Leeds to Scarborough Saturday September 24: The Yorkshire Adventure

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
nickyboy

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
I think I will be taking this option
there is a train leaves Leeds station at 09:25 and arrives at Crossgates station at 09:31, should be time for a bacon butty before you all arrive there :hungry:
or there is a train leaves at 08:52 and arrives at 08:58 plenty of time for a full English

Having done the recce the 09.25 will be fine. There is no chance of us getting to the Crosgates meet up before 09.45 because there are so many junctions, pelican crossing as the like in the first couple of miles. This should give you time for a bacon butty and then ride to the meetup from Crossgates station which is about 2-3 minutes away

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Here is the final version of the alternative (slightly) longer and (somewhat) hiller variant of the route. I'll stick it on post#1 too

It is exactly the same to Malton @54 milles, then it heads off into the southern bit of the North Yorkshire Moors and then arrives into Scarborough by the same route as the flatter variant

Entirely up to individuals which one they choose. FWIW I will do the flatter route as most of it after Malton is nice and easy cycling and I will probably do some hillier stuff Sunday, depending on how Saturday night goes of course

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/13704931
The hillier route that you posted comes into Scarborough from the north rather than the south! I have done the calculations below based on that, but it would be easier just to drop down to the other route and come in on that.

If the weather is okay on the day and we leave Malton in good time (by 15:00?) then I'd be tempted by that hillier ending. I think @Littgull would probably join me unless he decides that he fancies the flat route as a change from our local hills. I'd be happy to be navigator for anybody else who fancies it.

If we left by 15:00, we would only have to aim to average about 16 kph (10 mph) for the 52 km (33 miles) from Malton to Scarborough in order for me (and Littgull?) to be relaxed about catching the 18:50 train. At that speed, we would arrive with half an hour to spare I wouldn't want to cut it finer than that though. It looks like about 600 m (2,000 ft) of climbing from Malton to Scarborough by your route.

If there isn't any interest in the hills, the weather is bad, or we are running late then I'll stick with everyone else on the flatter route.

OP
OP
nickyboy

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
The hillier route that you posted comes into Scarborough from the north rather than the south! I have done the calculations below based on that, but it would be easier just to drop down to the other route and come in on that.

If the weather is okay on the day and we leave Malton in good time (by 15:00?) then I'd be tempted by that hillier ending. I think @Littgull would probably join me unless he decides that he fancies the flat route as a change from our local hills. I'd be happy to be navigator for anybody else who fancies it.

If we left by 15:00, we would only have to aim to average about 16 kph (10 mph) for the 52 km (33 miles) from Malton to Scarborough in order for me (and Littgull?) to be relaxed about catching the 18:50 train. At that speed, we would arrive with half an hour to spare I wouldn't want to cut it finer than that though. It looks like about 600 m (2,000 ft) of climbing from Malton to Scarborough by your route.

If there isn't any interest in the hills, the weather is bad, or we are running late then I'll stick with everyone else on the flatter route.

Yes, thanks for that. I've updated the run into Scarborough on the hillier option so it should be the same as the flatter one now

The end of the ride is the Chippy. But bear in mind that the train station is probably about 10 minutes cycling on from there

ColinJ

Or even the shortcut shown in blue here ...

Scarborough finishes.jpg

OP
OP
nickyboy

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Folk can take whatever shortcuts they want on the ride if they're short of time or a bit knackered

But the official route is fixed now and folk can download whenever they like.

Please note that I've extended the route slightly so it no longer finishes at the Chippy. It now finishes at the Wetherspoons in Scarborough. This is about a minute from the station. So anyone getting the train back or popping into the pub for a quick pint can stop off at the chippy and then continue to follow the route after that

I know some folk will have the fish and chips and then dump the bike at their accommodation and then come to the pub. If you're one of these you need to sort out your route from the chippy to accommodation then accommodation to the pub. My routemaster skills do not extend this far

Buck

Guru
I'm hoping to attend this as it sounds a great ride.

I just need to sort logistics before confirming.

OP
OP
nickyboy

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
I'm hoping to attend this as it sounds a great ride.

I just need to sort logistics before confirming.

No problem, it's all very relaxed. I'll stick you on the "Expressions of Interest" list in post #1. The idea is that nearer the date you give me a firm yes or no when you know yourself. The Expressions list gets you the ride notes I'll send out soonish and any other messages I need to send to potential participants

ColinJ

The chippy has some splendid reviews online so I hope that Littgull and I have time to see if we agree!

I think that both the flat and hilly versions of the route look great. I'll put all the variations on my GPS and choose which one to do as the ride progresses.

doughnut

Veteran
Is Mrs @mythste still going? Mrs doughnut was asking today. We've not booked any accommodation yet, but probably will this weekend. I will probably get a lift from her to Leeds, and she will drive onto Scarborough so should be there about lunchtime or early afternoon.

doughnut

Veteran
Oops, pressed send to quickly - same deal as normal, if you are able to catch us at Leeds then you can throw your bags into the back of our car and pick them up later on at the chip shop or pub.

OP
OP
nickyboy

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Oops, pressed send to quickly - same deal as normal, if you are able to catch us at Leeds then you can throw your bags into the back of our car and pick them up later on at the chip shop or pub.

I'd not considered this additional layer of complexity. I think the pick up/drop off car park is Aire St. Can a local confirm ?@growingvegetables @NorthernDave @User46386

This will all be in the Ride Notes. But what this means is that if you are arriving by train you will need the NORTH exit to Leeds Station to get to the car park (and also if you want to go to Mac D or Wetherspoons for breakfast) but we will meet at the SOUTH exit. You can only officially exit once with your ticket. So you will have to ask the attendant at the NORTH exit if you can pop out, then pop back in. Then you need to exit officially (it will take your train ticket) via the SOUTH exit

@growingvegetables confirms that the attendant has no problem with this arrangement

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
The pick up / drop off and car park is indeed at the Aire Street entrance which is through the North ticket barrier and out along the old concourse through the ticket hall by Wetherspoons. There is no parking (officially) at the South entrance, just drop off and I'm told that no waiting is enforced.

Edit to add staff on the barrier are usually quite helpful so it shouldn't be a problem, just ask - as @nickyboy says do NOT put your ticket in the barrier as it will retain it. :eek:

Last edited:
Top Bottom