Interim CC ride - Bikes & Boats Tendring (NE Essex)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Auntie Helen

Auntie Helen

Ich bin Powerfrau!
Good stuff topcat1 :biggrin:

Some YACFers who are familiar with this part of the world have suggested getting the ferry from Point Clear (Brightlingsea, sort-of) to Mersea and then cycling up to Colchester via the not-euphoniously-named Fingringhoe. When I return from Deutschland I shall check this out, and whether they can cope with 25ish cyclists...

ChrisKH

Guru
Aaah more memories. Many a formative teenage summer spent at youth camp on Mersea Island. I remember one in particular with a visiting brass band of lovelies from Sweden. Or was it Norway. No matter. :biggrin:

Chonker

Veteran
I shall try and make it along to this one :angry:

<edit>

eek, just realised it's the day before london to southend, I'll be giving it a miss then ;)

ChrisKH

Guru
RabbitFood said:
chinker - im going to be doing the london to southend as well the next day :biggrin:

Not when you've cycled home with the Mouseketeers you won't! They use Wickford as an onward staging post for Aberdeen. :smile:

RabbitFood

dose everyone cycle home then and if so how far is that going to be extra?????

ChrisKH

Guru
RabbitFood said:
dose everyone cycle home then and if so how far is that going to be extra?????

Well, sometimes depending who is up for it. On the first North Essex ride (at least I think it was the first) the ride itself was 54 miles, ish and those who decided to ride home (some of whom had ridden from South London/Heathrow up the A12 that morning :biggrin: ) ended up doing at least 117 miles. Some probably did double that but live a long, long way away where the men have white coats and comfortable ambulances.

This ride is in the 60 mile region, so a ride home to Wickford has got to take you to a ton. Entirely voluntary and depends if anyone is going that way of course. If you're doing London to Southend the next day you might want to take the train home.

Or test yourself. :welcome:

RabbitFood

errr if im on for a ton and well that will prob be my first and out all day think ill give the London to Southend a miss, that is of course if anyone is going to be going my way home becasue ill have no idea of how to get there.

How you getting to the start Chris, riding or train?

ChrisKH

Guru
RabbitFood said:
errr if im on for a ton and well that will prob be my first and out all day think ill give the London to Southend a miss, that is of course if anyone is going to be going my way home becasue ill have no idea of how to get there.

How you getting to the start Chris, riding or train?

Hee hee hee. Nor do we. That's the beauty of it.............;)

No, straight face now, I pretty much know the way more or less and Sig ( of silver printing and cake fame ) has a seriously large map of Essex. Last time we came home via South Woodham Ferrers and the London lot went right at the A130 intersection and went via Wickford and Billericay whilst Sig and I went left towards Benfleet. I'm sure if you get that far you could make it back to Wickford.

I'll probably be taking the train from Romford to Manningtree as I did before and getting there a little bit early to enjoy their 'Full English' before everyone sets off. Whether I cycle home depends on who is up for it (not much fun on your own) and how the knees are behaving that day. I usually set out with the intention of cycling home.

OP
OP
Auntie Helen

Auntie Helen

Ich bin Powerfrau!
By the way, the ride route is being altered/enhanced with the help of Wowbagger (the chap on the last ride with the Tandem). It looks like it might now be a bit shorter (maybe nearer 40 miles than 60, but we may extend it a bit if people want more) but will include swimming in the sea at Frinton and rounders on the village green at Great Bentley.

Top Bottom