Leeds to Scarborough Saturday September 24: The Yorkshire Adventure

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
For fairly complicated journeys such as London - Leeds then Scarborough - London return I would use a website like this

https://raileasy.trainsplit.com/main.aspx

As @NorthernDave says the leg out of Scarborough is not available as an Advance ticket so trying to book Scarborough - anywhere means the standard booking websites don't show the Advance options from, say, York
I only looked at trains up, that was enough...have just rechecked on Raileasy and the prices did not get any better..both ways would be well over £100 regardless of time of travel.

mike3121

My ticket from Scarborough to Leeds £7.20

National Rail Enquiries

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
I've just looked at the cost of travel and it's outrageous. A whole £5.50.
Well I for one am not prepared to put up with such outright robbery. I'll be riding to Leeds instead, that'll cost me nowt*

* If it's raining/I get up late/can't be arsed I reserve the right to chicken out and get the train anyway..........

OP
OP
nickyboy

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Subject to best day weatherwise I'm going to do a full recce the week after next. That will include a coffee stop at Cawood, a lunch stop at Malton and Fish and Chips at Scarborough. Maybe a pint or two before getting the train home too. Anyone who fancies it can tag along. One proviso is that it will be at a reasonable pace (about 16mph) rather than the more social pace we will ride on the day. Without wanting to sound rude, if you can't manage that pace for 80 miles or so (albeit there will be a decent tailwind on the day I choose) then please save your ride for the Big Day. When the day is fixed I'll post here with timings etc

OP
OP
nickyboy

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
I'd guess the latter tbh.

No way, I like my stops I do

16mph is a guess. I did that average Glossop - Scarborough last year which is quite a bit longer and hillier (Pennines and the Wolds). What I was trying to say is that it won't be 12-13mph like the Big Adventure pace

si_c

Guru
Looks like I'm changing plans, Wife has decided that seeing as we're going away at the end of the year, a few days in Scarborough is not that exciting and she'd rather spend the money on a "proper" holiday. Don't understand to be honest. Either way I'm going to be doing the ride, but I'll have to get the last train back to Liverpool on the day (20:50) so should be ok for food and a beer, but not staying over.

On the upside, the train gets in at midnight, so I'll have to ride through the tunnel to get home. Bonus :bicycle::stop:

OP
OP
nickyboy

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Has the decision been made on which pub is the finishing line?

Unfortunately not yet

I've asked on here for some suggestions from locals but nothing yet. It needs to be big enough for a reasonable number, not too far from the train station, ideally(although not essential) that it serves food Saturday evening and...of course...it has a reasonable beer selection

I will be riding to Scarborough for the recce this coming Monday. If I have time to scout out options then I will do. But I would prefer local recommendations if possible

OP
OP
nickyboy

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Looks like I'm changing plans, Wife has decided that seeing as we're going away at the end of the year, a few days in Scarborough is not that exciting and she'd rather spend the money on a "proper" holiday. Don't understand to be honest. Either way I'm going to be doing the ride, but I'll have to get the last train back to Liverpool on the day (20:50) so should be ok for food and a beer, but not staying over.

On the upside, the train gets in at midnight, so I'll have to ride through the tunnel to get home. Bonus :bicycle::stop:

If you get a wriggle on after the Malton lunch stop you should make Scarborough 5pm latest so plenty of time for fish and chips and a few beers. As mentioned in the post above I'm looking for a pub close to the station as well

si_c

Guru
If you get a wriggle on after the Malton lunch stop you should make Scarborough 5pm latest so plenty of time for fish and chips and a few beers. As mentioned in the post above I'm looking for a pub close to the station as well

That's broadly what I was thinking, couple of beers :cheers: then snooze on the train home. It's the TP, so direct, and it's the last one, so I'm sure they'll wake me up when I get there

Top Bottom