Leeds Ride, 6 or 7 March

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
B

Bokonon

Über Member
andyfromotley said:
with respect to Bokonon, it will be something similar to this.

http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/390751

The big hill at 34 is Langbar which as pointed out is easily circumvented for those who want an easier ride.

The station is about 7 miles of easy riding from the start finish.

That's not bad, that! Saves me doing any route planning now, unless anyone has any objections to using this route?

Cafe stop at Bolton Bridge or Bolton Abbey, unless Back-O-The-Hill is still going (never been in there - the one time I tried some years ago it was closed.)

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Hey Andy - did you record that route on your GPS? I can see where you went all the way round a roundabout on the A660 and also where you made a little detour up the A59 to Hazlewood.

Hmm - I really like the look of 2/3 of that route but there is about 25 km up and down the A660/A65 which doesn't seem very appealing. At least on the way out to Otley a big chunk of it is downhill but I honestly don't fancy a 16 km stretch of busy A-road on the way back especially where it is +3.5% for 3 km towards the end.

How about this alternative - Ben Rhydding, Burley-in-Wharefdale, Burley Woodhead, Menston, The Chevin, Bramhope Moor, Holt Park, Golden Acre Park? It does add a bit more climbing but that then rewards us with a really nice 10 km downhill at the end of the ride, most of it away from traffic.

Here it is on Bikely.

zacklaws

Guru
I've had some leave to take at work so I have took the weekend off, so all being well, I'll join you on the ride.

Where we going?

Only joking, I'm at work now so will check the previous messages when I get home tonight to see what treats there is in store.

OP
OP
B

Bokonon

Über Member
ColinJ said:
Hmm - I really like the look of 2/3 of that route but there is about 25 km up and down the A660/A65 which doesn't seem very appealing. At least on the way out to Otley a big chunk of it is downhill but I honestly don't fancy a 16 km stretch of busy A-road on the way back especially where it is +3.5% for 3 km towards the end.[/URL].

The A660/A65 bits of this route really aren't all that bad, though I would consider using it as the 'out' part of the ride so we are doing a left hand turn toward off the A660 toward Burley, and then use the back road to Otley on the return, perhaps turning off to Pool and coming back to Golden Acre on the road from Arthington.

With your proposed avoiding loop, we could take Moor Road out of Ilkley for a nice trip over Cow and Calf ;).

Moodyman

Legendary Member
I guess it all depends on the times that we set off.

Even the busy roads will be quiet if we set off early - as in before 9.

shippers

I did a 34-er today without too much stress, so I reckon I'll only regret not giving this a go, so barring an outbreak of common sense, or thick snow, count me in.

Do we have a decision on departure time? Early is good for me, but I know some of you chaps are getting the train etc.

ColinJ

Bokonon said:
The A660/A65 bits of this route really aren't all that bad, though I would consider using it as the 'out' part of the ride so we are doing a left hand turn toward off the A660 toward Burley, and then use the back road to Otley on the return, perhaps turning off to Pool and coming back to Golden Acre on the road from Arthington.

With your proposed avoiding loop, we could take Moor Road out of Ilkley for a nice trip over Cow and Calf :tongue:.
Ooh, I'm a bit confused now! Do you mean out on A660, left for Burley, climb up over the railway line to the moor, down the Cow and Calf to Ilkley, cross the A65 then the Wharfe and then left to follow the original route by the river to Beamsley? B6160 out to Burnsall as planned, back via Appletreewick, Storiths, Beamsley, Langbar, Middleton, Askwith, Otley, Otley Plantation, Pool, A659, Arthington, Blackhill, A660, Golden Acre Park? If that's it, I'll plot it on Bikely, unless I'm wrong and you'd like to clarify or plot it yourself! :biggrin:

Moodyman said:
I guess it all depends on the times that we set off.

