Votes: 5 5.7%
  • I don't have a lawn

Votes: 8 9.1%
  • I do have a lawn but I don't mow it

Votes: 5 5.7%
  • Scythe

Votes: 4 4.5%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
We have 2 lawns - small one at the back - about 6m by 15m

front one is much bigger - about 20m by 25 m but annoyingly thicker near the house than at the road end - so you can't just do simple runs up and down
Also the front one has a tree/bush/mess in the middle which makes it awkward to mow

but it works fine with a flymo corded rotary - one with wheels rather than a hover one which I fine can generate moss by leaving loads of bit of grass behind
possibly
anyway - it works - so far

We always had a cylinder when I was a kid
when it stopped cutting properly my Uncle to adjust it - took about 30 seconds with a screwdriver and it cut like new again

when he became to ill to do it I tried and failed - made it better but not like him
mind you - he was a mechanic and spent most of his working life maintaining the local authority's mowers/tractors and the like - ended up in charge of the whole site - so if he didn;t know what to do them no-one would!

anyway - rotary for me - spinny metal thing that just cuts anything in its way
just need to keep the kids feet away from it!

OP
OP
Dogtrousers

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Here's what I use
brill-razorcut-33-push-lawn-mower-21249136.jpg

figbat

Slippery scientist
Self-propelled power - petrol, to be precise. A venerable Hayter Harrier that was left behind at our last house when we bought it - still running some 15 years later and always starts on the first or second pull, even after the winter break.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
My option is to bribe my son. He did half of it yesterday, emptied some of the clippings onto the trampoline instead the adjacent compost enclosure, left the remaining clippings in the basket and didn't put the mower away. He also left the extension lead plugged into the greenhous and door wide open.

So a better job than usual

Maybe you need to increase the amount of the bribe ? ;)

this mower, which belonged to our neighbors, predates our moving in, in 1966
old mower.jpg

I doubt any new push mower handle made these days would last 58+ years
handle.jpg

was so tempted to take it & rejuvenate it, but that would have been stealing
blades.jpg

came across it while fixing a fence panel between the 2 properties. the original owners are long gone & sadly the house sits vacant today. I wonder what other treasures may be in the basement

before Dad bought a gas mower, I had to mow our various lawn sections with a newer push mower. not so fond memories, if I recall correctly

Top Bottom