Leeds to Scarborough Saturday September 24: The Yorkshire Adventure

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tommaguzzi

Über Member
OK Nick. I did a recce up to Towton today.

https://www.strava.com/activities/621674937

Riding the old Peugeot with the usual westerly crosswind I did it in 3h 25mins 15 mph average.
I was bolloxed when got home though, I had forgotten just how hard riding 52_42 chain rings with just 5 at the back is.
So it looks like a not to terrible 6.30 kick off for me.

OP
OP
nickyboy

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
OK Nick. I did a recce up to Towton today.

https://www.strava.com/activities/621674937

Riding the old Peugeot with the usual westerly crosswind I did it in 3h 25mins 15 mph average.
I was bolloxed when got home though, I had forgotten just how hard riding 52_42 chain rings with just 5 at the back is.
So it looks like a not to terrible 6.30 kick off for me.

You can relax. I've ordered a nice tailwind especially for the day

OP
OP
nickyboy

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
For those stopping over Saturday night and maybe doing a bit of cycling on the Sunday in the N Yorkshire Moors, this bad boy is within easy reach

upload_2016-6-30_5-25-44.png

I will not be trying that, particularly after enjoying Scarborough's hospitality the night before

upload_2016-6-30_5-27-13.png

DiddlyDodds

Random Resident
I'm also playing around with a slightly hiller version that you may be interested in. The first 50 miles are exactly the same as the one above but it then disappears off into the North Yorshire Moors. I will offer this as an alternative if folk want something a bit more challenging

Just did the C2C in day last weekend and it went over the Yorkshire Moors from Ingleby, and i can vouch for the fact the moors are more than a little hilly, they are VERY hilly

mike3121

5) I think the Leeds locals would agree that the first few miles are not particularly easy cycling so for those participants who don't like the idea of cycling out of the city I will propose another meet up point near Crossgates station. Riders could take a local train from Leeds station to Crossgates station if they fel that cycling out of the city was a dealbreaker. That would shorten the ride to something like 70 miles

I think I will be taking this option
there is a train leaves Leeds station at 09:25 and arrives at Crossgates station at 09:31, should be time for a bacon butty before you all arrive there :hungry:
or there is a train leaves at 08:52 and arrives at 08:58 plenty of time for a full English

Last edited:
OP
OP
nickyboy

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
I think I will be taking this option
there is a train leaves Leeds station at 09:25 and arrives at Crossgates station at 09:31, should be time for a bacon butty before you all arrive there :hungry:
or there is a train leaves at 08:52 and arrives at 08:58 plenty of time for a full English
I suspect the 09.25 should be fine. It is 7 tricky miles with plenty of junctions to get to Crossgates so I can't see us doing it in less than half an hour. You may have to eat your butty with one hand and steer with the other though

[QUOTE="mike3121, post: 4350481, member: 41143"... should be time for a bacon butty before you all arrive there :hungry:[/QUOTE]
Easy.

There will be a small catch though - you'll have to have them lined up forthe rest of us on arrival :whistle:. NO ketchup or brown sauce on mine, please.

Hmm - a wee challenge for you ............................................ no bacon on mine, please :evil::smile:

OP
OP
nickyboy

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
We're talking trains........

The Advance tickets are all on sale now

For info, I'm planning on organising a little Friday evening carb loading session at the Marble Arch in Manchester again. I will get the train from Manchester to Leeds on Saturday morning. As mentioned upthread, the route is very nice over the Pennines and only takes about 50 minutes

I'll be getting the 07.57 out of Piccadilly which gets to Leeds at 08.46 and costs about £6. Alternative is the 07.51 from Manchester Victoria if that is better for you

OP
OP
nickyboy

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Sorry, but I'm out. The cost of travel, food, and accommodation is just too great, and I'll only have been back from the Fridays Tour for a few days, so I'm having to look carefully at finances as it is. I'm sure it will be a grand day out.

I too am out. Took one look at the fares- Leeds and York both astronomical- and decided to pass.

What a pity. Hope the fares up to Manchester aren't similarly expensive for those thinking of that route

I'm going to do the full route recce in the next week or two so will post some hopefully nice piccies to get folk in the mood

OP
OP
nickyboy

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Look at fares from Scarborough - York and York - Leeds. You might find that makes the same journey quite a bit cheaper.

For fairly complicated journeys such as London - Leeds then Scarborough - London return I would use a website like this

https://raileasy.trainsplit.com/main.aspx

As @NorthernDave says the leg out of Scarborough is not available as an Advance ticket so trying to book Scarborough - anywhere means the standard booking websites don't show the Advance options from, say, York

Top Bottom