister (who lives in England) when she was speaking to her tonight and she said she is always amazed how quiet Scotland is (especially as it is 1,000 time better than England).

And this is a genuine question...do "lots of people" make English urban dwellers feel "at home" but still "away from home"? And is there an "I'm in England" and "that is Scotland and not me" approach? Nothing wrong with that, I am just interested to enquire - it really was a shock to me. I am fairly sure Scottish urban dwellers may do the same but there are less of us and more coast...

I think you are over-analyzing a simple day out. :tongue:

Moon bunny

Judging your grammar.
@Marmion

You ought to come and sample Silver Street/Kings Parade area in Cambridge. Beautiful architecture, verdant lawns, the river....

Half the populations of Japan, China, France, Germany and an assortment of other nationalities.

The orientals...... They are out of control! A bus rumbles down the street- Mr oriental will walk out into the middle, crouch down and take a picture of his wife giving a peace sign. It's a miracle one hasn't been squished!...

The other halves must be in Bowness on Windermere. As for their photography, well! For instance a few of us were in a steam launch tied up at the public jetty, eating chippy suppers, within a very few minutes the east Asians were queueing up to photograph us!

Brandane

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 3817358, member: 9609"]

then we have seriously wet places in cumbria and west coast of scotland with about 130 inches[/QUOTE]

Yep :rain:. I don't think some of our south eastern brethren have the slightest idea of just how wet it is up here, and how few dry days we get - even in summer. Just one reason why cycling is never going to be a major sport/method of transport in these parts (not a bad thing in my selfish POV as there aren't enough of us to get the motons wound up).

SpokeyDokey

[QUOTE 3817358, member: 9609"]Depends where you go, east coast is surprisingly dry - for comparison some anual percipitation
London Gatwick - 30 inches
Brighton South Coast - 32 Inches
Edinburgh - 26 Inches
User9609 Towers in the borders 28 Inches
Tynemouth - 26 inches
Glasgow - 52 inches
Eskdalemuir - 61 inches

then we have seriously wet places in cumbria and west coast of scotland with about 130 inches[/QUOTE]

Thanks for cheering me up - we only get around 90-95'' pa here - positively Kalahari-esque by comparison.

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
I lived on Arran where we once had over 400 consecutive days of rain (2002 or 2003 I think.

Edit: by that I mean 400 days when we had rain - from a shower to non-stop pouring. Not 400 days of continuous rain.

Last edited:

steve50

Disenchanted Member
The Scottish coasts are wonderful and I love how quiet they are. So far I've explored the east & north coasts next stop west coast.

I think it's a distance thing, even from Manchester it's 125miles just to get to the Scottish boarder nevermind a coast.

Lots of people from work are going to the Welsh coast / Blackpool as they're nearer.

Also Scottish tourism promote the city breaks, lochs & mountains more than the coastline.

i would avoid the Ayrshire coast if I was you, if you go as far as Irvine and the surrounding coastline you will find it very polluted with sewerage covered beaches especially irvine , Troon and nearby beaches, the cause is a badly damaged sewerage main that feeds directly into the sea between Irvine and Troon its been like that since i was a nipper playing on those beaches.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
i would avoid the Ayrshire coast if I was you, if you go as far as Irvine and the surrounding coastline you will find it very polluted with sewerage covered beaches especially irvine , Troon and nearby beaches, the cause is a badly damaged sewerage main that feeds directly into the sea between Irvine and Troon its been like that since i was a nipper playing on those beaches.
Whereas the Ayrshire Alps are wonderful. imo/ime anyway. Glorious part of the world to ride a bike in.

MarkF

Guru
I live on the north Leeds/Bradford border, It's busy, the roads very, I can get anywhere within 3 miles of house quicker on bike, in any direction. I love the space in Scotland but the pebble dash negates much of that pleasure.

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
But I could throw a stone from Renfield Street and have it land in Princes Street. :smile:

At least Edinburgh is about 50 miles away, and Stirling is a remotely sensible distance away too (ok, so you have Dunblane nearby to Stirling, but at least it is quite small in comparison to some places).

[QUOTE 3817348, member: 259"]By some miracle, they managed to create the Peak District national park, which sits slap bang in the middle of loads of major cities, and still manages to be really great (except for caravan season).[/QUOTE]

Which is all very well, but it doesn't extend to everywhere. Anyway, I have a mental image of these places just running into each other and there not being much to differentiate between them. Yes, you might have a few fields here and there :giggle:, but really, as I say, I just cannot get my head round just how close some places are to each other.
One that gets me is Leeds and Bradford for example.

I now await an influx of messages saying that actually there is a small mountain range or something between them!

The Col Du Vernon? :laugh:

Last edited:
Top Bottom