How long does a sting or bite pain last for?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I got stung on my head during today's ride. Well either stung or bit, but whatever it is it's still hurting after 4 hours. I saw this insect heading towards my helmet then in it went. I couldn't stop and take my helmet off in time, It felt like an injection in my head, it was that painful. It's on top of my head at the back so i can't see it that well in the mirror but i can feel something. Should i make my way to the A&E department?:huh:

Depends what it was. Wasps several hours as are bees, horseflies similar but more itchy

PK99

Legendary Member
Treat it like a weaver fish sting- stick your head in water as hot as you can stand for 15 minutes.

Firestorm

Veteran
A wasp flew into me on a down hill stretch last week , stinging the inside of my bottom lip. It hurt like buggery for 10 minutes and the pain and swelling went in about three hours.
I wouldneed trouble health care professionals unless I was swelling and itchy in places unrelated to the sting
If you start to struggle for breath call 999, otherwise mtfu

Last edited:

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Apparently the pain can go on forever and ever.
I know how it feels....

Hugh Manatee

Veteran
If it was a bee, the sting might still be in as it has micro barbs. Wasp is a straight in and out. If the sting is present and therefore a bee, bicarbonate of soda solution (acidic sting). If the likelyhood was a wasp, vinegar is your friend as the sting is alkaline.

As someone has said, horse flies just take a big chunk out of you. Antiseptic is what is needed with them? Helmets seem a bit dangerous?

Top Bottom