Is SC&P worth it?

Is it worth it

• yes

• no

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
If I might be allowed ( okay, okay, it was a bleedin' joke!) to say summink, the reason I post so rarely in SCPC&L is that I have no interest in persuading strangers to my point of view. Learning and educating are commendable aims but it's really a bun fight for those who enjoy bun fights.
I have no problem with that and not going there is as easy as posting bollix in the beer thread.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
[QUOTE 4489841, member: 9609"]I really have upset some with that post[/QUOTE]

On the contrary, I believe my sides have actually split with all the lulz.

Seriously, my post was merely pointing out that what seems like hilarious light-hearted 'bantz' to some comes across as belittling to others. But in a light-hearted café-style way with just a waffer-thin slice of irony...

OP
OP
jonny jeez

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
On the contrary, I believe my sides have actually split with all the lulz.

Seriously, my post was merely pointing out that what seems like hilarious light-hearted 'bantz' to some comes across as belittling to others. But in a light-hearted café-style way with just a waffer-thin slice of irony...
That's a fair point.

Is now a good time to point out the parallel with SC&P in that what seems like fair game to the "initiated" (or worse those who feel they have intellectual superiority) feels like massive condescension and insult to the new, who turn away pretty quick smart.

Wobblers

Euthermic
It's odd - we get people saying that SC&P is filled with rude, ignorant, insulting or just plain nasty posts. Then we get this:

[QUOTE 4489710, member: 9609"]I think this best sums up SCP, they go riding about in the dark, presumably less risk in having your viewpoint challenged - no wonder they don't see the problem with wind farms - LOL[/QUOTE]

Which is just as nasty. You could made the effort to join one. I did. I found the people on the FNRttC rides the most welcoming and friendly bunch of I've ever had the pleasure of meeting. Most of them don't post on SC&P. In fact, many of them aren't even on CC. But instead you chose to make nasty little comments - and pretend that it's all a joke. LOL.

It just goes to show, nasiness certainly isn't limited to SC&P. Not by a long way.

OP
OP
jonny jeez

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
This is a point you make over and over again in your complaints about SC&P. I'm curious as to where it comes from.
Seriously, you want to go there?

well, in this single thread we have
I think @jonny jeez tries too hard to flex his intellectual muscle both in threads and picking fights within threads in SC&P. Sorry that's how it comes across to me and often it looks like a bit of a failure.

I only ever view the forum as new posts and have found myself by accident in the middle of a whole thread full of people flexing their intellectual muscles or just plain being arses. Entertaining from the outside but it looks bloody stressful for some of the participants.
In which I cant really see any point being made

and then another from you with

I realise the whole thing was a bit subtle for you.

Are you parading this person as being "one of the wisest, oldest heads", who is all that is good and great in SC&P?
If so, I presume it's the one in the blue hat, whoever he is!
You have @Fab Foodie and @User there. Not sure they're the oldest though. @User14044 may be a smidge older :smile:

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
upload_2016-9-29_20-37-57.png

Andrew_P

In between here and there
Seriously, you want to go there?

well, in this single thread we have

In which I cant really see any point being made

and then another from you with
My point was and remains that you appear to have chosen your targets based on how you feel their intelligence is vs your own and then want to get in to some sort of verbal intellectual (for want of a better word) challenge with them. This is from a spectator, and appears to be only a fairly recent thing. Or I have never seen it before the last few months

Wobblers

Euthermic
I saw that post the other day. I was tempted to respond by putting forward arguments in favour of rehabilitation and the parole system being a way to control released offenders and incentivise them to reform, but then I thought the post was so extreme, it must be a wind up - one that came to mind when I referred to those of the right winding up those from the left earlier. As usual, therefore, I remained a passive lurker.

It's a shame you didn't. You're just as entitled to put your opinions forward. And even if RoubaixCube was trolling, there's every reason to put forward well reasoned counter-arguments, not least as some people do use such arguments to advocate execution. Yes, you could expect your opinions to come under scrutiny. But, you know what? You'll also find there's plenty of support too.

This is where I have to disagree with @jonny jeez. It can certainly seem - and is, at least in part - that SC&P is just the same people rehashing the same arguments round and round again. But fostering this them and us attitude, which the whole thread is doing (no matter how unintentional that may be on the part of JJ) is no solution. There is no them and us. Everyone has opinions. And everyone will defend them - vociferously. There's no shortage of full on arguments - complete with insults! - dotted around the rest of the forum. SC&P isn't some special nest of vipers, but painting it so merely serves to scare people - all of whom have equally valid ideas - away. It becomes a self fulfilling prophecy.

OP
OP
jonny jeez

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
The second response wasn't to you. I just wondered why you feel inadequate when faced with SC&P, and wish to tone it down. I'm obviously not alone in that.
Why does it have to be to me?

Nice try by the way. I'm feeling perfectly adequate thanks.

I am obviously not alone in understanding that SC&P is not attractive to many and appealing to very few.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom