International Rugby League V Union

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Happy to be proved wrong

It may come across harsh, i dont dislike RU, more the people who led the discrimination of RL

Most people i meet who like RU dont know the history and say they like RL as a spectator sport, but they prefer their own RU which is fair enough. The working class fans seem to be more open minded than their RL cousins, but as i say that the past that leads to that

I'm not sure how people knowing the history relates to RL being a sport that people should watch now.

As I typed earlier, RU is the sport of "the working man" in the Borders.

OP
OP
david k

david k

Hi
I'm not sure how people knowing the history relates to RL being a sport that people should watch now.

As I typed earlier, RU is the sport of "the working man" in the Borders.

Just pointing out their ignorance, but not in a bad way (I hope) as why would they need to know? and as such they dont look at it with any discrimination, hence the working class fans being fair in their judgement. In some areas it is the same game originally, RL rules were identical for the first 20 years, it came down to status Pro or Am. Stockport footbal team were an original RL club!

Its later that rules changed, ive googled melrose, ill look out for them now, if i watch them ill try to talk them into playing different net rules lol

Last edited:
Here is something you might not know - the first RL World Cup was in 1954 and included 2 Scotsmen and one of them was captain (David Valentine, Hawick); and the other one is still alive and lives not too far away from me (David Rose, Jedburgh) - he was paraded onto the pitch at half-time in the Scotland v France RL game. As was Alan Tait.

OP
OP
david k

david k

Hi
Here is something you might not know - the first RL World Cup was in 1954 and included 2 Scotsmen and one of them was captain (David Valentine, Hawick); and the other one is still alive and lives not too far away from me (David Rose, Jedburgh) - he was paraded onto the pitch at half-time in the Scotland v France RL game. As was Alan Tait.
Fantastic, ill look that up - Alan Tait was some player for Widnes, thats where my Mum and grandparents are from, my Grandad was a big Offiah fan, chariots as we knew him

The French are very good at RL, they have very few numbers but still compete

Scotland have made the next 4 Nations Rugby League

OP
OP
david k

david k

Hi
That gave me a scare - Melrose play Jed next week in Border League at Jedburgh, and then away to Stirling in Premiership on 22nd
arh, must have read it wrong sorry

RU have signed the greatest ever RL player (IM very biased O) Sam Burgess

First English man to win the Curchill medal smashed his eye socket and cheekbone in the very first tackle 10 seconds in

James Graham the losing captain is a scouser!

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
No it doesnt lie purely with RL management, I did say they havent helped at times but definately not entirely their fault.

100 years of discrimination and still going

100 years of banning RL, thats a long time to be under persistent threat, so a miracle it survived all that time, thats due to how good it is, 100 years of being out-cased and still going

My view is that the main reason that RL has failed to expand outside its traditional areas in the past 100 years is because RL management have failed to generate interest at a grass-roots level in playing the game outside those areas. The only way to expand in the long-term is bottom-up, create a stable base of children playing the game in schools and clubs. RU have been enormously successful at doing this with the advent of mini-rugby. When I was a child there was nothing like this, I joined a club (having played RU at school) at U19 level. These days even the small club in my town has dozens of children playing every Sunday. These are the supporters of the future.
There was an enormous opportunity for RL to expand when it was professional and RU was amateur. The RU club organisation was poor then and RL had exciting teams like Wigan. But they failed to capitalise on this, concentrating on their "home market". FWIW I think that opportunity has passed as RU has got its act together from a marketing perspective and RL is destined to always be a minority sport played in the M62 corridor with media interest to match

OP
OP
david k

david k

Hi
My view is that the main reason that RL has failed to expand outside its traditional areas in the past 100 years is because RL management have failed to generate interest at a grass-roots level in playing the game outside those areas. The only way to expand in the long-term is bottom-up, create a stable base of children playing the game in schools and clubs. RU have been enormously successful at doing this with the advent of mini-rugby. When I was a child there was nothing like this, I joined a club (having played RU at school) at U19 level. These days even the small club in my town has dozens of children playing every Sunday. These are the supporters of the future.
There was an enormous opportunity for RL to expand when it was professional and RU was amateur. The RU club organisation was poor then and RL had exciting teams like Wigan. But they failed to capitalise on this, concentrating on their "home market". FWIW I think that opportunity has passed as RU has got its act together from a marketing perspective and RL is destined to always be a minority sport played in the M62 corridor with media interest to match

Agree with all but the last sentence.

