How quickly can you get your foot down, when you screw up a shift on a steep hill?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Racing roadkill
Don't go up a 25% hill.....
I'm going to make sure I never ever do again, I usually only go up hills like that by mistake. I only do hills if they happen to be in my way.

Reactions: mjr
OP
OP
Racing roadkill
You definitely need to be adjusting gears before you get to the 25% bit.... obviously if you know the terrain. :okay:
And there in lies the problem, I've never ridden up Leith hill from the :wacko: side. I didn't know about the kicker at the top. On paper, box hill looks worse, in reality (because of the steady nature of the climb, and the billiard table smooth surface) it's a piece of cake to get the mechs working on the fly:okay:.

Buck

Guru
...and why is it that you cycle round the corner and the hill looks at least 25% and feels like it yet when you look at your Garmin or get home and check Strava it says something like 14% - I'm sure mine's faulty!!!

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
...and why is it that you cycle round the corner and the hill looks at least 25% and feels like it yet when you look at your Garmin or get home and check Strava it says something like 14% - I'm sure mine's faulty!!!
Yeah, it's depressing when the toughest hill you've ridden is barely 12%. Oh well, I'm back in Somerset soon and maybe will test my legs on some actual 25%s!

Buck

Guru
Yeah, it's depressing when the toughest hill you've ridden is barely 12%. Oh well, I'm back in Somerset soon and maybe will test my legs on some actual 25%s!

Enjoy those 1 in 4s. No shortage up here but an abundance doesn't make them any easier.

OP
OP
Racing roadkill
I go on the road sign :smile:

MikeW-71

Veteran
I saw a roadsign with 33% printed on it on the way up the moors on saturday.

I did not go to investigate

OP
OP
Racing roadkill
I'm on my way back from London to Southampton as I type. I've got a lovely 25 percenter to test my trim adjustments out on, in a minute. I'm just having a coffee to get my legs working again.

D

Deleted member 1258

And the bit that annoys more is the scrape to the bike not the elbow!

Yes but it also annoys because it was my fault, I cocked up the shift, left the shift too late and shifted at low cadence high power, or what counts as high power for me, when I checked the mech the adjustment was spot on.

Last edited by a moderator:

coffeejo

Ælfrēd
Took my road bike in for its service this morning. The mechanic is a lovely chap and very thorough. Too thorough, really. It's the first time he's met my Orbea and he spotted the tell tale scrapes on the rear derailleur from a few years ago when I discovered what happens when you run out of gears on a hill. :blush: Thankfully he failed to notice (or was too polite to mention) the chewed up bar tape on one of the drops from a similar incident, though in my defence I did manage to unclip that time before hitting the deck. I won't mention the chain ring scars in my calf from when I kept the bike upright, unclipped with no problems, successfully put the correct foot down ... but forgot to hit the brakes.

Top Bottom