Even the busy roads will be quiet if we set off early - as in before 9.
I don't fancy it that early - I'd have to setting off at about 07:00 which would imply me getting up by 06:00. I'm more of an owl than a lark! :angry:

shippers said:
Do we have a decision on departure time? Early is good for me, but I know some of you chaps are getting the train etc.
I've just checked the trains from Hebden Bridge - there is one leaving at 08:00 which would get me into Leeds at 08:56, so all being well I could be out at the pick-up point by 09:05 and therefore up at the park by about 09:20 if the kind offer of a lift still stands. That would be good for an 09:30 start. Would that be okay folks?

OP
OP
B

Bokonon

Über Member
ColinJ said:
Ooh, I'm a bit confused now! Do you mean out on A660, left for Burley, climb up over the railway line to the moor, down the Cow and Calf to Ilkley, cross the A65 then the Wharfe and then left to follow the original route by the river to Beamsley? B6160 out to Burnsall as planned, back via Appletreewick, Storiths, Beamsley, Langbar, Middleton, Askwith, Otley, Otley Plantation, Pool, A659, Arthington, Blackhill, A660, Golden Acre Park? If that's it, I'll plot it on Bikely, unless I'm wrong and you'd like to clarify or plot it yourself!

Yes, that's pretty much it. I should have typed out to Ilkley not out of Ilkley. I thought I did quite a good job considering I wasn't long out of the pub when I typed it :ohmy:.

I've just checked the trains from Hebden Bridge - there is one leaving at 08:00 which would get me into Leeds at 08:56, so all being well I could be out at the pick-up point by 09:05 and therefore up at the park by about 09:20 if the kind offer of a lift still stands. That would be good for an 09:30 start. Would that be okay folks?

I'm guessing Longers would be joining you on the same train if he comes in by rail. If you get a lift from the station you should easily make the park for a 9:30 start. With a push on it is cyclable in half an hour.

longers

Legendary Member
Yep. Those timings suit me fine.

It'll be First NW trains to Leeds won't it? I don't think they do bike reservations do they?

OP
OP
B

Bokonon

Über Member
Northern Rail officially carry two bikes on a first come first served policy, however I have never had a problem taking a bike on Northern services even when they have been carrying a lot more than 2 bikes.

longers

Legendary Member
Ta, that's what I thought.

The only time I did the train to Leeds was to get the Hewitt from Harrogate and on the return journey the conductor was extremely firm about the rule, even to the point of shutting the doors on someone trying to get on when the spaces were full and she wasn't taking any nonsense from anyone. She was fair but very firm.

A friend met her on a journey to Brum with his bike and she kicked someone off as he had made a reservation and they hadn't.

Hope she's doing the Brum run on the 6th.

ColinJ

longers said:
Yep. Those timings suit me fine.

It'll be First NW trains to Leeds won't it? I don't think they do bike reservations do they?
Would you cycle to Rochdale and catch the Leeds train from there? If so, if you caught the 07:37, that's the one I'd be getting on at 08:00 in Hebden Bridge.

They don't do reservations on those small transpennine trains but we should be okay at that time in the morning. The trains will be a lot busier on the way back but as bokonon says, it's usually no problem. We might have to stand with our bikes if the bike spaces are taken.

I've redrawn the route to display the alternative route proposed above - here it is on Bikely. What do you reckon? It's 85 km (53 miles).

OP
OP
B

Bokonon

Über Member
ColinJ said:
I've redrawn the route to display the alternative route proposed above - here it is on Bikely. What do you reckon? It's 85 km (53 miles).

Looks good. I've put it in the first post as the proposed route and I've stuck the ride into the CC calendar. It almost feels like there is some organising going here...

ColinJ

I've just looked at the satellite pictures of Golden Acre Park - I think I'd marked the start at a farm. The car park appears to be further up the road - I'd better update the route on Bikely! (Done)

shippers

Sorry chaps, I'm out now. Nice lady pulled out in front of me on the way home last night. I was tootling down through headingly, then suddenly I wasn't any more.

I'm fine- bit bruised and what not. Bike is broken though, and I can't see the insurance coming through in 10 days!

Top Bottom