I think Thorn cycles are ugly

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
redcogs said:
i suppose mine is ugly.. but i like, and i also enjoy giving the moronic Thorn dislikers a taste of just how dreadful they can be providing some effort is applied.:ohmy:

electric bike 001.jpg
electric bike 002.jpg

But, redders, I'd expect your bike to look like it does a proper day's work for a proper day's pay!

U

User482

simoncc said:
Well it is obvious. Thorn users are nearly all middle-aged public servants who are in the National Trust and who probably nearly bought that book called 'The History of British Cycle Lights Since 1945' that was reviewed in the CTC mag recently. They take their new Thorns up to Scotland on the back of their Volvo estate or the 4x4 and they pootle around scenic short, council signposted rides on them. Then they leave it in the garage until next year, totally forget about it or adverise it for sale as hardly used.

When I took my Thorn up to Scotland, I did so by cycling there. From Cornwall. :ohmy:

Anyway, this is a very odd thread. My Thorn is a lugged steel bike, and so looks exactly the same as many similar designs by Mercian, Bob Jackson, et al. You may or may not like such a design, but I fail to see what makes it stand out.

Tim Bennet.

Entirely Average Member
but I fail to see what makes it stand out
The very essence of the Thorn brand: they can take the same components and parts, assemble them like anyone else but still end up with a certain je ne sais quoi. That's their usp.

U

User482

Tim Bennet. said:
The very essence of the Thorn brand: they can take the same components and parts, assemble them like anyone else but still end up with a certain je ne sais quoi. That's their usp.

Well, I suppose all the stem spacers look a bit odd, but my bike is quill so I don't have those. As I say, replace the "Thorn" logos with "Bob Jackson", and I doubt there's many who would know the difference.

(Actually, a look at the Thorn website has given me a hankering for an XTC. I think it's an illness...)

Mr Phoebus

Thorns?
126F3A12-1.gif

Hmmmm, a prickly subject.

betty swollocks

large member
I've never owned a Colnago.
I do now:biggrin:

Top Bottom