Lidl... the not so nice side.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
Head offices indifference and lack of action tars all the stores. They may not endorse such behaviour, but they are unwilling to apologise and take action when it does.

I've never had a problem at Lidl personally, but I've never tried to take a guide dog ro und one, so ive not been put in that position.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
It is an unfortunate incident but suggesting that this is somehow a cultural issue in Lidl is going too far. They do not, as far I am aware, have a track record for this sort of thing. It was just some poorly educated, poorly trained minimum wage employee who got it wrong. Whilst it sounds HQ's response hasn't been as fulsome as one would like I wouldn't support the idea that this is anything other than a local issue that requires some training to resolve.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
It'll be an individual at the store. I've seen a couple of assistance dogs in our local one.
I was going to say the same. There are a whole bunch of blind folk use the Lidl that we go to. They have their assistance dogs. We also see, fairly regularly, an assistance dog for a lady in a wheelchair in Lidl too.

I think that it's a training problem with that member of staff. Shocking behaviour though. I would be writing a stiffly worded letter to the store manager and cc-ing it to the UK head office.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Very good Marky. Because it's only a blind person that's the victim we should let it go, approve of Lidl doing nothing. Let them break whatever law they want, because there's no harm done really if it's a blind person being humiliated.

So where do you draw the line? What laws do you think are worthy of enforcing? Which victims do you think we should stand up for?

I'm not suggesting they go to prison or get the birch, they've broken to law and some kind of community resolution disposal leaves them without a criminal record, yet forces them to acknowledge they acted unlawfully.

"broken the law" , ffs !

Not in the least. Not because its only a blind person. But a 'person' who could have so easily rectified the situation. Someone was told they couldn't allow dogs in. It's not like not allowing black people in, you can see if they weren't told exactly the rules how this mistake could happen. Not ideal, but as said above, some 16yo on minimum wage, trained for half a day and let loose can make this mistake

Sorry to push, but was the person so mortified they couldn't ask for a manger to clarify the situation?

I do agree that HO should man up and appologise though, that's not nice.

I spend a year at uni living with a blind girl who had a guide dog. She got frustrated with people talking loudly at her like she was an idiot. Crap liked this happened. People didn't know how to deal with her. She politely told them and got on with things perfectly happily. A simple - "Ask your manager and let them tell me" would have sufficed and I bet they woulnd;t have made the same mistake. To be punished is just ludicrous.

Last edited:

MisterStan

Label Required
Head offices indifference and lack of action tars all the stores. They may not endorse such behaviour, but they are unwilling to apologise and take action when it does.

I've never had a problem at Lidl personally, but I've never tried to take a guide dog ro und one, so ive not been put in that position.
Like RLJing tars all cyclists?

Seriously, get over yourself.

KneesUp

Guru
"broken the law" , ffs !
Yes, they have broken the law.

The Equality Act 2010 states that blind and partially sighted people have the same right to services supplied by shops, banks, hotels, libraries, pubs, public transport, taxis and restaurants as everyone else.

I take it you don't think this law is 'proper' in some way or other?

nickyboy

Norven Mankey

The Equality Act 2010 states that blind and partially sighted people have the same right to services supplied by shops, banks, hotels, libraries, pubs, public transport, taxis and restaurants as everyone else.

Bit of common sense needed here I think. If Lidl said that their policy was not to allow guide dogs in their stores then of course full force of the law etc etc.

But that's not the case. It's some poorly trained, low wage employee who got it wrong. What should happen here is Lidl issues some training directive to all its staff and invites man & dog to store for some free dog food and a bit of nice PR in the local paper.

Profpointy

Legendary Member

Doesn't say "must allow guide dogs" though does it? They could ban dogs and make other "reasonable provision" if they were so minded.

One guard has clearly goofed, as it is pretty inconceivable that Lidl has any such policy.

Putting up a shed without planning permission is possibly "breaking the law", but I'd not expect my neighbours to call the police, though I might quite rightly get a letter from the council.

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
Like RLJing tars all cyclists?

Seriously, get over yourself.
Get real. I'm not in charge of all cyclists. My actions only reflect upon myself.

Unlike me, Lidls head office is in charge of the entire organisation. Their actions reflect on the entire organisation, seeing as it is they that set the standards and enforce them... or not.

If you must use a simile you should at least use one appropriate to the comparison you are trying to make, otherwise you then look rather stupid when you punctuate it with "get over yourself". Seriously, think before you type.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
And what do you expect the police to do? Not all breaches of the Equality Act constitute a criminal offence and fall within the jurisdiction of the criminal justice system. Most in fact fall within the civil justice system.

And if the gentleman concerned allowed his experience to directly influence decisions around trading licenses, then that potentially would be a display of bias and the basis for a claim if misconduct in a public office. He should properly declare an interest and recuse himself from any consideration of such matters.

Should probably call the police if he's misusing his powers..

Top Bottom