Is someone at Google having a laugh?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

TVC

How many people does it take to circumcise a whale?

Four skin divers.
Why do scuba divers always roll backwards out of the boat?
Because if they rolled forward they would still be in the boat.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
I don't find it funny, but rather insulting and totally contrary to real history.
Well, you wouldn't find it funny :laugh:
Sorry :giggle:
I would not have found it funny, actually not even understood it was a joke, if I was a foreigner to the UK. I mean, I am a foreigner, what I mean is I have lived here a long time, if I hadn't I would probably not have known the meaning ... :wacko:
What I'm trying to say is: does Google respond thus to the question only if the requesting IP is from the UK? Surely the joke would be lost on somebody from, say, Japan?

winjim

Smash the cistern
Well, you wouldn't find it funny :laugh:
Sorry :giggle:
I would not have found it funny, actually not even understood it was a joke, if I was a foreigner to the UK. I mean, I am a foreigner, what I mean is I have lived here a long time, if I hadn't I would probably not have known the meaning ... :wacko:
What I'm trying to say is: does Google respond thus to the question only if the requesting IP is from the UK? Surely the joke would be lost on somebody from, say, Japan?
That one's a Google bomb rather than an actual Google easter egg. Someone made a lookalike site that appears when you hit "I'm feeling lucky". It's quite old now so might not work any more.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
Let me clarify my views. When the French army was defeated in ww2, many Frenchmen and women join the resistance to carry on fighting the occupant. My father was one of them. He was proud of his country and never accepted the occupation. As a resistant, he was caught by the Gestapo and never said what they did to him but obviously , he survived. So when I hear idiots making jokes about the French during the war, my blood boils and I need to say my bit, if only in memory of my father who never capitulated. I hope the people on here understand.

PpPete

Legendary Member
Gavroche... no british person denies the heroism of the resistance in the occupied territories, but equally there is no power on this earth that will prevent a british person laughing at a puerile joke, especially if it is at the expense of a racial sterotype. Did I tell you the one about the Irish/Begian/Pole/OrangeFreeStater/Newfie..... ?

snorri

Legendary Member
So when I hear idiots making jokes about the French during the war, my blood boils and I need to say my bit,.
I feel the same when I hear idiots referring to the Allied Forces at Dunkirk as "the English":sad:.

winjim

Smash the cistern
A chap named Guillaume the bastard saw to it that there would always be rivalry between the English and the French. We've been traditional enemies right up to very recent times. The military defeats thing refers to Waterloo and Agincourt more than the second world war imo.

I seem to remember QI adding up all the French military defeats and victories, and concluding that their reputation for cowardice and defeat was somewhat undeserved.

gavroche

Winjim, to add to your post, I would like to add that France had more victories in Europe than any other nations. I am not a war monger but simply referring to history, when wars were a way of life.

gavroche

I feel the same when I hear idiots referring to the Allied Forces at Dunkirk as "the English":sad:.
Now you know how I feel. My remark proved a point although I admit I was partially wrong about the nationalities of the armies involved.

winjim

Smash the cistern
Winjim, to add to your post, I would like to add that France had more victories in Europe than any other nations. I am not a war monger but simply referring to history, when wars were a way of life.
Let's not forget though, that the English would have taken France, had Henry V not died of the squits.

Top Bottom