Leeds to Scarborough Saturday September 24: The Yorkshire Adventure

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

si_c

Guru
In London you are never more than 20 feet from a Wetherspoons, a rat, or a Man U supporter.

Aren't the last two the same thing?

si_c

Guru
and there's a Wetherspoons in Leeds Station so you can do the mammoth brekkie there, coffee stop @23 miles, lunch stop @53 miles, fish and chips in Scarborough then a little light supper in the Lord Rosebery

Yup, spoons for breakfast. it still rankle s a little that I had no breakfast for the m2l ride this year. Better planning required this time.

OP
OP
nickyboy

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Full route recce done today and now back home. Just a couple of little modifications to the route but other than that I'm happy with it.

In summary, a couple of miles of tricky urban stuff. Luckily I had local @growingvegetables as far as Crossgates. Non Northerners will get to know the word "ginnel" in the first few miles. It quickly gets out of the city and then there's a few suburban miles and then we're out into the countryside for some rolling miles as far as Cawood. On the way we go through Towton, site of one of the battles in the War of the Roses.
20160808_110510.jpg

Cawood is at 23 miles and there is a nice café in a holiday home complex. Here's the menu and the view
20160808_113757.jpg
20160808_113906.jpg

20 very flat miles through agricultural fields with very few villages and then we are at Stamford Bridge. As mentioned upthread, there is a major reenactment taking place when we pass through. This is the Bridge with the Derwent in the distance
20160808_125805.jpg

The next 11 miles are probably the hilliest of the whole ride as we skirt around the Yorkshire Wolds heading to Malton for the next café stop. However none of the hills are particularly long or steep. Had lunch in the Yorkshire Tea Rooms which were OK. Nothing fancy. There are fancier cafes in Malton if folk prefer. Here is the menu
20160808_134737.jpg

From there it's 28 easy miles to Scarborough mainly along the Derwent Valley.
20160808_150318.jpg

Until we finally get to the jewel in the Yorkshire coast.....

20160808_155443.jpg

I'll write some proper ride notes as usual. Ideally I would prefer a lunch stop earlier than Malton but there isn't anywhere. It really is the Empty Quarter. Malton is a bit close to Scarborough for my liking so we will probably need to have something to eat in Cawood (23 miles) , something light in Malton (54 miles) and then fish and chips in Scarborough (82 miles)

I'll update the ridewithgps files asap

Last edited:
OP
OP
nickyboy

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
A couple more things to add.....

I had a bit of a ride around the town centre looking at pubs on Monday. TBH, there aren't many great options that meet our criteria. I think we will have to go with Wetherspoons as it's big, close to the station and serves food. The only downside is that there is nowhere to store bikes for those heading back in the evening. An option would be to take them to the station and lock them to the proper bike racks on the platform inside the station. The station is about 1minute walk from Wetherspoons

The train management seem pretty relaxed about bikes on the trains. There is an official bike space designed for two bikes with Velcro straps. There were four bikes there on Monday and nobody was bothered

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
@Littgull and I are booked on the 18:50 back from Scarborough. We won't be drinking with you, but hope to have enough time for the fish and chips!

I got my ticket for £6.85 using my Senior Railcard. The return ticket to Leeds was another £4.70.

I'm looking forward to catching up with familiar faces, and meeting the rest of you for the first time! :hello:

OP
OP
nickyboy

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
@Littgull and I are booked on the 18:50 back from Scarborough. We won't be drinking with you, but hope to have enough time for the fish and chips!

I got my ticket for £6.85 using my Senior Railcard. The return ticket to Leeds was another £4.70.

I'm looking forward to catching up with familiar faces, and meeting the rest of you for the first time! :hello:

Good stuff. Here is the official flat route that I'll also stick in Post #1 on this thread. You will see there's a rural route off the main road into Scarborough that we are planning to take. Bearing in mind your train time you should be aware that you can skim a few minutes off the ride by continuing on the main road into Scarborough as we meet up with it again later

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/13665401

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Ah, when I looked at the original route I thought you would change those 2 short sections!

I think there should be plenty of time to do the full route. I'd want to be setting off from Malton no later than (say) 16:45 to allow some potential stoppage time on the run into Scarborough. I can't see that being a problem unless there was the Headwind-From-Hell on the 24th, but you have booked us a tailwind for the day, haven't you? :whistle:

Brian and I will have the route on our Garmins so we could always go on ahead if we needed to.

OP
OP
nickyboy

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Here is the final version of the alternative (slightly) longer and (somewhat) hiller variant of the route. I'll stick it on post#1 too

It is exactly the same to Malton @54 milles, then it heads off into the southern bit of the North Yorkshire Moors and then arrives into Scarborough by the same route as the flatter variant

Entirely up to individuals which one they choose. FWIW I will do the flatter route as most of it after Malton is nice and easy cycling and I will probably do some hillier stuff Sunday, depending on how Saturday night goes of course

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/13704931

Top Bottom