I think Thorn cycles are ugly

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mickle

innit
Had a Thorn dweeb owner come in to the shop a few years ago. 'Nice looking bike' I lied, 'Is it as new as it looks'?
'Yes', says he, 'I'm happy with it to be honest'.
'Really? Why?' says I, feigning interest in yet another British Racing Green Touring bike.

Well he had asked for pump pegs and there, under the paint, nicely brazed between the seat tube and LH seat stay, was a three inch nail with the head still on it.

Cowboys.

wafflycat

Thorn's just don't do it for me. I'm another who finds them ugly. But hey, so what, if the owner is happy with his/her bike, who cares whether anyone else likes it or not.

betty swollocks

large member
mickle said:
Had a Thorn dweeb owner come in to the shop a few years ago. 'Nice looking bike' I lied, 'Is it as new as it looks'?
'Yes', says he, 'I'm happy with it to be honest'.
'Really? Why?' says I, feigning interest in yet another British Racing Green Touring bike.

Well he had asked for pump pegs and there, under the paint, nicely brazed between the seat tube and LH seat stay, was a three inch nail with the head still on it.

Cowboys.

Those are harsh words indeed Mickle.
Care to explain the reason(s) behind your comments?

Rhythm Thief

Veteran
betty swollocks said:
Those are harsh words indeed Mickle.
Care to explain the reason(s) behind your comments?

Er ... I presume the bit Mickle took exception to was: "he had asked for pump pegs and there, under the paint, nicely brazed between the seat tube and LH seat stay, was a three inch nail with the head still on it.". For obvious reasons.

simoncc

Thorn tourers are like 4x4 cars. They are for affluent middle-aged people who try too hard to look rugged and practical. People who have 4x4s,Thorns and similar heavy touring or 'expedition' bikes always seem to have suspiciously new outdoor gear. They never have old fleeces, panniers or waterproof gear even those these things last for years, especially if rarely used.

Cathryn

Legendary Member
OH MY WORD.

So I get in from a busy day at work and log on to cyclechat only to find this kind of heresy and evilness inhabiting my favourite website! Thorns are BEAUTIFUL!! I appreciate they're not sleek carbon thoroughbred kind of bicycles but they have a nobility of purpose and a beauty that blows the silly carbon puppies out the water! I look at Liesl and think she's the cutest, prettiest little sparkly blue touring bike on the planet!

Am happy to concede that not everyone finds the same thing beautiful (otherwise my husband would have a proper fight on his hands) but don't say Thorns are ugly!!

Cathryn

Legendary Member
WAFFLES!!

You watch out, lady. I'm off on an Apprentice style nasty negotiating course tomorrow...you won't stand a chance on Friday when I get back!

wafflycat

Careful, Cathryn, all this aggressive talk and you'll be getting the forum blokes coming over all unnecessary at the thought of a dominant woman :biggrin:

Chuffy

Veteran
I always thought the graphics on the road bikes have a slightly naive, 'own brand cornflakes' look about them....

Not sure what the spacer thing is all about though...:smile:

Rhythm Thief

Veteran
Chuffy said:
Not sure what the spacer thing is all about though...:smile:

That's what I don't like about them. They might look alright fitted with an old style quill stem, or something. Or, of course, when there aren't any spacers required.

ComedyPilot

Secret Lemonade Drinker
Cathryn said:
OH MY WORD.

So I get in from a busy day at work and log on to cyclechat only to find this kind of heresy and evilness inhabiting my favourite website! Thorns are BEAUTIFUL!! I appreciate they're not sleek carbon thoroughbred kind of bicycles but they have a nobility of purpose and a beauty that blows the silly carbon puppies out the water! I look at Liesl and think she's the cutest, prettiest little sparkly blue touring bike on the planet!

Am happy to concede that not everyone finds the same thing beautiful (otherwise my husband would have a proper fight on his hands) but don't say Thorns are ugly!!

Someone just pulled the pin on a grenade!!!! :wacko::ohmy:

I am off to Siberia until this one blows over.:smile:

Top Bottom