Votes: 5 5.7%
  • I don't have a lawn

Votes: 8 9.1%
  • I do have a lawn but I don't mow it

Votes: 5 5.7%
  • Scythe

Votes: 4 4.5%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sterlo

Early Retirement Planning

OP
OP
Dogtrousers

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
We use a battery powered rotary mower for the rest. I love the discovery that the lawnmower and workshop drill use the same batteries-thanks Bosch!
I see these single battery systems and I think how great it would be if my Strimmer (rechargeable) Hedge Trimmer (cable) mower (human power) drill (cable) and electric screwdriver (rechargeable with removable battery) plus a few other things all ran off the same system.

But I'm not going to get rid of a bunch of perfectly good tools just in the name of compatibility. So I'm stuck with what I have.

Last edited:

Ripple

Veteran
Ooooh, I used scythe once, that was so cool !
My mum's partner bought a small house in the forest. The house sat in the middle of a very large meadow which was not maintained for eons. Grass was my waist high and it wasn't just soft usual green grass - it was tall, hard and dry stuff.
I was wandering around the house and saw a scythe. Bit rusty though but I though I will have a good laugh at myself (never used it before - I only used to see my grandpa using it).
For my surprise the blade was still sharp enough to chop that jungle. So I cleaned large area around the house and water well and outside wc (welcome to the primeval Eastern Europe) and now we were able get to these places without a fear to get lost. And the army of gnats and other flying creatures of nightmares were happy too and had a massive drink party of my blood (it was summer).

I see these single battery systems and I think how great it would be if my Strimmer (rechargeable) Hedge Trimmer (cable) mower (human power) drill (cable) and electric screwdriver (rechargeable with removable battery) plus a few other things all ran off the same system.

But I'm not going to get rid of a bunch of perfectly good tools just in the name of compatibility. So I'm stuck with what I have.

right, because we know what will happen, there will be another replacement for that than. been hopping back & forth to Mom's house & I occasionally use some of my late Dad's tools. the drill still works really well. but I do love my cordless drill, gotta admit that!

at my 2nd job we have a cordless circular saw. gotta say I would really like one that uses the same battery as my drill. but do you know what I use for a circular saw now? an old metal one, which O got cheap at a barn sale. just had to replace the wire. I love it. but lighter & no wire, yeah that would be sweet. but then what to do with the perfectly functioning older wired unit?

Alex321

Veteran
Ooooh, I used scythe once, that was so cool !
My mum's partner bought a small house in the forest. The house sat in the middle of a very large meadow which was not maintained for eons. Grass was my waist high and it wasn't just soft usual green grass - it was tall, hard and dry stuff.
I was wandering around the house and saw a scythe. Bit rusty though but I though I will have a good laugh at myself (never used it before - I only used to see my grandpa using it).
For my surprise the blade was still sharp enough to chop that jungle. So I cleaned large area around the house and water well and outside wc (welcome to the primeval Eastern Europe) and now we were able get to these places without a fear to get lost. And the army of gnats and other flying creatures of nightmares were happy too and had a massive drink party of my blood (it was summer).

We have a sickle (called a cryman in Welsh), which is basically a short handled scythe, that I used a few times in the last house. The grass is never likely to get long enough in this house to use it.

Robot mower, nothing really comes close in terms of grass quality after using one.

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
I use a self propelled petrol mower with a 56cm cut.
I'm thinking of buying a small ride on mower.
I have to cut my front lawn every couple of weeks and also cut two other lawns at the rear of my house.
IMG_20230626_173837428_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230626_173930660_HDR.jpg

I can usually do the whole lot, with my current mower, in under an hour.

Dave 123

Legendary Member
In my time in horticulture I’ve used every type of mower you could think of, from triple ride on cylinder that cost £50k down to £100 battery operated rotary mowers.

It’s all horses for courses of courses.

I’ve cut thousands of miles sat behind a diesel engine which probably wasn’t good for me.

I’ve walked 500 miles and I probably walked 500 more behind cylinder and rotary mowers.

As a youngster I set fire to a petrol flymo at the Ellesmere Port Boat Museum as I was cutting the grass banked basins. Hot day, mower on the end of a long rope and boom! It combusted. I only had to let another foot of rope out to dunk it in the canal water!

For my current mower I have a Stihl battery powered mower. It doesn’t have a roller, but it’s quiet, strong and reliable….. and I very rarely use my electricity to charge the battery! It’s the best one I’ve ever used when I weigh it all up.

Gwylan

Veteran
I plug the mower in for my neighbour. She mows the lawn

Odd custom and practice I don't fully understand.
There is some reciprocity in the arrangement.

Top Bottom