If it wasn't for a helmet, I wouldn't be here right now.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gdean

Joe24 said:
Well yes, thats obvious, but just cming on and saying he wasnt riding safely and needs to get advice isnt that helpful is it?

No, you're quite right. I guess only Montage will know what happened - or perhaps others close by.

Night Train

Maker of Things
Glad to hear you are ok, debate aside. I don't have a helmet at the moment but have been thinking of getting one to replace the one that is hiding somewhere in my house (or the house of an ex). Your images are making me think about it more seriously.

I don't race around or compete but that doesn't mean I won't come off sometime fro some other reason. However, having also been a motorbiker, I keep looking at my motor bike hemet and thinking cycling helmets aren't up to much in comparison. Maybe something is better then nothing.

Gromit

Über Member
I got out of bed to go for a wee a couple of weeks ago, went really dizzy after getting off the loo and fainted, hitting my head. I have low blood pressure, should I ware a helmet when I'm walking around or before I get up? :becool:

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
Gromit said:
I got out of bed to go for a wee a couple of weeks ago, went really dizzy after getting off the loo and fainted, hitting my head. I have low blood pressure, should I ware a helmet when I'm walking around or before I get up? :becool:

Yes. Also elbow and knee pads, padded gloves, shin pads, steel toe caped boots, ear protection, eye protection, and any other protection that you think neccesery, to keep you safe.
You never know whats going to happen or where you could fall.

snapper_37

Barbara Woodhouse's Love Child
Crackle said:
Unfortunately Montage you won't change the mind of those who've decided helmets are useless, not even with those pictures. Glad you're OK ..................... you muppet :becool:

+ 1

I wasn't even racing (like I could anyway lol)..... a Sunday morning pootle, hit some ice, smashed the helmet on the left side (instead of my head IMO), cracked ribs, wrecked clothes, gritted knee blah blah. I will never go without.

Glad you're ok Montage.

Joe

Über Member
Did you get properly checked out? When I went over a car and cracked my helmet (not smashed like yours) I was concussed!

Incidently I still don't wear mine 100% of the time.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
With you on helmet's Montage....... I'd have been in A&E last december without one - physics of a car hitting me at 30 mph.

I have two nice helmets - both very new - Bell Sweep R and a Bell Volt.....the Volt replaced the crash damaged Pneumo.....

OP
OP
montage

montage

God Almighty
Night Train said:
Glad to hear you are ok, debate aside. I don't have a helmet at the moment but have been thinking of getting one to replace the one that is hiding somewhere in my house (or the house of an ex). Your images are making me think about it more seriously.

I don't race around or compete but that doesn't mean I won't come off sometime fro some other reason. However, having also been a motorbiker, I keep looking at my motor bike hemet and thinking cycling helmets aren't up to much in comparison. Maybe something is better then nothing.

I don't think a helmet will do much for you if you hit a lorry head on going 40mph ... but I believe they are more designed to save you when your head hits the tarmac. Though it sounds like one saved fossy from a head on collision, so maybe they are even capable of that in sme circumstances.

Night Train, your response has almost made this "pain in the arse" worthwhile..glad to see you are thinking of purchasing a helmet :becool: There are some very good looking helmets out there, so no need to look like an alien either.

Night Train

Maker of Things
montage said:
Night Train, your response has almost made this "pain in the arse" worthwhile..glad to see you are thinking of purchasing a helmet :biggrin: There are some very good looking helmets out there, so no need to look like an alien either.
Yes, I should go to a proper cycling shop and have a look at some of the decent helmets available. I have big hair at the moment for the stage so I will wait until after the show to have it cut and then do some shopping.

Renard

User3143 said:
I'm glad (in a way) that you came off at 30mph and the helmet protected your head because this lays to waste all the bullshit claims that helmets don't protect over ''a certain speed.''

Going at that speed things can happen real quickly and I'm not surprised that you have trouble remembering what happened.

Get well soon and no doubt you will be back on the bike in no time.

I got hit by a car once. I was doing about 20mph and the car was doing about 30mph. My head smashed off the windscreen and I was knocked out cold for about 5min. The helmet was a writeoff and loads of other bits of my body got broken but I lived to tell the tale.

Mr Pig

Crackle said:
Unfortunately Montage you won't change the mind of those who've decided helmets are useless

Of course not. What you fail to realise is that had you not been wearing a helmet your head would have missed the ground completely. In the fraction of a second between you instigating the action that caused you to flip over and your head reaching impact point your brain would have understood what was about to happen, formulated and implemented a plan that would've saved its squishy grey self. Possible plans include:

1: Popping out and reading a book on Kung Fu so that it could direct your body into a clever...weEEeee-Ya... roll that lands you back on your feet.

2: Popping out and reading a book on hypnosis so that it can mesmerize a convenient squirrel into committing head-cushioning suicide.

3: Popping back in time and talking your idiotic ass into buying a f****** helmet!

So you wasted your money on that helmet. Don't you feel a fool? ;0)

Globalti

Legendary Member
A few years ago I got knocked off the bike, went head over heels and tumbled across the pavement, slamming the back of my head as I went. I saw stars but got up uninjured. It wasn't until I got home and examined the helmet that I realised that the straps at the back had become embedded in the shell and it had snapped clean in half down the middle. I've no doubt that without the helmet I'd have been knocked unconscious or worse.

Top Bottom