International Rugby League V Union

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Union is chess, soccer is draughts and League is more chess than draughts without being the same as either. At elite level RL can be a better spectacle imo, and the four nations final was an amazing game. So good I watched it twice.

League isn't better. Union isn't worse. Just different tis all.

Cubist

Still wavin'
I coach a union team, Under 17s. My lad plays both codes, a big direct running forward in RL, pure cannon fodder. A loose head prop or hooker in RU, he enjoys both but much prefers the physical battle RU involves. As he points out, in RL, when his mate is tackled he has to run backwards, whereas in RU it's his job to go and clear out the rucks etc.

Our RU team has just takes on five or six players from a local RL team that doesn't stretch to an u17s team. Initially like rabbits in the headlights, unsure of the laws, especially around the breakdown every single one of them is loving the switch.

Involved in RU since I was tiny, playing at school, then uni, then a local club until injury forced me off the pitch, you really need to understand the game to enjoy watching it. I like both, but much prefer RU.

By the way, if you think RU fans are all toffs, go to Franklin Gardens or Kingsholm Park and reevaluate your prejudice.

Keith Oates

Janner
I've never played RL but I do watch it when it's on the TV but without doubt my favourite is RU. I was brought up with it from a school boy and still enjoy watching it although I don't like some of the 'new' rules both in the scrum and the line outs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ian A

Über Member
Not sure I entirely agree with lack of responsibility of current RU, I don't think they can simply wash over the past, whether it was many or few it had a direct affect and was a shameful history IMO. Also in this country, banning players for 100 years is mind boggling

They could do more to acknowledge it but let's leave it in the past. The current decision makers or players in French RU played no part in it. The banning of players going back to union if they tried league always irked me. Running has had similar issues (and double standards with regards to earnings) but they could be undone by a lengthy but doable process.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
I've never played RL but I do watch it when it's on the TV but without doubt my favourite is RU. I was brought up with it from a school boy and still enjoy watching it although I don't like some of the 'new' rules both in the scrum and the line outs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think you'll find that most of these rule changes were implemented with the objective of RL-ifying RU. At an elite level, the scrums and lineouts are largely uncontested ways to restart the game. Doing so puts less emphasis on scrummaging, for example, and thus more on ball handling. You only have to look at how a prop's role in the RU game has changed to see that.

I do wonder if the RU will eventually grasp the nettle of 15 players being too many per side at elite level. I suspect not as they have at least been successful in making rule changes to improve game continuity

OP
OP
david k

david k

Hi
I don't think they will ever go to 13 players as this would be like admitting RL got it right all those years ago

In France they were forced to call it the 13 code, not being allowed to use the term rugby

There has been a large influence from RL least of all using league coaches. RU has changed in the last 10 years and I suspect this shuttle change will continue ue until scrubs etc are as you say more or less uncontested

OP
OP
david k

david k

Hi
I coach a union team, Under 17s. My lad plays both codes, a big direct running forward in RL, pure cannon fodder. A loose head prop or hooker in RU, he enjoys both but much prefers the physical battle RU involves. As he points out, in RL, when his mate is tackled he has to run backwards, whereas in RU it's his job to go and clear out the rucks etc.

Our RU team has just takes on five or six players from a local RL team that doesn't stretch to an u17s team. Initially like rabbits in the headlights, unsure of the laws, especially around the breakdown every single one of them is loving the switch.

Involved in RU since I was tiny, playing at school, then uni, then a local club until injury forced me off the pitch, you really need to understand the game to enjoy watching it. I like both, but much prefer RU.

By the way, if you think RU fans are all toffs, go to Franklin Gardens or Kingsholm Park and reevaluate your prejudice.
I'm glad your son is enjoying playing, it's i portent, I'm sure playing either code will help him grow up with a great experience and good ethics

I think the continual reference to toffs and RU is a slight from RL as its historically very class based, the split was pretty much based on class with professionals. used as the reason. That history lives on in the minds of RL, and at some levels is still live and well, at grass roots IME everyone gets on well, has mutual respect with some friendly ribbing of each other, all healthy.

My lad plays both at school but RL for a team, being in RL country all the lads hate playing RU, the school say they won't be selected for RL unless they play RU which I totally disagree with.

OP
OP
david k

david k

Hi
Union is chess, soccer is draughts and League is more chess than draughts without being the same as either. At elite level RL can be a better spectacle imo, and the four nations final was an amazing game. So good I watched it twice.

League isn't better. Union isn't worse. Just different tis all.
Would be great to take it to a larger audience, maybe one day

Ian A

Über Member
I do wonder if the RU will eventually grasp the nettle of 15 players being too many per side at elite level. I suspect not as they have at least been successful in making rule changes to improve game continuity

I've seen this discussion in so many places. With the professional game the big men at the front are a lot fitter and faster and the fast men at the back are a lot bigger and stronger which can scupper the running game with so many men on the pitch. Either way looking at the demand for tickets int he world cup and the global tv audiences it's fair to say the popularity of the game isn't suffering!

OP
OP
david k

david k

Hi
I've seen this discussion in so many places. With the professional game the big men at the front are a lot fitter and faster and the fast men at the back are a lot bigger and stronger which can scupper the running game with so many men on the pitch. Either way looking at the demand for tickets int he world cup and the global tv audiences it's fair to say the popularity of the game isn't suffering!
International RU is massive, always has been, I think it's more the sense of occasion and the passion that is the attraction more than the technicality a of the sport. If a game of tiddlywinks had that much riding on it the Welsh would turn up in their 1,0000s to watch them take on the old enemy

Ian A

Über Member
I don't think they will ever go to 13 players as this would be like admitting RL got it right all those years ago

In France they were forced to call it the 13 code, not being allowed to use the term rugby

There has been a large influence from RL least of all using league coaches. RU has changed in the last 10 years and I suspect this shuttle change will continue ue until scrubs etc are as you say more or less uncontested
There was talk of a Sky funded hybrid game many years ago. Remember when the ARL/Super league split happened n Australia (you could call this rugby league's shameful past) and players in the UK were getting loyalty payments not go over to either to boost player numbers. The RFL here went with the Sky offer but there was a lot of unfounded rumour/suspicion (and that's all it was) that the Sky master plan was to make a super duper league of hybrid rugby with 14 players and taking rules from each. It would never happen as both camps would be unhappy with that one!

OP
OP
david k

david k

Hi
There was talk of a Sky funded hybrid game many years ago. Remember when the ARL/Super league split happened n Australia (you could call this rugby league's shameful past) and players in the UK were getting loyalty payments not go over to either to boost player numbers. The RFL here went with the Sky offer but there was a lot of unfounded rumour/suspicion (and that's all it was) that the Sky master plan was to make a super duper league of hybrid rugby with 14 players and taking rules from each. It would never happen as both camps would be unhappy with that one!
Yes I remeber, but both here and in Aus they sorted it quickly, they didn't. Continue a snub for 100 years, so not really in the league shame wise

I don't think either code would wNt a hybrid, too much history and pride

The changes made in SL has revistlised RL, switch to summer rugby was the best decision since dropping two players, the only other one I would have liked to see was the mergers, or preferably called creating regions, Cheshire etc.

Top Bottom