Interim CC ride - Bikes & Boats Tendring (NE Essex)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Auntie Helen

Ich bin Powerfrau!
18th July
Probably meeting at Manningtree station at 11:00am. Apparently there are no engineering works planned for that day.

Having enjoyed so much dragging you folks up to my part of the world to sample the delights of the Station Café at Manningtree, I've for some time been plotting an additional interim ride taking in the delights of various rivers and the sea.

Rough route for the ride is here:
www.bikehike.co.uk/mapview.php?id=7877

This would include visiting Mistley, Wrabness, Harwich (not the ferry port bit), Walton-on-the-Naze, Frinton, St Osyth, Brightlingsea, Wivenhoe and then returning to Colchester Station (although going from there back to Manningtree, if anyone comes by car, is only about 6 miles). Ride length is about 62 miles; if we wanted to shorten it I'd cut out the bit to Harwich as that's less picturesque than most of the rest.

EDIT - the above is now out of date, Wowbagger and I are planning a slightly alternative route. It's likely that we'll have a chance to swim in the sea at Frinton and play rounders on the village green at Great Bentley, the largest village green in the UK. Route is likely to be shorter, maybe 40-50 miles.

ChrisKH

Guru
Ooh lovely. I haven't been to Walton on the Naze in decades. Taking other rides into account I suspect mid-July would be a better date as it is slap bang in the middle of the month and more of a gap from other rides such as the Fnrttc's and Norwich 50/100, giving plenty of prep./recovery time and permission seeking opportunities for those with families. :biggrin: Might be better attended then.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
I can't do the first weekend in July (and I suspect that holds for a few others) but, yes, I would like to join you. I could do without Brightlingsea, though - but that's personal. The seafront development gives me the pip.

Is Frinton still 'dry'?

ChrisKH

Guru
Sig SilverPrinter said:
yes please Helen
you cycling back Chris:biggrin::biggrin:

Well I do know the way now (as do you).:evil: And I have a newly acquired Tesco cree torch and helmet flashers for those extra dark Essex lane moments. :evil:

Sig SilverPrinter

ChrisKH said:
And I have a newly acquired Tesco cree torch

how good is the torch and how much?

How about the 18th July as that does not clash with Fnrttc or Dunwich and ianrauk is away w/e of the 11th

ChrisKH

Guru
Sig SilverPrinter said:
how good is the torch and how much?

How about the 18th July as that does not clash with Fnrttc or Dunwich and ianrauk is away w/e of the 11th

£12.00 but I need to get a handlebar clamp. Very bright but also quite big and not that light. It's a 3 Amp Cree Torch. Uses C batteries though (the bigger ones) and not the 3A Cree torch that everyone raves about that uses AA's. However it will fill in nicely until I decide or have a budget for a better light.

Nice cheap flashers in their bike section which fit my helmet nicely. Run on CR 2032 batteries.

ChrisKH said:
£12.00 but I need to get a handlebar clamp. Very bright but also quite big and not that light. It's a 3 Amp Cree Torch. Uses C batteries though (the bigger ones) and not the 3A Cree torch that everyone raves about that uses AA's. However it will fill in nicely until I decide or have a budget for a better light.

Nice cheap flashers in their bike section which fit my helmet nicely. Run on CR 2032 batteries.

Which you can get for 99p a pack of 8 - from Poundstretcher

ChrisKH

Guru
Auntie Helen said:
Ah, I can't find the cheap flashers in the bike section of my tescos which is very annoying as I'd like them on my mudguards etc. Perhaps I'll place an order with you :angry:

Yes, give me a shout if you still need some.

OP
OP
Auntie Helen

Auntie Helen

Ich bin Powerfrau!
dellzeqq said:
I can't do the first weekend in July (and I suspect that holds for a few others) but, yes, I would like to join you. I could do without Brightlingsea, though - but that's personal. The seafront development gives me the pip.

Is Frinton still 'dry'?
18th July appears to be the favoured date, suits User10571 too.

The buildings on Brightlingsea don't really seem to be working. The success of the marina at Sovereign Harbour, Eastbourne (where we used to have our boat) seems to have given other marinas ideas. Brightlingsea's one has the HUGE problem that local yoofs like to stand around looking down at the yachts and throwing things onto their topsides (not good security) so few yachties like the marina there now.

I'm thinking I might cut out the loop to Harwich which isn't that exciting and adds a fair bit onto the ride, although Brightlingsea also requires us to retrace our steps as there's only one real route to Brightlingsea between the various creeks. I shall think more about it nearer the time.

I have only driven through Frinton so don't know about its dryness. I imagine we'll zoom through it, being a bunch of youngsters who won't fit in!

Top Bottom