London (or may have been the south) have employed full time RL continuity officers with great success, these are going to be dropped due to cost, massive loss, they are the people who do generate interest. They are very successful but its difficult to justify the cost when it takes years for the players to come through. There are success story's, Mason Caton Brown at Salford, Dan Sarginson at Wigan and also played for England in the 4 Nations, LMS at St Helens is from London.

RFL need to invest more into the community officers and the players will come through. I suppose we get and have so much success in Lancashire and Yorkshire maybe they dont see the need? They are desperate not to be known as a northern game so London is important to RL as a status thing

I disagree that RL is a minority sport, 300k registered players, large TV audiences and competitive crowds, very successful World Cup (relatively speaking) and is now in good form financially with a long TV deal from SKY is far more than a minority sport like lacrosse as you claim

Ian A

Über Member
International RU is a poor advert for the sport compared to the domestic game. I enjoy both as a spectator but Rugby League will always be my favourite.

Just watching the final again, if anyone can say they enjoy RU matches today more than the RL i just wouldnt trust them

This is a matter of personal taste.

The French are very good at RL, they have very few numbers but still compete

I'm sure this has probably been mentioned before but Rugby League in France has an interesting history. Another reason why sport and politics don't mix. The RU game and those associated with it cannot be associated with this in any way as it was the actions of a few a very long time ago. If things hadn't worked out as they did I can't help wondering if a more dominant league game in France would have helped the game in this country with well publicised international matches to help promote the sport.

Last edited:

brand

Just watched the final of the RL 4 Nations, the whole tournament has been amazing. The strength, skills, rugby on show has been nothing short of fantastic. The BIG HITs are enough to watch it alone.

I find Rugby Union boring, kick, kick, kick, scrum, kick, mall, kick etc etc.

So why does everyone watch RU?

The diversion between the games is such a fantastic read due to social history, schisms and in France just pure illegal !

Highlights are on at 1pm on BBC1 - I would watch it if you like sport
The other way round for me. Rugby league is boring as hell. Tackle pass the ball behind you till you have run out of tackles then kick. Union is about tactics. More importantly there is place for everyone no matter what your body shape/size. I am biased I player rugby till I was 54 and only stopped because of illness. I so miss it, quiet depressing thinking about it.

brand

Genuine question: have you been to a game of Union? I may be reading too much into your post but I'm assuming you're subscribing to the stereotype that it's just a bunch of posh lads watching their chums. It isn't.

If I've read you wrong I apologise.
The majority of rugby union clubs have very mixed class of players. Working class all the way up to upper class at the small clubs. The scoff afterwards is the only variable the Italians put on the best spread but a long way to go for a great meal!

OP
OP
david k

david k

Hi
International RU is a poor advert for the sport compared to the domestic game. I enjoy both as a spectator but Rugby League will always be my favourite.

This is a matter of personal taste.

I'm sure this has probably been mentioned before but Rugby League in France has an interesting history. Another reason why sport and politics don't mix. The RU game and those associated with it cannot be associated with this in any way as it was the actions of a few a very long time ago. If things hadn't worked out as they did I can't help wondering if a more dominant league game in France would have helped the game in this country with well publicised international matches to help promote the sport.

Yes it's a matter of taste, I just cannot believe anyone's taste would favour RU!
Yes the history of French RU is incredible. I'm sure it would have helped RL in this country, there were more RL clubs in France than RL before the invading forces. Not sure I entirely agree with lack of responsibility of current RU, I don't think they can simply wash over the past, whether it was many or few it had a direct affect and was a shameful history IMO. Also in this country, banning players for 100 years is mind boggling, I'm sure they wouldn't get away wit now if they tried, surely if someone contested it in court of rights it wouldn't be upheld?

OP
OP
david k

david k

Hi
The other way round for me. Rugby league is boring as hell. Tackle pass the ball behind you till you have run out of tackles then kick. Union is about tactics. More importantly there is place for everyone no matter what your body shape/size. I am biased I player rugby till I was 54 and only stopped because of illness. I so miss it, quiet depressing thinking about it.
Fair enough, just cannot see your point of view though, I'm trying, really trying lol

I played both but mainly league, never understood the rules of RU lol

Top Bottom