I think Thorn cycles are ugly

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

simoncc

You never see a well-used and battered Thorn. They are always gleaming. I think they are the bike that local government offices buy upon early retirement

Amanda P

Legendary Member
Rhythm Thief said:
That's what I don't like about them. They might look alright fitted with an old style quill stem, or something. Or, of course, when there aren't any spacers required.

I wondered how long it would be before someone said that. Thorns seem to take the business of having miles of pin showing and stacks of headset spacers to extremes.

Maybe it's my getting my introduction to serious cycling in the 80s, but I just can't see what's so great about threadless headsets*. Ugly, knobbly things, and when combined with a stack of spacers, that seems not only ugly, but an inelegant solution to getting bars where you want them. Why not just build a taller frame?

Maybe that's why Cathryn likes hers - no stack of spacers or seatpin is necessary there.

*Yeah, I know they're stronger. But where was the epidemic of failing quill stems and threaded 1" headsets that made all this strength suddenly necessary? It never was necessary - at least not on steel frames - which Thorns are.

simoncc

jpembroke said:
Ah, the Thorn bikes/local government link. It was so obvious.

Well it is obvious. Thorn users are nearly all middle-aged public servants who are in the National Trust and who probably nearly bought that book called 'The History of British Cycle Lights Since 1945' that was reviewed in the CTC mag recently. They take their new Thorns up to Scotland on the back of their Volvo estate or the 4x4 and they pootle around scenic short, council signposted rides on them. Then they leave it in the garage until next year, totally forget about it or adverise it for sale as hardly used.

Cathryn

Legendary Member
....which means that other people can snap up bargains, love their bikes and take them travelling! So by default, nothing wrong with local government people buying new Thorns.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
I like Thorns.
I nearly bought an 853 Audax and often regret not doing so. I like them because they're well though out for their purpose rather than to look flashy for the showroom. Also their frames come in 2 TT lengths for each size and you vcan have a real try before you buy. Fab.
IIRC they still do a model witha quill stem. Having a lot of steerer allows people to obtain the widest range of fit, seems fine by me, it's easy to cut the steerer down to size if needs (or aesthetics) require.
Thorn are obviously doing something right... they seem to be in good health, and their latest Audax MK3 was well reviewed.

sloe

I just can't see what's so great about threadless headsets*. Ugly, knobbly things, and when combined with a stack of spacers, that seems not only ugly, but an inelegant solution to getting bars where you want them. Why not just build a taller frame?

Actually, Thorns, Silkroad Tout-Terrains and some other European trekkers do not have a great stack of spacers.

What they have is a bollock/flap-saving low crossbar.

You'll not get unexpectedly halted on a high tussock without the bike to take you into that sort of terrain in the first place. But if you were daft enough to go into that sort of terrain without a low crossbar you would not emerge the same wo/man as when you went in. That's what the geometry is about. If you want aesthetics stick a periwinkle behind your ear.

redcogs

Guru
i suppose mine is ugly.. but i like, and i also enjoy giving the moronic Thorn dislikers a taste of just how dreadful they can be providing some effort is applied.:laugh:

electric bike 001.jpg
electric bike 002.jpg

OP
OP
Y

yello

Blimey, and I thought it was just me. I didn't realise there was a body of people finding them just a little bit agricultural in looks.

Top Bottom