Leeds Ride, 6 or 7 March

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
B

Bokonon

Über Member
That's not good. Hope you recover soon. Maybe see you on the next one, then?

zacklaws

Guru
Have we got any detailed timings yet to meet, my problem is I need to make my plans as soon as possible as I have to bring my partner through to Leeds that morning as her sister is very ill, and then I do not know whether to bike from her Sisters if I have time or carry on and park up with everyone else at the car park. So I need to formulate a good plan. Is it quicker round the NE side of the ring road by car or bike with no RLJing from Seacroft? My experience of that area by car is it is very slow, but there again I may have always caught rush hour.

Apologies if the timings have been posted earlier in the thread but I've just done a long ride in the Wolds and I'm too shattered to be searching around and just want to go to bed to recover.

colly

Re member eR
zacklaws said:
Have we got any detailed timings yet to meet, my problem is I need to make my plans as soon as possible as I have to bring my partner through to Leeds that morning as her sister is very ill, and then I do not know whether to bike from her Sisters if I have time or carry on and park up with everyone else at the car park. So I need to formulate a good plan. Is it quicker round the NE side of the ring road by car or bike with no RLJing from Seacroft? My experience of that area by car is it is very slow, but there again I may have always caught rush hour.

Apologies if the timings have been posted earlier in the thread but I've just done a long ride in the Wolds and I'm too shattered to be searching around and just want to go to bed to recover.

What time will you be arriving in Leeds ?

I don't live a million miles from Seacroft but as things stand right now I am picking up CoilnJ and Longers at the station around 9. I only have two passenger seats in the van although I have room for lots of bikes.

I'd say from Seacroft to Golden Acre Park is about 10 miles. Quite an easy 10 miles but if you don't know the roads it isn't an obvious route.

(unless you use the Ring Roadxx()

It wouldn't be a problem in a car though.

zacklaws

Guru
If your picking up at the station around 0900, then I will get into Leeds myself just a bit sooner than that, time to say, "Hello" and leg it up to the car park to meet up.

Not looked at the route from Seacroft to the car park but did not realise its 10 miles, only thought it was about 5 at the most. If I remember too its uphill as well if I do bike it.

Just done a quick route on mapsource and made it just over 7 miles, but also just remembered my partners sister does not live at Seacroft but at Crossgates and that is about 10 miles

longers

Legendary Member
^ that'll do.

A lift would still be great Colly. I think I've got to be up at half five to porridge and get to Rochdale for the train so I'll let Colin know if I fail, but I am looking forward to this.

Sorry you can't make it Shippers, are you mobile yet?

How far is the cafe stop round the route please, just so I know when I can start thinking about food?

shippers

Evening chaps.

I'm signed off work for the week, but my walking about skills aren't too shockilgly impaired. Had the bike formally written off today by EBC- I don't reckon I'll be up to getting on one again for maybe a couple of weeks. (Lot of bruising in the trousers area. 16 stone bloke hitting the stem at about 20mpg...)

Anyway, I'm looking at maybe an Allez sport or the secteur sport- possibly an allez elite. (NOTE- there's an EBC opening in sheffield, and you can register for a 15% off voucher...)

Weather looks good for you at least. Regards the ring road- it's a bit lumpy- not the nicest pootle round you could imagine. You'd be better getting the good lady to give you a lift to the start point, or at least getting you Lawnswood Roundabout (junction ringroad and A65.)

Right, have fun chaps. Last one back would still have beaten me.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
longers said:
A lift would still be great Colly. I think I've got to be up at half five to porridge and get to Rochdale for the train so I'll let Colin know if I fail, but I am looking forward to this.
Yes, thanks colly. 52 hilly miles will be enough for me and I especially wouldn't fancy that long drag out of the city centre in traffic to start with.

I'll be having my porridge at about 06:00!

longers said:
Sorry you can't make it Shippers...
+1

I hope that you make a speedy recovery from your injuries.

longers said:
How far is the cafe stop round the route please, just so I know when I can start thinking about food?
If we ride out to Burnsall first and then call in at Cavendish Pavilion on the way back on that nice lane from Appletreewick, that would be after 30 miles. I don't know if that was what Will had in mind but that would suit me. I prefer cafe stops after the halfway point because it makes the ride back shorter.

OP
OP
B

Bokonon

Über Member
Either that or do the loop from Beamsley in the other direction - Storiths, Appletreewick, Burnsall - which should be a bit more than 30 miles, but then gives several options for cake stops around Bolton Abbey.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Bokonon said:
Either that or do the loop from Beamsley in the other direction - Storiths, Appletreewick, Burnsall - which should be a bit more than 30 miles, but then gives several options for cake stops around Bolton Abbey.
I can think of 2 reasons why I'd prefer not to do it that way round!
  • I like Storiths as a testing little climb, but we'd be descending it.
  • It would mean a slow 1.2 km climb on the busy A59 rather than a fast 1.2 km descent!
What's Cavendish Pavilion like? It looked okay when I passed it on Spring Into the Dales. We could always nip back across to Bolton Abbey from the Pavilion if you prefer the cafes there, but then we'd miss out Storiths.

OP
OP
B

Bokonon

Über Member
Never been to Cavendish Pavilion so I have no idea! From the A59 it is not far back into Bolton Bridge, and the cafe there was pretty decent last time I went there (though that was some years ago!)

OP
OP
B

Bokonon

Über Member
Can I have a final show of hands for who is coming so we know who to wait for at the start (9:30 Saturday morning at Golden Acre Park car park)?

PM me if you feel the need to exchange mobile numbers.

Thanks

Top Bottom