If it wasn't for a helmet, I wouldn't be here right now.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

montage

God Almighty
To all those who are considering weather to wear a helmet or not...

During a sprint today (was going uphill, around 30mph), I came off the bike .... I think I came down to the right, as the right hood was bent right in and heavily damaged and due to bad bruising on my right elbow, then I, along with my bike must have flipped over to the left, where the saddle + clothing was ripped. I hit my left shoulder pretty hard, and the top of my arse (yes, my arse is now covered with road rash....).... but my head was among the first things to contact the ground.. I hit the back of my head VERY hard and skidded on it for a while - and if it wasn't for my now destroyed helmet, I am 100% sure I would be in hospital now, or worse. So I encourage people to wear their helmets, whenever. And for those who do not wish to wear helmets, at least pipe down and restrict yourselves from persuading others not to wear them. Helmets save lives. Fact.

Posting this in beginners&cafe

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
How did you manage to come off?;)
Can we have pics of the broken bike?

Oh, can this thread not turn into a mass debate over helmets, its old, mass debate over something else more interesting and new.

OP
OP
montage

montage

God Almighty
I really don't know how I came off....one minute I was on the wheel of the guy I was sprinting againsts, the other I ...well....wasn't

OP
OP
montage

montage

God Almighty
Roads were slippy due to torrential rainpour in the morning....could have been a factor. Chain may have come off...unsure

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
Montage, sorry to hear that and really glad you're ok, hope everything comes good, ie no lasting niggles and bike gets back together ok.

Doesn't change the helmet debate for me though as the big factor was:-

sprinting, on wet roads, against someone else

that's not a criticism, just something I'm not planning on doing.

OP
OP
montage

montage

God Almighty
MacBludgeon said:
Montage, sorry to hear that and really glad you're ok, hope everything comes good, ie no lasting niggles and bike gets back together ok.

Doesn't change the helmet debate for me though as the big factor was:-

sprinting, on wet roads, against someone else

that's not a criticism, just something I'm not planning on doing.

So watcha gonna do on that fast decent when you clip a pothole/ somebody else knocks into you?

I'm glad you are ok, except for gravel rash. Thats the 3rd time in as many days I've seen a helmet take the brunt of the impact, the other 2 were reg riders hitting water filled potholes so no sprint issues, not that to me that makes a difference, as I'm sure you wouldn't have sprinted if you thought it was unsafe.

My helmet stays on the bike till I want to ride it then its helmet on before I climb on, proof or not I'd rather not take the risk that I may hit my head without some extra protection.

Hope you and the bike are sorted soon, take care

OP
OP
montage

montage

God Almighty
Cheers :becool: - bike should be repaired for minimal cost (I hope anyway!) .... this road itself was fairly dry as the sun had been out for a good hour, and as it was uphill, the water all drained away. It wasn't a head down hell for leather sprint either...and there were no potholes/bumps.
Glad to know you are wearing a helmet heartattack :tongue:

Wolf04

Glad that you are mostly OK but surely this isn't a Café post. If you are going to press your opinion on whether or not to wear a helmet then perhaps Campaign would be more appropriate.

OP
OP
montage

montage

God Almighty
Wolf04 said:
Glad that you are mostly OK but surely this isn't a Café post. If you are going to press your opinion on whether or not to wear a helmet then perhaps Campaign would be more appropriate.

I put this in beginners and cafe for maximum exposure, as there is a little hope that somebody may see the photos and think "ouch...I'm going to wear a helmet now".

The photos are visable aren't they?

Wolf04

montage said:
I put this in beginners and cafe for maximum exposure, as there is a little hope that somebody may see the photos and think "ouch...I'm going to wear a helmet now".

The photos are visable aren't they?
Yes I understand why you posted here, but there have many pro & con helmet debates on these forums and just because you have an opinion doesn't make it so, hence my post. Your evidence doesn't prove anything, without reproducing the accident exactly while not wearing a helmet. As I understand it Café is for the lighter kind of post not campaigning.

gdean

montage said:
To all those who are considering weather to wear a helmet or not...

During a sprint today (was going uphill, around 30mph), I came off the bike .... I think I came down to the right, as the right hood was bent right in and heavily damaged and due to bad bruising on my right elbow, then I, along with my bike must have flipped over to the left, where the saddle + clothing was ripped. I hit my left shoulder pretty hard, and the top of my arse (yes, my arse is now covered with road rash....).... but my head was among the first things to contact the ground.. I hit the back of my head VERY hard and skidded on it for a while - and if it wasn't for my now destroyed helmet, I am 100% sure I would be in hospital now, or worse. So I encourage people to wear their helmets, whenever. And for those who do not wish to wear helmets, at least pipe down and restrict yourselves from persuading others not to wear them. Helmets save lives. Fact.

Posting this in beginners&cafe

Have you considered addressing the root cause? I'm afraid it does sound like you were cycling dangerously and could have easily injured others who may have been in the location. Perhaps you should consider some cycle training or asking the advice of experienced and safe cyclists?

OP
OP
montage

montage

God Almighty
gdean said:
Have you considered addressing the root cause? I'm afraid it does sound like you were cycling dangerously and could have easily injured others who may have been in the location. Perhaps you should consider some cycle training or asking the advice of experienced and safe cyclists?

Find something else to troll.

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
Clipped a wheel maybe? Foot came out of the pedal?
I had my foot come out when i was racing someone from some lights, a bike(ok it was a car:blush:) and my left foot unclipped. My foot then ended up on the road, then i just fell over and slid along. I wasnt doing much less speed then what you were either.
Only a scuff on my saddle, end of bar grinded away, small hole in my jacket and a little road rash on my arm. Have i learnt a lesson from this, no:thumbsup:

Top Bottom