Leeds Ride, 6 or 7 March

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

colly

Re member eR
Thanks Will for sorting this one out. :biggrin: Blinding route too!

Even though the weather wasn't as good as it promised it was still a great day. Will have to organise something similar when we can be more certain of some sunshine.

How you made it up Storiths and Langbar on a fixed Longers I have no idea.:biggrin:
No wonder you are getting stuck into the grub.

Good day out with good company!:biggrin::biggrin:

344a168.jpg

OP
OP
B

Bokonon

Über Member
All I did was start this thread! Andy and Colin did the route planning and the rest kind of just fell together.

Maybe mid to late April for the next one? Hopefully we will be having better (or at least warmer) weather by then.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Thanks guys!

I've put the exact route that we did on Bikely. It was about 82 km (51 miles).

I definitely preferred the Chevin to that extra A-road section at the start of the original route and the gentle climb rather than the steeper one planned from Burley.

I also preferred that little climb up to Bramhope near the end of the ride. For some reason, I didn't spot that one when I plotted the route.

Despite Will's warning about the cattle grid coming off the Cow and Calf towards Ilkley, I didn't spot it until the last moment so I didn't really have time to brake. I've just checked my tracklog and I hit it at 75 kph (47 mph)! That could have been messy... :biggrin:

colly

Re member eR
Longers, I found that odd viaduct on Google Earth .

Peculiar thing just seems to be there to bridge a bit of a dip in the landscape. There is a track going round the dip too.
4j45k4.jpg
:biggrin::wacko:

ColinJ

Here are a couple of my photographs. (Despite the potential for scenic snaps, I didn't take many because of the low cloud and drizzle.)

murky-wharfedale-wide.jpg

View of murky Wharfedale

cyclechatters-06mar2010.jpg

6 CycleChatters. L-R: colly, ColinJ, Bokonon, longers, andyfromotley, zacklaws

longers

Legendary Member
colly said:
Peculiar thing just seems to be there to bridge a bit of a dip in the landscape. There is a track going round the dip too.
4j45k4.jpg
:biggrin::wacko:

Good thinking Colly, I've had a peek at Google Earth just now and it doesn't seem to match up to any of the tracks in the vicinity. I wonder if it's a folly?

zacklaws

Guru
Excellent day out and good company too so thanks to all, for some unknown reason I was tired when I got home, maybe the early start and all the riding during the week caught up with me, so I was in bed for 2100. Still marvelling at Longers fixed wheel epics, how to pause on a steep hill, look at the scenery and then carry on again as if there is no hill there, beats me?

Really impressed with the route, it took into account the rain that was forecast and took us into the clouds and probably above them so we was above the rain and kept dry. Very ingenious.

As I predicted about what would happen when I tried to change my clothes in my car, the moment Colly drove off, two weirdo's pulled up next to me and they just sat their looking at me before driving off about 10 minutes later. I got the feeling they may have seen me load my bike into the car and was hoping that I would leave my car, despite busting to go to the toilet, I sat it out. Funniest bit was they drove over something in the carpark that went with a loud "pop" which stopped them in their tracks and they just sat looking at each other in bewilderment. All it was was a crisp packet or something similar.

Colinj, remember to post the link for "Spring into the Dales, as I cannot find anything, off top off my head my leave starts 11th April, Sunday, otherwise I am tied up working the weekends in April prior to that.

longers

Legendary Member
Zack - here's a bit of info on Spring into the Dales. 18th April it seems, I'll let Colin start the thread in the appropriate section

I don't know how I got up them hills either :ohmy:
My knees are giving me some fairly strong hints today but they feel better than I thought they would. Steadily building up to them has worked I guess.

ColinJ

longers said:
Zack - here's a bit of info on Spring into the Dales. 18th April it seems, I'll let Colin start the thread in the appropriate section

I don't know how I got up them hills either :ohmy:
My knees are giving me some fairly strong hints today but they feel better than I thought they would. Steadily building up to them has worked I guess.
Like Zack, I was also mightily impressed by your cadence of 0-30 rpm on hills up to 25%, and the 180+ rpm on fast downhills. I did wonder about the wear and tear on your body though. As I mentioned on the train - even riding the 39/29 bottom gear on my Cannondale on steep hills gives my hips some serious gyp so I definitely wouldn't fancy trying to emulate you. My plan of attack would be to do what that skinny little rider did at the top of Langbar - sprint up in a low gear, spinning away like Armstrong on Whizz. Later in the year perhaps?

Info on SITD also to be found in the audax calendar, on this page.

It is worth looking through the calendar for other local audax events in the coming months but I think they restrict you to 3 months ahead unless you are a member.

It is well worth joining Audax UK - members are sent a handbook and 4 glossy Arrivée magazines a year, and get 3rd party insurance which would otherwise have to be paid for on a per event basis for non-members. It is currently £19 for year 1 and £14 for annual renewals.

I've just spotted that members of 5+ years standing and over 65 automatically become life members and can just opt to pay £6/yr for the mags.

I was going to wait a while before doing the SITD thread but thinking about it, people get booked up way in advance so perhaps now would be a good time. Here you go - SITD 2010.

Zack, take a look at my Deda Dog Fang review to see if one might help you.

Andy (fromotley!) - remember to take a look at my Crud Roadracer Mudguard review to see if you can avoid getting that black stripe down your back again! (PS - I've just noticed that the company I mentioned are out of stock and have put the price up!)

Moodyman

Legendary Member
Really disappointed that I couldn't join you guys yesterday. Looks like you had a great ride.

I'll definitely monitor the informal rides section of CC for the next one.

andyfromotley

Great ride, great company. sorry for those who suffered for my lack of mudguards. In my defence i do very little riding in groups, and getting kit dirty doesn't bother me.

I sort of rode myself into it a bit as the day went on, asthma a bit at the beginning, but much better later. was nice to do some parts i havent done for a while and was a lovely relaxed atmosphere.

Like everyone i am astounded by longers cycling ability...... chapeau.

i will look forward to getting out together again, there is some more good riding to be had out towards Memwith hill.

thanks will.

colly

Re member eR
andyfromotley said:
Great ride, great company. sorry for those who suffered for my lack of mudguards. In my defence i do very little riding in groups, and getting kit dirty doesn't bother me.

I sort of rode myself into it a bit as the day went on, asthma a bit at the beginning, but much better later. was nice to do some parts i havent done for a while and was a lovely relaxed atmosphere.

Like everyone i am astounded by longers cycling ability...... chapeau.

i will look forward to getting out together again, there is some more good riding to be had out towards Memwith hill.

thanks will.

There certainly is ! ;)

A run up through Farnley and Menwith Hill to Pateley Bridge and back via Grassington and Burnsall would be something to consider for the next outing.

I'm sure you will know the better roads around there Andy.

ColinJ

postman said:
How big is that bike between Andy and Zacklaws .It looks a whopper .
That's my Basso that Zack was holding for me while I set up the camera timer. It isn't that big - a 58 cm top tube. I'm moderately tall - 6'1" - but again, not that tall by modern standards. I was considered tall as a teenager but the next couple of generations have caught up and overtaken me!

What might be making the bike look bigger is the Crud Roadracer mudguards which make the wheels look chunky in that picture.

Top Bottom